Checking in at port of Baltimore

NJEMT29

When we check in at the port does platinum and diamond guest have a separate area to check in and after we check in do we go to that room to the far left just for platinum and diamond guest where they had some drinks and snacks or do you sit in general population

thank you

My daughter texted me yesterday after she got on the ship, there was a one hour wait to park the car there 

On 7/3/2022 at 11:02 AM, NJEMT29 said:

When we check in at the port does platinum and diamond guest have a separate area to check in and after we check in do we go to that room to the far left just for platinum and diamond guest where they had some drinks and snacks or do you sit in general population

thank you

Here’s how embarkation and disembarkation went for us (granted we aren’t diamond or platinum, but hopefully still relevant)

1) Embarkation - had a 1:30 arrival time.  Got there at like 12:50.  Parked with no line or wait.  They were boarding everyone at that time so we walked right in, they checked our VeriFLY, and then they ran the passports etc, and we were on the ship maybe 20 min after we parked.   We never sat.

2) Disembarkation - we were on Deck 8, carry on only, so we were the first group off after flights.  Ship got back to Baltimore an hour early, we were let go at 9:15 or so.  By 9:30 we were in the car driving out of Baltimore.  Couldn’t possibly be easier.  We never stopped once after getting off the ship - do they not do customs anymore???  In any event, easiest disembarkation ever for us.

• Like 1

Was on the June 19th sailing. Once you get thru security, they do have a section for Diamond & Suites right by the door to go onboard.  It was extremely disorganized from the beginning.  They weren't checking appointment times and when I asked because I had a noon appointment, the lady told me "everyone sails at the same time" and "diamond doesn't mean crap to carnival out here".  When I asked about what the point of the appointment time was she told me she didn't care and "no one is going to fire me". Very welcoming!

1 hour ago, sbc234 said:

Was on the June 19th sailing. Once you get thru security, they do have a section for Diamond & Suites right by the door to go onboard.  It was extremely disorganized from the beginning.  They weren't checking appointment times and when I asked because I had a noon appointment, the lady told me "everyone sails at the same time" and "diamond doesn't mean crap to carnival out here".  When I asked about what the point of the appointment time was she told me she didn't care and "no one is going to fire me". Very welcoming!

Omg I just spit out my beer lol.

Well she's probably right on both points

• Like 1

On 7/4/2022 at 12:06 PM, M&A said:

My daughter texted me yesterday after she got on the ship, there was a one hour wait to park the car there 

I was on the June 19th sailing and had the same experience. It was awful.

We just wanted to park, but were in a long, mostly-stopped double line of cars. Everyone had to wait for people ahead to slowly unload their bags and put them in luggage carts. No provision was made for those of us not checking bags(it was only a 6-day cruise!)

Only then did we get to the booths to pay for parking - where, in 2022, we still had to sign the credit card receipt.

Seriously ---- why aren't people allowed to park and then get their bags to wherever? Like, say, at an airport?!

Stupid waste of time.

I won't sail from Baltimore again, knowing this is their normal procedure.

Baltimore is incredibly easy to embark/disembark!  Waiting to drop off luggage/park was the longest and that was only about 20 mins when we sailed May 15.  We had a 12:30 check in time, arrive around 11ish to park?  Once we went to check in, they were holding people who were early, but we walked in, they scanned our Verifly, sent us through the scanners, then waited about 5 minutes for a check in person and then walked on the ship.  We were onboard by 1pm.  So easy!

Getting off, we did have a wait, but that's because we weren't carrying off our luggage, but once they called our number, we walked off and were in the car in less than 30mins.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Ilovesailaway said:

What if you were being dropped off at the port by a ride share or taxi? Are you dropped off in a separate area so your driver doesn't get caught up in these lines? 

yes

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Ilovesailaway said:

What if you were being dropped off at the port by a ride share or taxi? Are you dropped off in a separate area so your driver doesn't get caught up in these lines? 

When you enter, they ask if you're parking.  If not, they will direct you to where you can drop off luggage and people and then head out the gate.  Very easy.  Not that the lines are long for anything.

• Thanks 1

I'm starting to get the impression that things might be different for Carnival or RC sailings.  Our recent experiences only apply to RC.

They have been quite strict about checkin times.  So even the cars arriving, after dropping off luggage with the porters, should not have any significant wait to pay for parking, and then park. Then, upon arriving at the terminal to join the lines, we've been asked our time, and directed to the current line or the following line.  All others, with a later time, will be asked to go somewhere else to wait.

No separate line for Diamond and up, but once in the line, inching forward, staff have been good at flagging down the next person/family to assist in getting them processed.  With the additional documents needed these days, things are a bit lengthier, but it does move along.  Just be prepared for the x-ray security line, and then have documents ready to show at the counter.

2 hours ago, shipgeeks said:

I'm starting to get the impression that things might be different for Carnival or RC sailings.  Our recent experiences only apply to RC.

They have been quite strict about checkin times.  So even the cars arriving, after dropping off luggage with the porters, should not have any significant wait to pay for parking, and then park. Then, upon arriving at the terminal to join the lines, we've been asked our time, and directed to the current line or the following line.  All others, with a later time, will be asked to go somewhere else to wait.

No separate line for Diamond and up, but once in the line, inching forward, staff have been good at flagging down the next person/family to assist in getting them processed.  With the additional documents needed these days, things are a bit lengthier, but it does move along.  Just be prepared for the x-ray security line, and then have documents ready to show at the counter.

Royal does have a separate entrance for Suites, Pinns and Key.  We're always in a JS and our boarding pass says "suite" so we can use that entrance.  But, yes, they do enforce arrival times.

One other point that was made to us there a few weeks ago:  If your cruise is on a weekend day, you might be more likely to be processed faster.  On weekdays (many RC cruises), there are fewer shoreside staff at the terminal, as many of them have fulltime jobs elsewhere.  So the process could take a little longer, inside the terminal.

The long lines for parking at the Baltimore Cruise Port is  often due to those who arrive before the cruise parking is open to incoming passengers.

The parking is not available until all cars from the departing passengers are cleared from the lot.

The  parking line for early incoming passengers is also not allowed to extend beyond the port itself. To avoid problems for other vehicles on the streets around the port, early port traffic will be told to keep moving and drive around the area.

• 1 month later...
On 7/8/2022 at 10:55 AM, Homosassa said:

The long lines for parking at the Baltimore Cruise Port is  often due to those who arrive before the cruise parking is open to incoming passengers.

The parking is not available until all cars from the departing passengers are cleared from the lot.

The  parking line for early incoming passengers is also not allowed to extend beyond the port itself. To avoid problems for other vehicles on the streets around the port, early port traffic will be told to keep moving and drive around the area.

This is incorrect ~ we sailed in February and July.  We arrived during our check-in window and went through the process.  People were still coming off the ships to their cars as we are parking and going to check-in.

On 7/7/2022 at 10:11 AM, shipgeeks said:

They have been quite strict about checkin times.  So even the cars arriving, after dropping off luggage with the porters, should not have any significant wait to pay for parking, and then park. Then, upon arriving at the terminal to join the lines, we've been asked our time, and directed to the current line or the following line.  All others, with a later time, will be asked to go somew chere else to wait.

The process is the same for both cruise lines.  We cruised in February and July.  Both times there was a line for the "current" check-in window and a separate line for the "upcoming" check-in window.

On 7/8/2022 at 9:50 PM, mskaufman said:

We left on a Friday and drove right into the lot.  From on board we never saw more than half a dozen cars in line.

Your experience must have been an anomaly ~ on our recent cruises the luggage drop/parking payment process too over an hour each time and we arrived at the proper check-in time.  It was a nightmare!