A bit nervous about doing the testing correctly

Hey all, I am finding myself getting anxious about how to do our Covid testing so I don't screw up our travel. We are from Chicago but are departing from Seattle on July 22nd. If I understand correctly, we need to have a test within 48 hours of departure and printed or emailed results available at check-in. 

I have heard a lot about doing virtual testing rather than in-person due to the time it may take to get results.

What type of test should I be buying/looking for? 

Sorry, I am not normally an anxious person but, for some reason, making sure I don't screw this up for the family has me stressed.

Questions

Q

Where should I go to get a pre-cruise COVID-19 test? What types of tests are accepted? Where do I submit the results?

A

Accepted Tests for Guests Sailing from North America (U.S., Puerto Rico, Canada)

Below are details about which tests are accepted to board the ship. The type of test you need for your cruise, as well as the testing window, can vary depending on your vaccination status. If you are unclear on test requirements your for your cruise, visit our main COVID-19 testing FAQ to learn more.

Accepted Types of Tests and Results

• There are two common types of diagnostic COVID-19 tests 
    • A molecular test, also called a PCR test or NAAT test – our testing requirements call this a “PCR test”
    • An antigen test, also called a rapid antigen test – our testing requirements call this an “antigen test"
  • The test must be supervised by a health professional, such as a doctor, pharmacy technician, public health worker, or telehealth professional. Telehealth testing at home is only accepted for vaccinated guests, and only when it is conducted under live video supervision. Learn more about acceptable telehealth tests including our home test kit.
  • You must receive a valid results document from your test provider that includes the name of the lab that processed the test, the lab’s CLIA Lab Number or Certification Number, the address of the lab, your name, the date the test was taken, type of test, and your negative result. This can be a printed document, email, or telehealth app notification. Fully handwritten doctor’s notes (such as those written on a prescription pad) will not be accepted. Minimal handwritten components (such as a check mark on a “negative” box) are acceptable as long as the other required information is printed on the document. 

Tests We Do Not Accept

• Antibody tests are not accepted, as they do not detect a current infection.
  • Home test kits that are self-administered at home, and not supervised live by a telehealth professional, are also not accepted.
  • Supervised telehealth tests are not accepted for unvaccinated guests – only for vaccinated guests.

More on Abbott Brand Tests

We get a lot of questions about Abbott tests, the most commonly available COVID-19 test brand. Here’s what’s accepted.

• Any Abbott brand test administered on site by a pharmacy technician or other health professional is accepted. This includes the common Abbot ID NOW test administered by many pharmacies. The test provider must provide you with a proper results document (no handwritten notes).
  • The Abbott BinaxNow COVID-19 Ag Card Test, which is taken at home and supervised by a telemedicine professional, is accepted. It must be taken under live video supervision. Learn more about our Abbott telehealth home test kit.
  • The Abbott BinaxNow COVID-19 Antigen Self-Test, if taken at home and not supervised by a telehealth representative, is NOT accepted.

Where to Get Your Test

COVID-19 testing is very common nowadays. Most local pharmacy chains offer it, and most county or state websites can help you find a local public testing site. You can also go to a doctor’s office, diagnostic lab, or telehealth provider to get your test. For example, Quest Diagnostics offers appointments at over 1,500 locations in the U.S. with testing at no cost if you are eligible.

For sailings that require a pre-cruise test, you will be asked to take the test no more than 2 to 3 days before your sail date, depending on your age and vaccination status. Learn more about how to calculate which days you can take your test.

Make sure that your selected test provider can provide you a valid results document in time for your travel.

Providing Your Results On Boarding Day

You will present your negative test result at the terminal upon boarding. Print out your result if possible for easy access, as you may need to present it at various points. We will also accept a valid results document presented on your phone. 

If you get a positive test result on your pre-cruise test, please call us at 1-800-256-6649 so we can rework your cruise plans.

• Like 1

Thank you 100000 times over. I had seen that somewhere a couple weeks ago and have a complete mental block on where. I have screenshotted this and, honestly, you have helped alleviate some of my stress. Thank you!

Just now, CBVest said:

Thank you 100000 times over. I had seen that somewhere a couple weeks ago and have a complete mental block on where. I have screenshotted this and, honestly, you have helped alleviate some of my stress. Thank you!

You are so welcome!  Enjoy your cruise and try to not stress.  We always do the Binax emed tests, they have been the easiest for us.

• Like 3

We just ordered the Abbott ones through the RCI link and ordered 2 per person. And it sounds like we just scan the QR code when we are ready in a couple weeks. Thanks a ton all!

Best place to look for any type of questions on protocols is the cruise line website first. It will usually have the most updated info.

Also check YouTube for videos on how to use the Emed tests. Lots of them there.

• Like 2

YOU don't scan the QR code, the eMed proctor does.  So, you're showing the code in the back of the camera, and the test kit in front, and then the results on the "stick" after.  So, practice with your phone or computer to make sure you can do this.

I always use my iPhone, and set it up so I can go behind it and in front of it.  Elevation is the key.

• Like 2

We've used the emed tests 3x including from our hotel in Amsterdam.  So easy.  Watch the videos on utube.  They will make you feel prepared.  We still have 2 left but about to order 2 more for our August cruise, extras important to have in case of any problems.  Btw its 2 days, not 48 hours, in advance,  which makes planning a little more flexible.   Enjoy your trip.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

I just want to thank everyone that helped here and talked me through this. We did the tests this morning in Seattle for a Friday embarkation and it was a breeze in large part to the help/advice here. Thanks all!

• Like 3

On 6/30/2022 at 11:33 AM, BND said:

It's not 48 hours, it's two days prior.  

So, for a Saturday sailing can you get tested on Thursday?  Was recently on a Princess Cruise and the day of sailing did not count.  Also, they did not even ask to see our test results or even as about them.

4 minutes ago, Jessejo said:

So, for a Saturday sailing can you get tested on Thursday?  Was recently on a Princess Cruise and the day of sailing did not count.  Also, they did not even ask to see our test results or even as about them.

Yes.  We tested today for our Friday sailing.  We've done two b2b's since restart and tested two full days before for both.

• Like 1

On 6/30/2022 at 1:04 PM, CBVest said:

If I understand correctly, we need to have a test within 48 hours of departure

Actually its 2 days before departure.  So, for a Sunday departure you could test at any time on Friday or Saturday.

32 minutes ago, birdofsong said:

It's helped me to have the Navica app. I'm not sure if you can do it without it, because emed prompted a Navica login. 

You can do it without Navica.  Navica is just an option and it even asks if you want to log in to Navica to receive results, but it's not required.  Emed emails the results.  Navica has them on the app if you use it, but you don't need it.  As  I said above, we just tested yesterday.

Edited by BND
  • Thanks 1