Connecting room balcony question

Shel71

Our Sun sailing was canceled for next week so we were able to rebook for the Spirit on the 18th. My son and I are traveling with my parents. With this new booking, we were able to get connecting balcony rooms next to each other. We'd like to open up the divider on balconies. Our bookings aren't connected (two separate reservations). Is it possible to get the divider on the balcony opened? I see here in a search that they do this on RCCL. Do they do it for NCL? Do we have to call ahead or do we just ask once we get to the ship? If at the ship, who do you ask?

27 minutes ago, Shel71 said:

Our Sun sailing was canceled for next week so we were able to rebook for the Spirit on the 18th. My son and I are traveling with my parents. With this new booking, we were able to get connecting balcony rooms next to each other. We'd like to open up the divider on balconies. Our bookings aren't connected (two separate reservations). Is it possible to get the divider on the balcony opened? I see here in a search that they do this on RCCL. Do they do it for NCL? Do we have to call ahead or do we just ask once we get to the ship? If at the ship, who do you ask?

If they allow it, you ask on the ship, ask the room steward

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MoCruiseFan said:

Side by side cabins are ADJOINING cabins.  Cabin with an interior door between the cabins are CONNECTING, but I digress.  The answer is no, it is a fire hazard.

If that's the rule okay, but I am honestly curious how it is a fire hazard? I am not sure how that divider prevents fires? I have seen they do it on other cruise lines. 

32 minutes ago, Shel71 said:

If that's the rule okay, but I am honestly curious how it is a fire hazard? I am not sure how that divider prevents fires? I have seen they do it on other cruise lines. 

The dividers help to slow/prevent the spread of fire. They have the ability to open to allow firefighters to get to the fire without having to chop their way through.

Other lines are willing to take more risk. NCL used to also allow dividers to be opened under certain conditions. When guests were denied while other guests were allowed, the denied guests complained. NCL decided on a blanket "no open" policy.

Are there some stewards who will open them in hopes of getting a tip? Yes.

Are there some guests who will open them on their own? Yes.

Should they be opened? No.

• Like 3

We have asked on several cruises. If you ask someone senior enough they usually agree to open them when we are in port.  The steward opens them in the morning and comes 30 mins before sail away to close them.   Of course we tipped him extra for this.

9 hours ago, Shel71 said:

I see here in a search that they do this on RCCL. Do they do it for NCL?

So, you did a search and found the answer you wanted from another line but ignored results from the NCL section that said you can't?  There are several threads on here with this discussion, your search should have turned those up just as easily as it returned results for NCL.

1 hour ago, hallux said:

So, you did a search and found the answer you wanted from another line but ignored results from the NCL section that said you can't?  There are several threads on here with this discussion, your search should have turned those up just as easily as it returned results for NCL.

They said they did a search and found the information for RCL but not for NCL.  So they came here to ask, what’s wrong with that, isn’t that what CC is for!?!  

• Like 3

2 hours ago, hallux said:

The OP asked a perfectly reasonable question. And I hope that the OP got a reasonable response from others on the forum. The OP was very clear that their searches did not provide information on NCL. Why is it necessary to belittle them? 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, LGW59 said:

They said they did a search and found the information for RCL but not for NCL.  So they came here to ask, what’s wrong with that, isn’t that what CC is for!?!  

Easy enough to do a directed search in the NCL forum for the phrase 'balcony dividers', I found 3 unique threads on the topic (including one from less than 2 months ago), besides this one, with LOTS more discussion, and it took about 10 seconds - 

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/search/?q="balcony dividers"&quick=1&type=forums_topic&nodes=64&updated_after=any&sortby=relevancy

Edited by hallux

8 minutes ago, hallux said:

Easy enough to do a directed search in the NCL forum for the phrase 'balcony dividers', I found 3 unique threads on the topic (including one from less than 2 months ago), besides this one, with LOTS more discussion, and it took about 10 seconds - 

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/search/?q="balcony dividers"&quick=1&type=forums_topic&nodes=64&updated_after=any&sortby=relevancy

And the OP only has 44 posts on here compared to your 3800+, so clearly not as adept as some of the CC “experts”.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, hallux said:

Wow, sorry that I inconvenienced you so much that instead of just bypassing my annoying thread you stopped and spent time scolding me about it in multiple posts. I hope this made you feel really good to be able to make me feel like crap! Mission accomplished!

To explain, we were booked on the Sun on the 5th and did not have adjoining rooms. I did a ton of research for that cruise as I had the luxury of time. You can look at my posting history to see that I wasn't posting non-stop annoying posts but took the time to search and research because I had the luxury of time! Our cruise was canceled on Thursday afternoon by NCL. We quickly worked via text/email with my elderly parents who live 300 miles away to rebook on the Spirit on the 18th (only 17 days to research and prepare). I have a hearing loss and have a cochlear implant and cannot hear on the phone so this all had to be done via text/email with older people who are not quick movers in planning or in the use of tech. This time our rooms are adjoining and I saw a comment in a Facebook group about opening dividers, as well as comments saying it might be against the rules so I was confused. I did a Google search "Can the balcony dividers be opened in adjoining rooms on NCL" and Google spat back a CC post but it was in the RCCL group. I read that and then I posted. Yes, I admit I committed the evil crime of not searching the NCL group with the exact term you, the expert, used. Again, the last 48 hours have been a craze of trying to rebook a cruise and all the excursions from the 5th cruise to the 18th instead. I am so, so, very sorry to have bothered you in such a way. I hope you can forgive this horrible transgression on my part. 

I will make sure to keep my mouth shut from now on and only read here and not post. As the other poster said I have only made 44 posts in my time here since 2011 and sailing on 7 cruises so it's not like I have a habit of posting frivolous questions all the time! I am so glad your 3800+ posts were all perfect and not a single one could have been answered with a search instead of a post. Congratulations.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Shel71 said:

Wow, sorry that I inconvenienced you so much that instead of just bypassing my annoying thread you stopped and spent time scolding me about it in multiple posts. I hope this made you feel really good to be able to make me feel like crap! Mission accomplished!

To explain, we were booked on the Sun on the 5th and did not have adjoining rooms. I did a ton of research for that cruise as I had the luxury of time. You can look at my posting history to see that I wasn't posting non-stop annoying posts but took the time to search and research because I had the luxury of time! Our cruise was canceled on Thursday afternoon by NCL. We quickly worked via text/email with my elderly parents who live 300 miles away to rebook on the Spirit on the 18th (only 17 days to research and prepare). I have a hearing loss and have a cochlear implant and cannot hear on the phone so this all had to be done via text/email with older people who are not quick movers in planning or in the use of tech. This time our rooms are adjoining and I saw a comment in a Facebook group about opening dividers, as well as comments saying it might be against the rules so I was confused. I did a Google search "Can the balcony dividers be opened in adjoining rooms on NCL" and Google spat back a CC post but it was in the RCCL group. I read that and then I posted. Yes, I admit I committed the evil crime of not searching the NCL group with the exact term you, the expert, used. Again, the last 48 hours have been a craze of trying to rebook a cruise and all the excursions from the 5th cruise to the 18th instead. I am so, so, very sorry to have bothered you in such a way. I hope you can forgive this horrible transgression on my part. 

I will make sure to keep my mouth shut from now on and only read here and not post. As the other poster said I have only made 44 posts in my time here since 2011 and sailing on 7 cruises so it's not like I have a habit of posting frivolous questions all the time! I am so glad your 3800+ posts were all perfect and not a single one could have been answered with a search instead of a post. Congratulations.

Here's a good tip that you'll like.   If you hover your cursor on a posters name a box will pop up that includes the "ignore poster" button.  Click on that button and they disappear.  🙂

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, ColeThornton said:

Here's a good tip that you'll like.   If you hover your cursor on a posters name a box will pop up that includes the "ignore poster" button.  Click on that button and they disappear.  🙂

Another option would be to just post your question and then read the replies. There is no requirement that you respond/retort/argue with any of those posting replies...just read the information, take from it what you will, and move on to the next topic. Using "ignore" only prevents you from seeing what certain people post. It affects you, not them. Being open-minded, you want to read all types of responses and make up your mind from there. Once you start ignoring, you walk the path to ignorance.

The overly dramatic "victimhood" posts like post #15 don't help anyone.

19 minutes ago, Shel71 said:

You have absolutely NOTHING to apologize for!  As most have said, you asked a perfectly valid question.  Follow ColeThornton’s advice on the ignore option and please continue to post and ask questions and don’t allow a Negative Nora to change that.  Hope you and your family have a great vacation!!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, SeaShark said:

Another option would be to just post your question and then read the replies. There is no requirement that you respond/retort/argue with any of those posting replies...just read the information, take from it what you will, and move on to the next topic. Using "ignore" only prevents you from seeing what certain people post. It affects you, not them. Being open-minded, you want to read all types of responses and make up your mind from there. Once you start ignoring, you walk the path to ignorance.

The overly dramatic "victimhood" posts like post #15 don't help anyone.

I do admit I did overdue it on my explanation but I did it, not to play a victim, but to prove a point to how he could have scrolled on by instead of scolding me. I also wanted to point out that you never know what is happening in the background of a simple question and it may be better to scroll by with a little grace than be "that person" that has to act holier than thou and scold everyone instead of just moving on. I am not a chronic poster who doesn't search and you can see that in my history of 45 posts in 11 years and 7 cruises! My issue is I am crunched for time and juggling a lot of balls in the air with little time to search and research. I thought the whole point of these forums was to help each other out. That is how I have always conducted myself here. I always help when I can and I scroll by what annoys me (well until today!).

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Shel71 said:

I do admit I did overdue it on my explanation but I did it, not to play a victim, but to prove a point to how he could have scrolled on by instead of scolding me. I also wanted to point out that you never know what is happening in the background of a simple question and it may be better to scroll by with a little grace than be "that person" that has to act holier than thou and scold everyone instead of just moving on. I am not a chronic poster who doesn't search and you can see that in my history of 45 posts in 11 years and 7 cruises! My issue is I am crunched for time and juggling a lot of balls in the air with little time to search and research. I thought the whole point of these forums was to help each other out. That is how I have always conducted myself here. I always help when I can and I scroll by what annoys me (well until today!).

I do get what you are trying to say, but "scroll by if you don't like it" is a very tired and very bad argument. For example, YOU could have just scrolled by the response that you didn't like, but you choose not to. And if it is OK for you to choose not to, it is OK for others to choose not to as well. Consider that others, like you, are also just making a point, and that you have no idea what is going on in the background of their response.

17 hours ago, Shel71 said:

I did not say it prevents fires.  I said it was a hazard.  The hazard it prevents is a rapid spread of a fire should one break out.

24 minutes ago, SeaShark said:

I do get what you are trying to say, but "scroll by if you don't like it" is a very tired and very bad argument. For example, YOU could have just scrolled by the response that you didn't like, but you choose not to. And if it is OK for you to choose not to, it is OK for others to choose not to as well. Consider that others, like you, are also just making a point, and that you have no idea what is going on in the background of their response.

You're right, we both could have just scrolled by the posts we didn't like.

It may not have been the right way to go about it, but I'm a "teach a man (or woman or person) to fish, he (or she or they) eat for a lifetime" rather than "give a man (or woman or person) a fish, he (or she or they) eat for a day" kind of person.  Show how the search works, or that it does at all, and they can likely find the answer they seek without waiting (sometimes hours) for someone to see their post and answer the question.

7 minutes ago, hallux said:

You're right, we both could have just scrolled by the posts we didn't like.

It may not have been the right way to go about it, but I'm a "teach a man (or woman or person) to fish, he (or she or they) eat for a lifetime" rather than "give a man (or woman or person) a fish, he (or she or they) eat for a day" kind of person.  Show how the search works, or that it does at all, and they can likely find the answer they seek without waiting (sometimes hours) for someone to see their post and answer the question.

Except you didn't teach anyone how to do the search you just said it was an easy task that took you 10 seconds, that's not much of a lesson that helps eat for a lifetime.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Shel71 said:

You don't need to explain yourself to bullies nor ever let them make you feel like crap, their nasty attitude is their problem.  I actually feel bad for people like that because their lives are obviously not happy if they need to put down others to make themselves feel good. Wishing you a wonderful cruise with your family!

• Like 5