Is there a Mariner discount for upcharge items in the main dining room?

Bad1987

1 hour ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

Nope.  They used to in specialty restaurants now that’s gone too.

Do you mean HAL no longer offers the discount to dine in Pinnacle or Canaletto for 3-5star Mariners? That was a good benefit 

The Mariner discount applies to the main dinner charge only.  Apparently if you order an "add on cost" item, such as lobster the discount doesn't apply. I have no first hand experience but that is what has been reported on CC by others.  Nickle....dime......

• Like 2

I asked this question on the Zuiderdam in April and was told by my MDR waiter that I would receive my 5* Mariner discount on surcharge items.  I did not take advantage of it so I cannot confirm the discount.

Since this discount is not expressly stated in the Mariner Society FAQs, each ship may be applying it's own interpretation. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, USN59-79 said:

I'm confused.  Either what @Florida_gal_50 said or what @oakridger said is correct - they can't both be.

Ray

I read Florida gal's comment in post #2 above to mean that mariners did not get a discount on upcharge items in either the MDR or Specialty restaurants.  People do still get Mariner discount on the specialty restaurant dinner charges. I thought we were saying the same thing!  I was answering @sandiego1 because I thought they took Florida gal to mean that there was no Mariner discount for the Specialty restaurants at all!

6 hours ago, sandiego1 said:

Do you mean HAL no longer offers the discount to dine in Pinnacle or Canaletto for 3-5star Mariners? That was a good benefit 

'

Anyway, maybe it all got lost in translation!! 😬

@Crew News could very well be right that the upcharge discount varies from ship to ship.  HAL is not very consistent!!!!

~Nancy

• Like 1

1 hour ago, oakridger said:

I read Florida gal's comment in post #2 above to mean that mariners did not get a discount on upcharge items in either the MDR or Specialty restaurants.  People do still get Mariner discount on the specialty restaurant dinner charges. I thought we were saying the same thing!  I was answering @sandiego1 because I thought they took Florida gal to mean that there was no Mariner discount for the Specialty restaurants at all!

'

Anyway, maybe it all got lost in translation!! 😬

@Crew News could very well be right that the upcharge discount varies from ship to ship.  HAL is not very consistent!!!!

~Nancy

Yes I answered the question that was asked by the op.  I’m not sure why anyone would think I was talking about the regular Mariners discount at specialty restaurants.  As you understood I was replying about the UPCHARGE items.  I had the lobster in the tamarind on the koningsdam in March.  I had assumed I would get the Mariners discount on that.  When I didn’t I asked and was told it was no longer applicable.  I had received the discount in November.  Whether that was only the koningsdam I can’t speak to that.  I can only go by what I experienced and heard.  It would be nice if hal would be consistent.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Crew News said:

I asked this question on the Zuiderdam in April and was told by my MDR waiter that I would receive my 5* Mariner discount on surcharge items.  I did not take advantage of it so I cannot confirm the discount.

Since this discount is not expressly stated in the Mariner Society FAQs, each ship may be applying it's own interpretation. 

This is equally odd.  It was my understanding that you would never receive that discount in the mdr, only specialty restaurants.  I have never ordered an upcharge item in the mdr because it doesn’t appeal to me.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, northernphoenix said:

We had reserved and paid for Rudi and Tamarind in advance.  We are three star …is the discount applied as a credit to or onboard account?

Yes... you probably will see a credit for the prepaid amount and a debit for the discounted amount (sometimes after the evening of the dinner). 

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, northernphoenix said:

We had reserved and paid for Rudi and Tamarind in advance.  We are three star …is the discount applied as a credit to or onboard account?

17 minutes ago, Lido - Lanai said:

Yes... you probably will see a credit for the prepaid amount and a debit for the discounted amount (sometimes after the evening of the dinner). 

I’ve always seen the Mariner discount simply posted as OBC with the words “loyalty” next to the credit.  

• Like 5

5 hours ago, CruiserBruce said:

On KDam in March we got the discount on upcharge items.

Nice, I specifically asked why I didn't get it and was told it was no longer available.  It "should" have happened automatically but didn't.  I don't know why I'm surprised given all the accounting errors on my billing.  What restaurant did you receive the discount at and what on?  My was lobster in the tamarind as I had mentioned.  Thanks.

3 hours ago, northernphoenix said:

But the op is not talking about that.  They are talking about the upcharge items.  I did get the mariners discount after fighting tooth and nail for it.

1 hour ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

Nice, I specifically asked why I didn't get it and was told it was no longer available.  It "should" have happened automatically but didn't.  I don't know why I'm surprised given all the accounting errors on my billing.  What restaurant did you receive the discount at and what on?  My was lobster in the tamarind as I had mentioned.  Thanks.

Pinnacle crab cakes.

19 hours ago, Bad1987 said:

Does anyone know if they offer a 4 star mariner discount in the main dining room for upcharge items? Lobster/Shrimp

LOL!  I imagine it won't be long before they add an additional surcharge for 4 and 5* Mariners as a "thanks" for their loyalty.

Hnak

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, CruiserBruce said:

Pinnacle crab cakes.

So you got them in the mdr?  They definitely aren’t an up charge item in the pinnacle.  How much would they even charge?  I think I’m going to email the Mariners society because that’s super annoying to be told it doesn’t apply if it does.  Thanks for the information.

59 minutes ago, lstrong said:

What is the mariner’s society email?  I was on hold an hour wanting to get a new PCC assigned because my old one has left HAL. Finally gave up:(

Mariner_society@hollandamerica.com

That said I’m not sure they can help with your query even though others have suggested they can.  The guest relations might be better that someone suggested.  That one is super slow to respond in my experience.  Good luck.

On 6/20/2022 at 4:59 PM, lstrong said:

What is the mariner’s society email?  I was on hold an hour wanting to get a new PCC assigned because my old one has left HAL. Finally gave up:(

When my PCC left HAL in 2020, I was assigned to another without asking -- happily it was one that had helped me in the past when PCC#1 had been on vacation. If you have any personal communication from HAL, the name will be in the header. If you don't, you could call 1-800-355-3017 (the PCC line) and just stay on the line (when it says to enter the extension) or if it asks, key the number to reach "someone". There is a back-up person to talk to. You can supply your name and/or Mariner number and ask them to look up if you have an assigned PCC, and if not ask that person to forward you to someone who can rectify the situation!

I'm  three star member,And this is the first I've heard of up charges, I think it's time to quit cruising$15.50 a day , no laundry services, paying for food What next charges to being my luggage to my room. I'm done..