Matcha?

Kate-in-Canada

Have looked at the menus from cafe Al bacio others have posted.  I see green tea. But not matcha.

I drink a matcha latte everyday.  Anyone know if maybe matcha is available anywhere on board like maybe a secret menu item?

if not, do you think could take my own can of matcha powder and have it mixed with steamed milk and frothed?

I don’t drink coffee, and if I can’t get a good matcha latte, i Will need to wean Down my caffeine to regular tea before hand or will have a massive caffiene headache all week.

thanks!

Never seen it on any of Celebrity's ships.   Sorry.   You might be able to order a steamed milk and mix your own matcha into it.    In the past they would not mix ingredients from guests supply into a drink for safety and sanitation reasons.  

Edited by Jim_Iain

Just now, cruisestitch said:

While they don’t serve matcha trey will make you a steamed milk and you can add your powder but they won’t be able to froth it for you.

Good to know.  I think I will need to find an alternate plan.

thank you

3 minutes ago, Kate-in-Canada said:

Yeah, well I just finished cancer treatment that causes fatigue and the caffiene in matcha helps get me through the day. So, not a good idea “in any case”. Only if a necessity if I can’t get it on board for the 7 days 

2 minutes ago, Kate-in-Canada said:

Good to know.  I think I will need to find an alternate plan.

thank you

I have a small handheld battery operated beverage frothier which I have traveled with.  Order steamed milk, add your powder and froth it!  

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Kate-in-Canada said:

Yeah, well I just finished cancer treatment that causes fatigue and the caffiene in matcha helps get me through the day. So, not a good idea “in any case”. Only if a necessity if I can’t get it on board for the 7 days 

If you're drinking a fair bit of it, watch for a drop in iron levels ... which in itself can cause the fatigue you're trying to avoid.

1 hour ago, NewWestwardbound said:

My wife had the same question but about Chai Latte. Can't see it on the Cafe Al Bacio drinks menu. Any ideas?

They have Chai Latte - a very good one, too.

• Like 1

On 6/25/2022 at 12:02 PM, thebutlerdidit said:

I’m wondering if matcha may be available at the Spa Cafe. Perhaps it’s used as an ingredient in one of their smoothies?

I don't recall it. 

15 hours ago, mayleeman said:

If it just caffeine that is the important ingedient, buy some of those small "5 hour energy" bottles.

That's not a particularly good recommendation.  Those things have over 200 mg of caffeine per bottle.  That's a good deal more caffeine than your typical serving of matcha--maybe even twice as much.

9 hours ago, DCPIV said:

That's not a particularly good recommendation.  Those things have over 200 mg of caffeine per bottle.  That's a good deal more caffeine than your typical serving of matcha--maybe even twice as much.

Seems like one could easily choose how much to use. 

1 hour ago, mayleeman said:

Seems like one could easily choose how much to use. 

One can easily do the same with matcha, and it's a very easily transported powder that OP is both familiar with and enjoys. Your point is lost on me unless we're just going to carry on a digression. 

Thank you for answering my two questions.

seems there is no matcha, and likely would not add my matcha to steamed milk and froth it for me (in case I had malicious intent with the ingredients of my powder).

I will switch to regular tea for a few days before the trip and wean down temporarily.

and figure out where I can leave a suggestion the the cafe get matcha tea latte on their menu.  🙃

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Kate-in-Canada said:

and figure out where I can leave a suggestion the the cafe get matcha tea latte on their menu.

Let them know at the Café, let them know at Guest Services, let a bar or dining manager know if you get a chance, and most certainly put it in your survey.

Unfortunately, there aren't any good ways I know to let them know before you cruise. Maybe someone will chime in with some. 

15 hours ago, DCPIV said:

Your point is lost on me

Apparenty.  It was a simple suggestion on how to get the caffeine the OP said was needed to avoid headaches when she said matcha was the only beverage with enough. When it became apparent they couldn't serve what she needed to use with the powder, I tried to be helpful. If not a useful suggestion, we fortunately have people standing watch to criticize.

3 hours ago, mayleeman said:

Apparenty.  It was a simple suggestion on how to get the caffeine the OP said was needed to avoid headaches when she said matcha was the only beverage with enough. When it became apparent they couldn't serve what she needed to use with the powder, I tried to be helpful. If not a useful suggestion, we fortunately have people standing watch to criticize.

I agree, and I apologize.  It was a long day.

Just FYI, though, it actually would be a bit hard to take only a portion of a 5 Hour Energy.  There are only a couple ounces in that bottle.  I suppose one could manage with a tablespoon measure, but that might be more fuss than one might care in an alternative.

On 6/25/2022 at 10:02 AM, thebutlerdidit said:

I’m wondering if matcha may be available at the Spa Cafe. Perhaps it’s used as an ingredient in one of their smoothies?

Nope... I just checked on the Celebrity App.    They don't have much out of the norm - pressed juices and Smoothies with nothing more exotic than  Flax Seed or Ginger.