are masks still required on Royal one way Alaska cruises?

sunsetme

7 hours ago, Yehootu said:

My wife and I wore our masks and still do. My wife tested positive as soon as we got home. No shows for us and only about half the nights we ate in a specialty or main dining room.  People were very courteous and would either skip elevator or mask up. As they say YMMV.

Should of stayed at home, what type of mask did you wear

We are on the Royal Princess now (6/25 to 7/2).

Mask are required but not enforced. With each passing day fewer and fewer are wearing them.

We leave tomorrow for the land  portion, it will be interesting to see how prevalent masks are at the lodges.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, MissP22 said:

As Earthworm Jim pointed out, it's probably because local authorities insisted on it & forced Princess to agree or not dock at their ports.

Then logically it would apply to Alaska cruises from  Seattle and San Francisco.

• Thanks 1

On 6/30/2022 at 10:41 AM, memoak said:

Also the south bound itinerary usually as a bunch embarking who have been on land trips prior and have been in crowded environments 

There have been several posts by people on the pre-cruise Alaska cruise who have tested positive before the end of the land tour and had to be cancelled for the cruise part.

It is likely that other people on the land tour were infected, but did not develop enough virus to be detected by the time of the test. But...3 days later when they board a ship......

18 hours ago, antsp said:

Should of stayed at home, what type of mask did you wear

They might as well have. No shows, stayed in the cabin most of the time, ate mostly in specialty restaurants, hardly used the elevator.

Why bother to pay for a cruise.

Just drive to the beach & look at the ocean. It's cheaper.  😄

• Haha 2

Just now, MissP22 said:

They might as well have. No shows, stayed in the cabin most of the time, ate mostly in specialty restaurants, hardly used the elevator.

Why bother to pay for a cruise.

Just drive to the beach & look at the ocean. It's cheaper and you don't have to wear a mouth mask.  😄

20 hours ago, caribill said:

Then logically it would apply to Alaska cruises from  Seattle and San Francisco.

If the local ports in question were Whittier and/or Vancouver, I don't think cruises from Seattle and SF typically stop in those ports. 

But I admit I'm befuddled at it applying in both directions. If, say, Whittier was the one demanding masks, why would that require masking on southbound cruises even after they left Whittier? Perhaps to keep crew infection numbers low in hopes of that reducing passenger infections on future cruises? 

3 hours ago, Earthworm Jim said:

If the local ports in question were Whittier and/or Vancouver, I don't think cruises from Seattle and SF typically stop in those ports. 

But I admit I'm befuddled at it applying in both directions. If, say, Whittier was the one demanding masks, why would that require masking on southbound cruises even after they left Whittier? Perhaps to keep crew infection numbers low in hopes of that reducing passenger infections on future cruises? 

Once again. Lots of people are testing positive after the land tours before boarding in Whittier. Who knows how many of those boarding would be positive on day 3 of south bound cruises 

2 hours ago, sunsetme said:

so what is happening on these cruisetours that so many people are testing positive??

You are packing people on buses for long periods of time and I doubt they are all wearing masks. Also they are interacting with locals who are not all wearing masks 

On 6/30/2022 at 4:39 PM, MissP22 said:

As Earthworm Jim pointed out, it's probably because local authorities insisted on it & forced Princess to agree or not dock at their ports.

The same thing could happen in the Caribbean I suppose.

That's not so because Royal Caribbean go to the same ports and masking is not required

On 7/2/2022 at 2:59 PM, memoak said:

You are packing people on buses for long periods of time and I doubt they are all wearing masks. Also they are interacting with locals who are not all wearing masks 

Yes---the vast majority of people did not wear masks on the 3-4+ hour coach and train rides. Coughed freely and no masks on excursions.

One of our coach drivers was unmasked, coughing and complained of a sore throat multiple times.

We wore masks on all transportation, including our flights and on excursions.

By the time we docked in Vancouver---about 20% of people were hacking. Still with no masks.

There is zero enforcement of masks or distancing.

If Whittier is the local town that is requesting masks, then in theory Holland America one way cruises would be under the same umbrella as both Princess and HAL uses Whittier for the one way Alaska cruise.

Other cruise lines use Seaward for their one way Alaska sailings.

Does anyone know of other cruise lines sailing the one way Alaska voyage have masks requirement other than Princess?

Maybe the request is from the Whales Union based out of Glacier Bay...

On 7/4/2022 at 5:13 PM, broker1217 said:

We wore masks on all transportation, including our flights and on excursions.

By the time we docked in Vancouver---about 20% of people were hacking. Still with no masks.

There is zero enforcement of masks or distancing.

As I understood it from CDC from the very beginning of this mess, masks (especially medical procedure masks) will help prevent you from spreading the virus if your are infected.  It will not protect you from being infected.  An N95 mask is the best to minimize exposure, but most people without medical or first-responder training probably do not know how to fit an N95 to minimize contamination.  An N95 does inhibit free breathing, more than a procedural mask, so you have to take that into account as you go about your activities.

1 hour ago, Steelers36 said:

Not sure why there is some presumption that Alaska is the place requesting masking over Canada?

I think it has something to do with the infection rate from cruise tours, not the locale.  Probably from people crammed into buses and trains without prophylactic measures.

4 minutes ago, SiliconCruiser said:

I think it has something to do with the infection rate from cruise tours, not the locale.  Probably from people crammed into buses and trains without prophylactic measures.

Gotcha, but don't folks do land tours and also cruise back to a west coast US port? 

Edited by Steelers36

1 minute ago, SiliconCruiser said:

I think all the cruise tours originate out of Canada Place.

Yes, could be, but I suppose some number could head to Alaska on their own, do some land touring, and then cruise back south to Seattle or San Francisco.

15 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

Yes, could be, but I suppose some number could head to Alaska on their own, do some land touring, and then cruise back south to Seattle or San Francisco.

There are no cruises out of Whittier to Seattle, and all cruises out of San Francisco and LA are round trips.
Sorry, there are some trips that start in Seattle and disembark at Canada Place, and there are some that start in Van and disembark in Seattle.

Edited by SiliconCruiser