Non-alcoholic Drink Packages

Thunderbird19

Will be on Grand Princess for an Alaska cruise later this year.

New to Princess and want to understand its non-alcoholic drink packages and how/where to use them.   Per Princess website:

A. the Coffee & Soda Package includes "specialty coffees and teas, hot chocolate, sodas, juice, mocktails, smoothies and frappes at Coffee & Cones.

B. the Soda Package includes soda, juice, mocktails and smoothies

1. So, in reality, how available are smoothies, mocktails and fruit juice throughout the ship?  

2. Are these items, along with soda, available at most of the bars or would be limited to only a couple places that would serve the non soda items in the packages?  

3. What are the "specialty coffees and teas" mentioned in the first package above and where can they be ordered?  I would be surprised if this includes the Starbucks like espresso drinks served at the cafe...or does it? 

4. Do you need to have a drink package to be able to order, for example, coffee, tea, a mocktail or juice at lunch or dinner in the main restaurant or do the packages only apply to drinks ordered at bars and places other than restaurant or buffet?

Thanks for any information you can share. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Thunderbird19 said:

Will be on Grand Princess for an Alaska cruise later this year.

New to Princess and want to understand its non-alcoholic drink packages and how/where to use them.   Per Princess website:

A. the Coffee & Soda Package includes "specialty coffees and teas, hot chocolate, sodas, juice, mocktails, smoothies and frappes at Coffee & Cones.

B. the Soda Package includes soda, juice, mocktails and smoothies

1. So, in reality, how available are smoothies, mocktails and fruit juice throughout the ship?  VARIOUS BARS OR DR's.

2. Are these items, along with soda, available at most of the bars or would be limited to only a couple places that would serve the non soda items in the packages?  ANY OF THE BARS

3. What are the "specialty coffees and teas" mentioned in the first package above and where can they be ordered?  I would be surprised if this includes the Starbucks like espresso drinks served at the cafe...or does it?  INTERNET CAFE.  YES, THEY HAVE ESPRESSO.

4. Do you need to have a drink package to be able to order, for example, coffee, tea, a mocktail or juice at lunch or dinner in the main restaurant or do the packages only apply to drinks ordered at bars and places other than restaurant or buffet?  YOU CAN ORDER THE LISTED DRINKS IN THE DR's.  COFFEE & TEA ARE INCLUDED FREE WITH A MEAL - BUT NOT THE INTERNET CAFE COFFEE.  YOU CAN ORDER AND PAY FOR ANY OF THE DRINKS IF NOT ON THE PACKAGE - CHARGED TO ROOM.

NOTE THAT IF YOU HAVE THE COFFEE PACKAGE, YOU GET U/L REGULAR COFFEE BUT ONLY 15 SPECIALTY COFFEES.

Thanks for any information you can share. 

See above at each item #.

thanks so much for prompt response.  wondering if package is worth it or to just pay as you go.  had read that "mocktails and smoothies" were very hard to find on a cruise (only found in 1 or 2 bars) but cant recall if it was Princess.

So, you get unlimited coffee and soda at the buffet and main dining room free anyway but buying a package allows you to also get those at all bars and some cafes?

32 minutes ago, Thunderbird19 said:

thanks so much for prompt response.  wondering if package is worth it or to just pay as you go.  had read that "mocktails and smoothies" were very hard to find on a cruise (only found in 1 or 2 bars) but cant recall if it was Princess.

So, you get unlimited coffee and soda at the buffet and main dining room free anyway but buying a package allows you to also get those at all bars and some cafes?

No, you don't get free soda anywhere.  

Coffee & tea can be ordered free with a meal, but it isn't always great coffee from what I read (I don't drink coffee).  The DR coffee was made from a syrup in the past - except on Royal Class ships.  Best coffee is from International Cafe - and there is a price for even regular coffee.  It is brewed fresh from ground beans there.  You cannot get IC coffee & teas at any old bar.  Sometimes there is a secondary location, but typically from the IC.  The Royal Class ships have a location in the Worldfresh Market (buffet) that also offers the IC style coffee.  So does Island and I presume Coral.  Not sure what the other ships have now outside of the IC.  

You could order a coffee from IC in the DR, but best not to do that if dining in the Aft DR.

47 minutes ago, Thunderbird19 said:

There is no ‘free’ soda on board. Complimentary regular coffee, ice tea, hot tea, water, and juices in the morning are available in the MDR and Buffett. 

Princess offers a coffee pkg which was previously known as the Coffee card for a one time charge $31 plus 18% gratuity which entitles you to 15 specialty coffees(Starbucks like) and unlimited free ‘brewed’ coffee from the International cafe . You can combine this with the soda only package which is about $12/day. You also get unlimited hot chocolate and specialty teas. 

If you want unlimited specialty coffee throughout your cruise and soda, Princess offers the Coffee and Soda pkg, which is $20 something per day plus tips. 

You have to decide how much you think you will drink and do the math which if any drink package is beneficial to you. When you reach your 15 limit on the Coffee card/package you can then order ala carte and pay for each or buy another card/pkg which is loaded into your Medallion. Any unused are lost at the end of your sailing.

The Grand has Coffee and Cones on the Lido deck by the pool where you can get some specialty coffees and they make a Mocha Milkshake with real ice cream and espresso, which is a drink covered on either coffee and soda package of the 15 count package. 

I see @Steelers36replied at the same time.

Edited by wallyj
  • Like 1

Also note that sodas included are only fountain sodas from the guns---no cans. You can order these in MDR and Buffet, but be sure and tell them you have a package. If they bring you a can, they will charge you.

Mocktails should be available at any bar since they can pretty much be many alcoholic beverages made without the alcohol.... Smoothies and frappes are pretty limited---Coffee and Cones---not sure if even available on ships without C&C.

Some thoughts

Thunderbird19, assume you do not have the "Plus" fares which include the beverage package wifi and gratuities. If you do have the plus fare then there is no need to purchase an additional beverage package.

Mocktails can be made at any bar. They can be standard or prepared to your taste. A standard selection of juices are available at no charge during breakfast hours, maybe to 11am. After that there would be a charge when ordered at a bar. Fresh squeezed juices are not available on all ships and limited to certain bars. Sodas are fountain sodas and are limited. Canned soda is not included.

Doing 2 Alaska cruises, have plus package going north but did not choose it coming back south.  Thanks for all the info.  Think husband and i will just get classic soda package (fountain sodas, fresh juices - if available - mocktails and smoothies) and I will add 15 drink New Grounds package for me (the espresso drinks can be shared so that will provide 5 or 6 opportunities for us to share a good coffee and pastry together - he wouldn't want more than that).  Mocktails will be just fine!

Really curious about how easy to find and available fresh juices and smoothies are available on the Princess Grand....I will find out in August!  I think it is a bit disingenuous t include an item in a package and then have it only available in one or 2 places at limited times.

Edited by Thunderbird19

22 hours ago, Thunderbird19 said:

Doing 2 Alaska cruises, have plus package going north but did not choose it coming back south.  Thanks for all the info.  Think husband and i will just get classic soda package (fountain sodas, fresh juices - if available - mocktails and smoothies) and I will add 15 drink New Grounds package for me (the espresso drinks can be shared so that will provide 5 or 6 opportunities for us to share a good coffee and pastry together - he wouldn't want more than that).  Mocktails will be just fine!

Really curious about how easy to find and available fresh juices and smoothies are available on the Princess Grand....I will find out in August!  I think it is a bit disingenuous t include an item in a package and then have it only available in one or 2 places at limited times.

When factoring out tips, the plus package is 25.50 per day for wifi and unlimited non alcoholic and up to 15 alcoholic drinks.  You do you, but why would you only get it for the front end of your B2B?  Even if you only drink 2 alcoholic drinks a day, it's worth it.

On 6/18/2022 at 10:08 PM, Steelers36 said:

The DR coffee was made from a syrup in the past - except on Royal Class ships. 

I was appalled at the horrid coffee we were served in MDR on our recent Royal Princess cruise. We had coffee several nights hoping it would improve but it was really awful.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Thrak said:

I was appalled at the horrid coffee we were served in MDR on our recent Royal Princess cruise. We had coffee several nights hoping it would improve but it was really awful.

I will let my wife know.  She can always try a coffee and see what happens on Regal in October and then revert to the IC all the time if necessary.

4 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

I will let my wife know.  She can always try a coffee and see what happens on Regal in October and then revert to the IC all the time if necessary.

It was quite a surprise. I had told my wife that I've been reading for a long time now how the coffee on the Royal class ships is fresh ground and quite good. We were both soooooooooo disappointed to be served horrid swill. (We grind each pot fresh at home.)

On 6/25/2022 at 2:38 PM, Thunderbird19 said:

Really curious about how easy to find and available fresh juices and smoothies are available on the Princess Grand....

We were on Grand Princess last month.  We had the Princess Plus package although we don’t drink alcohol.  There was no fresh juice or smoothies I could find but I did have a milkshake at Coffee and Cones every day.

• Thanks 1

A couple of thoughts, if you purchase the non alcoholic package would you be able to order the  Heinekin 0.0 ? also as I have the plus package if I fancied one of those for a change does it count as one of my 15 drinks in a day.

CruzinSusan70,   correct there is not a big price difference.   But we have the Plus package going northbound and will enjoy alcohol on that part of the trip.  Just decided to change it up and try the Soda package on the southbound (healthier!?) portion and can do mocktails.  Cheers!

And wifi in the ports will be fine, want to see if we really need/miss it onboard.

Edited by Thunderbird19

On 6/26/2022 at 10:16 AM, Thrak said:

My friend ordered coffee from the MDR and said the same thing about the awful coffee.  He decided to treat himself to good coffee 1-2x a day instead after about the 3rd day.

I think others may have already answered, but I will too since I bought the soda package and used it often (well, 3-5x a day).  I will also have a warning at the end of my post.

1. So, in reality, how available are smoothies, mocktails and fruit juice throughout the ship?  I don't drink smoothies, so I can't answer, but I saw some drinks from room service menu with "mango nectar" so I assume those are smoothie-like.  My guess is that you can order from any bar as well since Room Service has to get it from a bar.  Mocktails and juices along w/fountain sodas are available at every bar.  They are also available through any roaming server in the buffet and 5th floor near the International Cafe.  In addition, you can order from your waitstaff in the main dining room (MDR)

2. Are these items, along with soda, available at most of the bars or would be limited to only a couple places that would serve the non soda items in the packages?  See above. 

3. What are the "specialty coffees and teas" mentioned in the first package above and where can they be ordered?  I would be surprised if this includes the Starbucks like espresso drinks served at the cafe...or does it?   I'm pretty sure it would include espressos, etc.  I don't drink coffee so I don't know what's really available, but they are referring to more than regular coffee/tea.  There is a coffee bar next to the International Cafe, and you can get different frappes at Coffees and Cones.

4. Do you need to have a drink package to be able to order, for example, coffee, tea, a mocktail or juice at lunch or dinner in the main restaurant or do the packages only apply to drinks ordered at bars and places other than restaurant or buffet?  You don't need a drink package to order any of the items mentioned, but you will be charged for each drink.  Certain items are available for free during certain meals. For example, you can get free juice during breakfast (might not be all juices).  You can get free coffee and tea during meals, but they are your regular coffee/tea (think work coffee/tea).

WARNING:  2 of us in our party of 6 got the soda package (soda, mocktails, and juices), so we had a lot of experience:

- the quality of drinks varied from location to location.  Sodas delivered in the MDR were flat.  The Coke always tasted like Diet Coke.  The Coke from a specific bar near the buffet was always delivered in a large cup and with lots of bubbles.  One time I walked over to order, and I heard the waitstaff order sodas adding "bubbly, bubbly!" to the bartenders.  So be careful.  Send it back if it's bad

- When you order, state that you have a "soda" package or whatever package you have.  I know you shouldn't have to do that because they should know... but they don't.  Therefore, you will be charged and have to fix your bill on a regular basis.  They will, of course, question you as they should before removing the charges; it's frustrating for everyone involved.  The waitstaff is supposed to zap your medallion, but they ask for room number instead.

- if they give you a can of soda, remind them that you have a soda package and don't want to be charged.  If they give you a bottle of water, beware because you might be charged.  We started to ask for "a glass of water" instead of just "water."  

Check your bill as often as you like, but I chose to check every other day so that I don't have to have the same conversation every day yet not let it go too long in between.  Be nice to the Guest Service rep.  It's not their fault, and they are trying to fix it.  They are hearing the same complaints from a lot of guests.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/26/2022 at 4:36 PM, Senga said:

We were on Grand Princess last month.  We had the Princess Plus package although we don’t drink alcohol.  There was no fresh juice or smoothies I could find but I did have a milkshake at Coffee and Cones every day.

I was on the Grand in December. I did have fresh orange juice in the dining room daily for breakfast.

I also had the Princess Plus and do not drink alcohol. I had no problems ordering non-alcoholic drinks anywhere. I did not try to order smoothies.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Coral said:

I was on the Grand in December. I did have fresh orange juice in the dining room daily for breakfast.

I’ll have to remember that.  Was never given the option of “fresh” o.j. in the dining room and didn’t know to ask.