Live from the Regal - July 2-23 - Med Cruise - R/T Barcelona

Ken the cruiser

40 minutes ago, mauiluver said:

Thank you for this great post. Please let us know what you do in Genoa.  We are thinking when we go on this cruise in August to take the train to Santa Margherita and then the ferry to Portofino. Any information you can give me about these 2 villages would be helpful.  

We’re going on a walking tour around Genoa  called San Lorenzo, Chiesa Del Gesu and Palace. More to come later on. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

If you launch your Personalizer and go to your upcoming cruise. You will see an area with where you can download your app, depending on the type of device you have. Below the 2 “pictures”, you’ll see a link to also launch the web interface on your computer. Click on it.

Thanks - found it!

But still can't upload the documents. Anyway .. We've done all that's "required", and the upload of documents is just "suggested", so I guess it'll be ok. We are Green Lane.

And also. With just 9 days to go, we are still GTY and haven't been assigned a stateroom yet 😬

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ken the cruiser said:

We’re going on a walking tour around Genoa  called San Lorenzo, Chiesa Del Gesu and Palace. More to come later on. 

The first part of the excursion turned out to be a brief Genoa highlights bus tour. 

FE2FF435-1F03-42B2-AEBB-9E6C101A6821.thumb.jpeg.9b3a84ab45834aa1ad505d8ab7a209bd.jpeg

CA8051D5-312F-450F-946F-3C617ED5F6BE.thumb.jpeg.d06a6dc93896db987caffdfd97f16839.jpeg

183BA6C1-7151-42E8-A68D-DEA996C12287.thumb.jpeg.36280364d4071f474e34845a6b9e6ded.jpeg

222A994E-3040-4692-9595-271717BF086F.thumb.jpeg.ef81642d0917503bdfd4e3fbb546279b.jpeg

FBBCFD8E-C040-4404-9143-DB19A8382BF9.thumb.jpeg.f2d3cfac075c3c07067cc0d48a6d3fb5.jpeg

Followed by a 3 hour walking tour, with 1 hour for shopping, before walking another 20 minutes back to the bus which was followed by short ride back to the pier.

4E6BA460-E07E-4FA2-BB59-79C29B48B108.thumb.jpeg.93cbaa0810b5ef5de8585345277745cb.jpeg

AC3AD104-CA13-4B27-A66B-E49A3E72DAEF.thumb.jpeg.0fcde0430f2de183022af25363f1a757.jpeg

3C847A91-60F7-4B4C-BE94-71F0E55649AE.thumb.jpeg.1f47052995dc908c28cdd2d0828d41d3.jpeg

964AB7FC-4F0C-4BEA-ADB9-39524FB9B027.thumb.jpeg.1c1e2e037af961f8c0d5c41478919ace.jpeg

CBF0AC5A-91E0-4392-B931-0DC54DD92FB2.thumb.jpeg.c6a7d90a78bbb90226cd5916e5463926.jpeg

Different church. 

A2248278-E415-4F94-A806-3BD02D7D3DB6.thumb.jpeg.48a202f8f65a4c88bd2d37343af80421.jpeg

Since we’re not shoppers and it was only a 30 minute walk back to the pier from the piazza meeting point, we chose the latter. But when got back to our cabin, the MSC Orchestra had decided to pull along side of us giving our balcony view a whole new perspective. 😁

image.thumb.jpg.6158f803121b6c2bb528ad99b59c47d6.jpg

Edited by Ken the cruiser
  • Like 7

15 hours ago, voljeep said:

any chance you have run into Junella on the ship? - we first met hers a few years ago in Crooners where she tossed an amazing martini.  we saw her again on SKY, then looked forward to seeing her on Regal in January, but she was in quarantine until the day we disembarked...

Talked with the bartender up at the Outrigger and he said her contract has expired, but she will be cruising next on the Coral Princess.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, mauiluver said:

Will be taking this tour in September and was wondering about the restaurant that Princess uses.  How was the food and service?  Variety of choices?  Hoping that we will have about 2 hours to just walk around town and "shop".  Were there options for those who had difficulty in managing all the stairs?  

The food has been very good in the MDR, with plenty of menu options, and up at the buffet. I will also add the service in both areas has been fantastic! As far as avoiding the stairs on the ship, there are plenty of elevators to choose from, forward, center and aft.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, mauiluver said:

Thank you for this great post. Please let us know what you do in Genoa.  We are thinking when we go on this cruise in August to take the train to Santa Margherita and then the ferry to Portofino. Any information you can give me about these 2 villages would be helpful.  

Unfortunately, my best suggestion is to check out the details provided on the available Princess excursions offered on your upcoming cruise via your Personalizer and internet searches regarding the two towns. Sorry.

Hi Ken

I'm impressed with the amount of sightseeing you have done so far. You'll need a holiday after three weeks of cruising the Med'.

We tested negative this morning so my visit to the Outrigger bar this Saturday at 5 pm is becoming more likely🤞🙏😎

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Esprit said:

Hi Ken

I'm impressed with the amount of sightseeing you have done so far. You'll need a holiday after three weeks of cruising the Med'.

We tested negative this morning so my visit to the Outrigger bar this Saturday at 5 pm is becoming more likely🤞🙏😎

Yay!!!

8 hours ago, mauiluver said:

OK, after having a beer on the balcony, I had a vision to go to the app and pull up Genoa shore excursions. Here’s an excursion they are offering that goes to both locations you mentioned. Of course, it doesn’t include information about “on your own” train and ferry rides, but it’s an option if you later decide to avoid those adventurous moments. 

3FABB827-ABBA-41A8-BEE6-6B7F53AEA125.thumb.png.f4bf4c2b8dd485e22e75e85d005cd285.png

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ken the cruiser said:

Talked with the bartender up at the Outrigger and he said her contract has expired, but she will be cruising next on the Coral Princess.

Australia ... nice for her I hope

• Like 3

I forgot to mention, in Italy the mask mandate on public transport has been extended to Sep 30. This includes tour buses and vans and explains why everyone was required to wear a mask today while on our tour bus. 

https://www.wantedinrome.com/news/covid-italy-extends-mask-mandate-for-public-transport.html

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

3 hours ago, Ken the cruiser said:

OK, after having a beer on the balcony, I had a vision to go to the app and pull up Genoa shore excursions. Here’s an excursion they are offering that goes to both locations you mentioned. Of course, it doesn’t include information about “on your own” train and ferry rides, but it’s an option if you later decide to avoid those adventurous moments. 

3FABB827-ABBA-41A8-BEE6-6B7F53AEA125.thumb.png.f4bf4c2b8dd485e22e75e85d005cd285.png

Thanks you Ken for posting this.

• Like 1

Can you find out the time for the last colour tag for disembarkment.  We are not in a rush to leave as we plan on having a car service pick us up and drop us off at our hotel.  We will need to tell them a time for pick up.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, phabric said:

Can you find out the time for the last colour tag for disembarkment.  We are not in a rush to leave as we plan on having a car service pick us up and drop us off at our hotel.  We will need to tell them a time for pick up.

In Athens,  the last disembarkation time on our Regal cruise,  was 9:15.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, phabric said:

Luckily, I had to go to Guest Services for another reason. But while there, I asked for the list of the estimated times. Hope this helps..

8D195C41-D9F5-4002-A166-26F8E2AA6BF6.thumb.jpeg.0bdc7abbb96b7de4d6f9c2749eb95da1.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 7/1/2022 at 10:56 AM, Ken the cruiser said:

While waiting for the time we can drive to the airport, I found this interesting CC article as of June 22, 2022 regarding satellite internet service onboard a cruise ship. Here's what it said about Carnival ships.

However, there are exceptions. Prices are being driven down as some cruise lines (the Carnival family of brands, for instance) begin to use hybrid systems that combine satellite connections with cheaper land-based links. For instance, Carnival offers passengers a cheap social media package Wi-Fi option in addition to their full-power internet packages. If you need video calls or streaming services, you'll need to pay more.

Does Princess offer different internet service packages? I don't remember seeing any options to upgrade the Princess Plus "bundled" internet service on our upcoming Regal cruise.

Do Cruise Ships Have Wi-Fi? And 6 Other Things You Need to Know About Internet at Sea (cruisecritic.com)

That’s a CCL thing, social media package and it’s popular with the teens.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ken the cruiser said:

Luckily, I had to go to Guest Services for another reason. But while there, I asked for the list of the estimated times. Hope this helps..

8D195C41-D9F5-4002-A166-26F8E2AA6BF6.thumb.jpeg.0bdc7abbb96b7de4d6f9c2749eb95da1.jpeg

Thank you for taking the time to ask

• Like 1

When you have the next formal night,  I would be interested to hear your observations as to how the gentlemen dress up

Obviously, it would not be a scientific survey (!) but I'd be interested if my guess that 25% of men wore a tuxedo when I was on Regal in June matches your opinion.

• Like 2

Since you walked back to the port from Genoa, I am assuming that it is possible to walk into the city to sightsee on our own.  Is that correct?

Is there a shuttle service at all?

Thanks for not only your reply to these questions, Ken, but most definitely for this wonderful Live Report.  We are on the same itinerary - Barcelona to Rome in September so of much interest to us.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, In Toronto said:

Since you walked back to the port from Genoa, I am assuming that it is possible to walk into the city to sightsee on our own.  Is that correct?

Is there a shuttle service at all?

Thanks for not only your reply to these questions, Ken, but most definitely for this wonderful Live Report.  We are on the same itinerary - Barcelona to Rome in September so of much interest to us.

Yes, you can definitely walk to the town as it’s right there as you may be able to tell from my balcony pictures. I also believe they mentioned a shuttle bus before we left for our excursion as well. However, I don’t believe they mentioned the cost, which I’m pretty sure there was one. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, wowzz said:

When you have the next formal night,  I would be interested to hear your observations as to how the gentlemen dress up

Obviously, it would not be a scientific survey (!) but I'd be interested if my guess that 25% of men wore a tuxedo when I was on Regal in June matches your opinion.

We will give it our best shot. I usually don’t keep track of who’s wearing what, but my DW said she’d would. Just remember we eat early. But we’ll make the scan as we leave CC dining as it’s totally different once we leave the dining room. 

• Like 1