Best time to Arrive at Mardi Gras Port?

jolyroger

I know its going to be pretty crazy on embarkation day but any suggestions to those who have experience with this port whats the best time to arrive? We leave next weekend so its also summer crowds as well.

We sailed on Liberty June 3rd out of Mardi Gras terminal. Our arrival time was 12-12:30. The way the terminal is set up, there was a line to get in to unload and park. Didn’t take very long to unload. Parking garage was full up to deck 4 from those out on Mardi Gras. Once we got in to the actual terminal, it went very quickly and we were on board around 12:40 or so. First time from this terminal.

• Like 1

If you haven’t already, log into your account and choose a check in time.  

If you show up earlier than your chosen check in time then you will likely be standing out in the hot sun waiting for your group. You can get away with maybe 30 minutes earlier, but know that once you get inside the building, it will be wall-to-wall people and you won’t be allowed to board until your time slot is called anyway. 

If you’re required to check out of your hotel room early, I would just hang out in the hotel lobby for a bit.  

We went in January and it was only 60 percent capacity for MG and it was a zoo.  We are platinum and we’re able to get a 10:00 check in and had to weave our way through tons of people because we showed up on time and were forced to sit in the very back of the room.  This just delayed checking in for people after our time slot because people with early time slots had to say “excuse me” a thousand times to get to the door.  

If you’re platinum or diamond then I’m not sure if you’re able to get an early time slot.  

• Like 1

I just debarked the Carnival Liberty yesterday, and as we were leaving the parking garage at 9:13 in the morning, there were at least 20 people walking through the garage to board the ship.  That is crazy - all of the passengers were not even off the ship at that point.  So please, whatever you do, let the debarking cruisers get out of the parking garage before you show up!  It will make it a lot easier to find a parking space and you won't have to wait as long to check in and eventually board.  

We have found it pretty easy to board in the noon time slot, and with cabins being available at 1:30, this still leaves plenty of time to have that first lunch before checking out your room.  

• Thanks 1

Well...you should arrive at your listed arrival time.  How long it will take is a week by week thing.  I have arrived on time and been on the ship in 45 minutes and another took 2 1/2 hours, an hour of that was standing outside in a line outside of the terminal.

• Like 1

I guess I’ll never understand the mentality to be the first on board! Why deal with all that unnecessary aggravation and sitting in the terminal waiting to board for no telling how long! We always choose 12-12:30 and are usually on board within 20 to 30 minutes of arrival time. Not nearly the hassle and stress!

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Bostwick girl said:

I guess I’ll never understand the mentality to be the first on board! Why deal with all that unnecessary aggravation and sitting in the terminal waiting to board for no telling how long! We always choose 12-12:30 and are usually on board within 20 to 30 minutes of arrival time. Not nearly the hassle and stress!

They want a table at the Lido.  Or in the case of Mardi Gras, first in line for Big Shaq's Chicken

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

People continue to be confused as well over "Check in time" and "Boarding Zone"  You choose a check in time to arrive at the Port and when you print your Boarding Pass there will be a Boarding Zone on it which when called will allow you to board the ship.  There is no correlation between time when you arrive to check in and time when you get on the ship.  You could get a check iin time of 10:30 and not be allowed on the ship until 1:00.  It all depends on when everyone is finally off and they are ready to accept the incoming passengers.  Just be prepared with the COVID Protocols currently in place if you show up before your actual check in time you could be waiting outside for awhile before they let you in.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, jolyroger said:

I know its going to be pretty crazy on embarkation day but any suggestions to those who have experience with this port whats the best time to arrive? We leave next weekend so its also summer crowds as well.

Arrive whenever you like and wait outside until the assigned boarding time or arrive shortly before your scheduled boarding time and barring any issues, breeze on in .

• Like 2

On Mardi Gras 5/28 we had 10:30-11am check in time and Boarding group B01.

We arrived at terminal at 9:50.  Waited in traffic 10 minutes to pull in to garage. Dropped luggage and parked. Waited until 10:15 to walk in to terminal. We were allowed in and immediately checked-in using Verifly(which worked perfectly).

We then sat in the waiting area. At 10:30 they made an announcement that boarding would start in 30 mins. 

At 10:50 they started boarding suites. Then the A groups started. The man working our section of the waiting area told us that there could be as many as 9 of the A boarding groups, but sometimes are less. 

At 10:55 they started boarding the A01 group. They called B01 at 11:04. We dropped luggage in our room and were in the buffet at 11:23!

• Like 2

Thanks Y'all! We were able to check in earlier due to being platinum and got a 10-10:30 slot. We are familiar with all the different procedures due to Covid. Just wasn't  sure if there were any recommendations with that port since its new to us. Again Thanks for the help.

1 hour ago, jolyroger said:

Thanks Y'all! We were able to check in earlier due to being platinum and got a 10-10:30 slot. We are familiar with all the different procedures due to Covid. Just wasn't  sure if there were any recommendations with that port since its new to us. Again Thanks for the help.

Great!  Sounds like you’re set.  I’m amazed you were able to get an early slot.  Good for you.. 👍

• Like 1

3 hours ago, kdr69 said:

People continue to be confused as well over "Check in time" and "Boarding Zone"  You choose a check in time to arrive at the Port and when you print your Boarding Pass there will be a Boarding Zone on it which when called will allow you to board the ship.  There is no correlation between time when you arrive to check in and time when you get on the ship.  You could get a check iin time of 10:30 and not be allowed on the ship until 1:00.  It all depends on when everyone is finally off and they are ready to accept the incoming passengers.  Just be prepared with the COVID Protocols currently in place if you show up before your actual check in time you could be waiting outside for awhile before they let you in.

You beat me to it. Thanks for explaining the process. Hopefully the confusion is cleared up. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jetsfan58 said:

You beat me to it. Thanks for explaining the process. Hopefully the confusion is cleared up. 

Wasn't confused on the whole process since we've done it many times at other ports before. I was just curious as to this port in general if there were those who had experience there since its new .😉

On 6/28/2022 at 6:45 AM, jolyroger said:

Pick your time when you intend to be at the port and stick to it. if you do not arrive within that 1/2 hour window You will be in a very long line.

• Like 1

That's the whole idea about the check in time. So you don't have 100s of folks just arriving whenever and milling or waiting around, clogging up the paths or taking up space for the people who ARE supposed to be there and checking in. Nothing worse than someone standing in the way or taking up space, and then when asked, "oh I don't check in for another 2 hours" $E#%$#@%@#$%$#% why are you here? 

• Like 1

I'll share this from our January sailing on Mardi Gras,  As noted above after check in everyone waits in a big open hall area with seating although limited.  Nice restrooms inside and cold water fountains in the back.  When they call the suites who are seated in a separate area but visible it becomes cow heard mentality for the rest.     Everyone stands and moves toward the boarding area regardless of what boarding group they are announcing.  Very hard to hear them by the way, they could do better to have the current boarding group shown on the TV screens.     We were A-4 then and A-1 this Saturday.  The ship was not full then but expect it will be this time.  

Smooth sailing