Another Rockslide in Skagway June 23,2022

Just now, Ourusualbeach said:

Saw that on our roll call.  Does not look good for upcoming sailings. 

Quantum was supposed to be there today but headed to Dawes Glacier instead based on the live report.  There are a bunch of pictures on another site that show the damage.  It is in an area that we were lined up for the White Pass excursion last month.  It is the only dock that Ovation and Quantum can use, so time will tell...

• Like 1

On Monday the President's cruise is scheduled to be there with a Block Party in Skagway.  From those photos it looks like they could clean up the debris fairly quickly.  The question would be how much the dock is damaged.  Can they safely open it for foot traffic?  It would be a pain, but they could tender the passenger around the damage to the small boat harbor.  We will know Monday

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Blizzard54 said:

On Monday the President's cruise is scheduled to be there with a Block Party in Skagway.  From those photos it looks like they could clean up the debris fairly quickly.  The question would be how much the dock is damaged.  Can they safely open it for foot traffic?  It would be a pain, but they could tender the passenger around the damage to the small boat harbor.  We will know Monday

A local paper there said they would have engineers out tomorrow. Hopefully everything looks stable and the ships can dock again. 🙂 Thankful it wasn’t worse, and no one was injured.

From my limited experience with slides, the problem is not the debris or the dock damage, it's the slide itself. It has be be stable before they let people under it and this does not look like an easy slide to stabilize. 

skagway.png

• Like 1

My brother is on the Carnival Miracle in Skagway this morning, they are tied up to the dock but using the tenders to take everyone off the ship and to the parking lot, since no one is allowed to walk it as a result of the rock slide.  He says its going very quickly but that everyone who was booked on the 8am train was moved to the noon one since tendering didn't start until 8am.   We are on an Ovation stop in Skagway in a few weeks so hoping they are able to work something out.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/24/2022 at 10:33 AM, T-2 said:

My brother is on the Carnival Miracle in Skagway this morning, they are tied up to the dock but using the tenders to take everyone off the ship and to the parking lot, since no one is allowed to walk it as a result of the rock slide.  He says its going very quickly but that everyone who was booked on the 8am train was moved to the noon one since tendering didn't start until 8am.   We are on an Ovation stop in Skagway in a few weeks so hoping they are able to work something out.

We just got off the Ovation yesterday.  We also had to tender. It went well going ashore but I heard there was a backup in the line coming back to the ship, particularly when the train came back.  I had the opportunity to speak to the Mayor of Skagway at the Royal Block Party.  They are still working on analysis of the hillside and do not know how long it will take to determine that the dock is safe to walk on.  I assume that at the least they will add some concrete blocks to the dock like they did for the slide a few years back.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

That's encouraging it went so well, we won't mind the tendering.  There have been several reviews of the Quantum lately  but its been very quiet regarding the Ovation- so I'm especially thankful for your post.