How good (or bad) is the wine in the package we get with the "Always Included" fares?

islandwoman

18 minutes ago, islandwoman said:

What rooms come with the Premium package?

We usually book RS or PH. However, I think most suites come with a premium package…perhaps someone on your side of the pond can confirm as UK T&Cs can be different. I think if you use the move up program, however, to upgrade to I suite I think you keep the package you initially had…again hopefully someone who has done this can confirm.

9 minutes ago, chemmo said:

We usually book RS or PH. However, I think most suites come with a premium package…perhaps someone on your side of the pond can confirm as UK T&Cs can be different. I think if you use the move up program, however, to upgrade to I suite I think you keep the package you initially had…again hopefully someone who has done this can confirm.

We're in a FV, so I assume that means our package is a "Classic".  

We haven't sailed with a drinks package previously (We couldn't drink enough to justify the cost if purchased separately). So the premium package might be a consideration for booking a suite next time.

Edited by islandwoman

9 minutes ago, islandwoman said:

We're in a FV, so I assume that means our package is a "Classic".  

We haven't sailed with a drinks package previously (We couldn't drink enough to justify the cost if purchased separately). So the premium package might be a consideration for booking a suite next time.

If you will enjoy the other perks that come with a suite then definitely worth booking. However, if you are happy with your room choice and would simply prefer the premium drink selection why not just upgrade your drinks package? You can either upgrade pre cruise or wait until you are on board, try the classic package and if it doesn’t offer what you want then upgrade.

Whatever you choose to do, have a great cruise!

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, chemmo said:

If you will enjoy the other perks that come with a suite then definitely worth booking. However, if you are happy with your room choice and would simply prefer the premium drink selection why not just upgrade your drinks package? You can either upgrade pre cruise or wait until you are on board, try the classic package and if it doesn’t offer what you want then upgrade.

We nearly booked a suite this time, but we prefer the location and the balcony of the FV.  We'll be in 7204. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, islandwoman said:

We nearly booked a suite this time, but we prefer the location and the balcony of the FV.  We'll be in 7204. 

Lovely location and great balcony. We are big fans of wake views! Enjoy…

• Like 1

On 7/1/2022 at 5:33 PM, jelayne said:

Supply chain issues so no Decoy or our recent sailing.

And therein is part of the problems with the wine package these days.  Have been on multiple cruises since last fall and have had real issues getting our standard wine requests in both Luminae and Blu.  Decoy is a good example.  Some ships had it.  Some ships did not.  Other ships we had to "battle" with our wine steward for a bit and they finally tracked some down.  On our most recent cruises we were fortunate in that the sommelier was able to offer us some wines normally sold only by the bottle.  But at the same time, we sometimes had to drink wines on the classic package, even though we were paying for the premium package.  Their options for red wine at least were very meager on all of our cruises since the pandemic, save for when they were willing to open those usually sold by the bottle.  I personally don't feel like shlepping four bottles of wine onboard and we like a pre-dinner cocktail, so we will likely stick with the premium package.  But IMHO if premium by-the-glass wines are not available they should always be offering an appropriate substitute, even if normally sold by bottle only

• Like 3

On 7/1/2022 at 9:38 PM, jelayne said:

Bo, If you have a beverage package there is no corkage fee any longer and you can now bring on 4 bottles.  A win win as I see it.  You can bring on a favorite wine and no corkage ( win) and  Celebrity gets fewer complaints about shortages and 1less bottle they supply.

Wow, that’s pretty awesome. 

On 7/1/2022 at 5:19 PM, RichYak said:

The CBP covers wine up to $9 per glass. Maybe you'll find something at that price that satisfies you, maybe you won't. On the plus side, there is nothing stopping you from ordering something above $9 and paying only the difference.

Or you can pay the $10 or so per day to upgrade to premium. I did this just for me on our last cruise (hubby doesn't drink alcohol), and although I didn't really get the value out of it, I would do it again for the convenience. 

1 hour ago, kimlovesfl said:

Or you can pay the $10 or so per day to upgrade to premium. I did this just for me on our last cruise (hubby doesn't drink alcohol), and although I didn't really get the value out of it, I would do it again for the convenience. 

"Classic to Premium Beverage Package Upgrade  Prices Starting From*

$17.10 USD Adult per day"

That seems like a lot to me 😬

1 hour ago, islandwoman said:

I just found out that if you are a Captains Club Elite member, you get 15% off this upgrade cost. However, there will be an additional 20% added for gratuity, so it brings it back to about $17.4 per day. I was also told that one person can do the upgrade while the other person in the cabin doesn't (i.e. it does not require both persons to buy the upgrade).

After reviewing the list of drinks provided under the Classic package and the Premium package, I think it will be worthwhile for us to do the upgrade. Some of the cocktails we like cost more than $9, and we certainly will try some of the better wines, whiskey, beers, etc.

The wines available on the classic (basic) drink package are not bad wines. Rather they are high quality inexpensive wines from large, high volume producers. Celebrity is well recognized for the excellence of their onboard wine programs. That said, I’d be curious what you are wanting to bring onboard. If you are looking to enjoy more import wines…burgundy…Bordeaux…better quality Italian bottles, etc., plus more unique (lower volume production) wines poured by the glass in the main dining room or more so in the speciality restaurants, then the premium package is a must. 

if you ONLY drink wines, won’t avail yourself of the martini bar, and want to order more unique bottles than you’ll find on EITHER drink package, then I’d say skip the drink packages altogether and order wines by the bottle.

You absolutely may order wines at the bar and bring to enjoy with your room service. And you can order bottles in the restaurants and then take any unfinished wine back to your room. The main purposes for bringing 2 bottles onboard are:

1 you have a very special bottle you wish to enjoy during your cruise. 2. You are not buying any drink package and you want to offset paying for wine on the ship by bringing your own. 3. You want to enjoy wine in your cabin and don’t want to have to visit the bar to get it and don’t to pay for it through room service.

• Thanks 1

While there are some that I wouldn't try again, I have been occasionally surprised.

For whatever reason, Celebrity puts the Palacios Remondo la Montesa in their 'upper tier' "Taste of the Vineyard" bottle package.  It sells for only $16~$18 retail, and in a 3 bottle package, Celebrity gets $53 a bottle ($160 for 3 bottles) for their wines in this category.

That said ...

This is one of the nicest $16~$18 wines I've run across.

So while they maybe overcharging by the bottle, they do come up some real surprises now and again.  If I could get an X sommelier to pour that by the glass as part of the PDP, I'd be happy to drink it.

1 hour ago, letsgogogo said:

The wines available on the classic (basic) drink package are not bad wines. Rather they are high quality inexpensive wines from large, high volume producers. Celebrity is well recognized for the excellence of their onboard wine programs. That said, I’d be curious what you are wanting to bring onboard. If you are looking to enjoy more import wines…burgundy…Bordeaux…better quality Italian bottles, etc., plus more unique (lower volume production) wines poured by the glass in the main dining room or more so in the speciality restaurants, then the premium package is a must. 

if you ONLY drink wines, won’t avail yourself of the martini bar, and want to order more unique bottles than you’ll find on EITHER drink package, then I’d say skip the drink packages altogether and order wines by the bottle.

You absolutely may order wines at the bar and bring to enjoy with your room service. And you can order bottles in the restaurants and then take any unfinished wine back to your room. The main purposes for bringing 2 bottles onboard are:

1 you have a very special bottle you wish to enjoy during your cruise. 2. You are not buying any drink package and you want to offset paying for wine on the ship by bringing your own. 3. You want to enjoy wine in your cabin and don’t want to have to visit the bar to get it and don’t to pay for it through room service.

And to clarify… when I call out Bordeaux and Burgundy above, I’m not referring to classified growths or village wines. Some examples of what you might see on premium package options would be things like Louis Jadot Bourgogne blanc/rouge or perhaps Macon. Cru Beaujolais, Spanish Crianzas or Reservas or Italian sangiovese that would retail for $12 - $18, Seghesio (entry level) Zinfandel, etc. It's not going to be coveted California cabs,  no Village level (let alone above) burgundy, no Priorat. If you have your heart set on enjoying some really unique wines, you sure can. Celebrity is prepared for you. But those will be by the bottle, at what I found to be lower prices than you’d pay at typical restaurant. Be realistic about what you’ll get for your “premium” bev package. And if you have a bev package they give you a discount on wines by the bottle.

3 minutes ago, letsgogogo said:

Be realistic about what you’ll get for your “premium” bev package. And if you have a bev package they give you a discount on wines by the bottle.

I have a Classic Beverage Package.  That's what came with my FV cabin.

On 7/1/2022 at 5:11 PM, islandwoman said:

I didn't mean to ask for a recommendation to match my taste.  I only meant to ask for your opinion as to whether the wines offered in the "Always Included" package are good enough to forego bringing your own bottles onboard. (according to your taste)

I will get to the point...no they are not (by the glass). Used to be but not anymore. Poor selection and out of most I love my wine but bring my own and drink mixed drinks on the ship the wine selection is so poor.

Edited by southernbreezes
  • Thanks 1

On 7/4/2022 at 2:30 PM, islandwoman said:

Looks like the price has increased quite a bit since January. That would make it a no-go for me. 

On 7/1/2022 at 5:19 PM, RichYak said:

The CBP covers wine up to $9 per glass. Maybe you'll find something at that price that satisfies you, maybe you won't. On the plus side, there is nothing stopping you from ordering something above $9 and paying only the difference.

I think this is a great point.  Because you can pay the difference, decision on upgrading to premium is a question of how many upgrades you would be getting and this covers all types of drinks, not just wine.

As for bringing some bottles aboard, if it can be done easily, I say go for it.  Either for drinking in your cabin with room service or even bringing to the MDR to have with dinner for a special night.  I understand that they waive the corkage fee for people with drink packages.

• Thanks 1

wonder if anyone would be kind enough to post the list of "by the glass" wines that are currently being poured on the celebrity ships in conjunction with the classic beverage package that is included in most of the pricing structures now......The last time we sailed with celebrity six months ago we were pleased with their chardonnay selection in this catergory.  I always bring a few bottles of la crema   with us , but if the wine that they are serving has  got the word california on it i stand a little chance of it being o.k. thanks for any help, it is greatly appreciated.

On 7/3/2022 at 2:34 PM, phoenix_dream said:

And therein is part of the problems with the wine package these days.  Have been on multiple cruises since last fall and have had real issues getting our standard wine requests in both Luminae and Blu.  Decoy is a good example.  Some ships had it.  Some ships did not.  Other ships we had to "battle" with our wine steward for a bit and they finally tracked some down.  On our most recent cruises we were fortunate in that the sommelier was able to offer us some wines normally sold only by the bottle.  But at the same time, we sometimes had to drink wines on the classic package, even though we were paying for the premium package.  Their options for red wine at least were very meager on all of our cruises since the pandemic, save for when they were willing to open those usually sold by the bottle.  I personally don't feel like shlepping four bottles of wine onboard and we like a pre-dinner cocktail, so we will likely stick with the premium package.  But IMHO if premium by-the-glass wines are not available they should always be offering an appropriate substitute, even if normally sold by bottle only

Agreed, but it seems they don’t feel compelled to open a bottle.  I will be on Beyond in august and NCL Prima in December.  I think NCL premium plus will give you bottles with dinner, so am looking forward to comparing the experience. 

11 minutes ago, renji said:

Agreed, but it seems they don’t feel compelled to open a bottle.  I will be on Beyond in august and NCL Prima in December.  I think NCL premium plus will give you bottles with dinner, so am looking forward to comparing the experience. 

Had PremiumPlus on NCL last October.  Not only did they give you the bottle, but a wine waiter in a speciality restaurant told me to request that it be decanted each time as I was entitled to that service due to having the package.  Said there were only 4 on the cruise who had the package (don’t know if that was 4 cabins or just 4 people). 

• Like 1

On 7/1/2022 at 3:23 PM, islandwoman said:

I see that because we have a wine package included with our fare,  that we also are each allowed to bring 2 bottles of wine onboard without a corkage fee.  My question is, is the wine available in the package good enough that it would be a waste of money and effort to bring our own onboard?  Another consideration is that we intend to order room service for some or all of our meals and I see that our wine package does not include wine ordered through room service.  Can we go to the bar and bring back wine to drink in our stateroom? Would it be worth the trouble, or would it be better just to bring our own wine onboard and "throw away" the included wine by the glass? 

Many good points made already.  I'd just say that if you're flexible (i.e. willing to try new wines or get a cocktail/mixed drink in lieu of wine) then there's no need to BYOB.  But if you enjoy upper echelon wines and/or don't want to pay the per bottle mark-up on X, then it is likely worth your while to bring a few bottles.

After my disappointing experience on the Edge in April (tried to order 4 by-the-glass wines off the list at Fine Cut and they had none in stock), I'll definitely be bringing a few bottles on the Millie next month.  It's a personal decision.

btw--am I remembering correctly that you get a discount of bottles of wine when you have a drinks package?  I think I recall 20% off with the Premium package....?

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Whinenowine said:

-am I remembering correctly that you get a discount of bottles of wine when you have a drinks package?  I think I recall 20% off with the Premium package....?

According to celebritycruises.com, the classic package gets a 15% discount on all wines by the bottle, and the Premium Drink Package gets a 20% discount.

https://www.celebritycruises.com/things-to-do-onboard/onboard-packages/beverage-packages

On 7/2/2022 at 1:42 PM, islandwoman said:

We are driving, but two problems.  First wine that gets hot in the Florida climate will not be as good as it would have been at home. Second, if we don't drink it on the ship and need to take it through customs upon our return, we wouldn't be able to bring in tequila from Mexico!  So we want to be sure that the drink package would be insufficient/unacceptable before committing to bring wine onboard.

Just a clarification here: you can absolutely bring back Tequila and wine. The one liter of alcohol limitation per adult is just the amount that is duty free. You can bring over that amount for personal use, just declare it to the CBP officer when getting off the ship. I bring extra alcohol on pretty much every international trip or cruise, always declare it and have NEVER been asked to pay the duty and taxes on the overage.

This is because the duty and taxes on a bottle of wine or Tequila is around $3.  The CBP officers are just not interested in doing the paperwork for 3 or 6 or even 36 dollars (when I brought a case of wine home). I always know that if they do want to charge me, I'm happy paying those 3 bucks or so a bottle. But it has never happened.

So, feel free to stock up on liquor to bring home, as long as it's for personal use!  (DO NOT fail to declare it to the CBP officer, because the "failure to declare" fines are far higher than the otherwise due duties and taxes.)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1