Transportation on St Kitts Scenic Railway Tour Excursion

Hi

We will be traveling with our toddler and trying to find out what the transportation to and from is for this excursion. Would it be the larger travel buses or the smaller 12 +\- passenger vans? 
want to make sure we are equipped with the right travel equipment for toddler seat but not sure if there would be space in a passenger van or needed on the larger buses. 

I have asked in the port forum as well

thanks 

Edited by Floating Lanai

• Floating Lanai changed the title to Transportation on St Kitts Scenic Railway Tour Excursion
9 minutes ago, Kevin said:

We recently took this excursion and smaller van buses were used that seated 15-20 people.

Looking through my pics the van buses looked like this:

IMG_3490.thumb.PNG.81c5232c0fda245876701cbbddf4454a.PNG

Yes, those are the same size van buses we had for this excursion.   

This is a long excursion and a hot one!  The train is old and loud but the scenery is beautiful.  That being said, a toddler, or small child, will be extremely bored.  There is nothing for them to do because they must remain in their seats.  Our excursion had a 4 person church group on it, that sang about 2 -3 songs, 3 times during the trip. Although my DH and I enjoyed the excursion, we would never do it again and were relieved when it was over and glad to get back to our air-conditioned cabin! 

This is just simply an informational post, and not telling you what to do or not do - - - -. enjoy your cruise!

Edited by Clancy14
  • Like 1

We did this last month as well.   Agree with Clancy14, it was hot, dusty and diesel smell from the very old train was pretty rough.  Open air up top, very limited inside seating down below...which I think had A/C and was out of the dust, and train exhaust smell.  Problem with down there is no view.  Need to be up top to see anything.  

Another problem was one tiny RV style bathroom, that riders were clueless on how to flush the RV style toilet.  

This is not a tour I would take a toddler on.  

• Like 1

We loved this excursion but be aware the train rocks a lot and a toddler can't be walking around without falling and there are many ways to get hurt as it's not traditional train seats.  It's benches that face sideways.  I almost fell a few times just standing to take pictures.  It's really meant to sit through.   I think a toddler would be quickly bored.  I think the youngest we saw on our tour was probably 7 or 8 yrs old.  

I can't remember if there were seatbelts either and we just did this in April 2019.  On transportation that has them, I wear them if I can.  Even the ones that have them aren't all usable.  They also tend to be kind of short so not sure how well they'd work for a booster, if they're even long enough.  

I suggest watching youtube videos.  Just search St. Kitts train and there are multiple videos.

Edited by BND
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I was waiting to book this before it was recently added to the cruise planner for our November Granduer cruise. Will pass booking now.  Chance of being stuck on the lower level being the primary one and the swaying from side to side.

• Like 1