Pre-cruise COVID Testing Coming to an End

HuliHuli

2 minutes ago, wolft927 said:

Looks legit, was on Cruiseindustrynews.com

Thank Goodness, now don't have to worry about my 9 day cruise 9/29/22

Scratch that, testing still required for all cruises leaving out of US port, new it was to good to be true lol

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, wolft927 said:

Scratch that, testing still required for all cruises leaving out of US port, new it was to good to be true lol

NCLH "will no longer require guests to complete precruise COVID-19 testing unless required by local regulations."  So it is not the cruise line requiring testing.

Also see the new EU announcement:

Edited by HuliHuli
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, PUNKT2 said:

On https://www.ncl.com/sail-safe:

EU Healthy Gateways Ends Pre-Cruise Testing Requirements

For sailings beginning August 1, 2022, vaccinated guests sailing on a cruise originating from any port EXCEPT a U.S. port; Canadian port; or Piraeus, Greece are exempt from all pre-cruise COVID-19 testing requirements.

Now if only the US would end this, it's a very false sense of security imo, you very well could be positive and test negative 2 days prior to cruise just not enough of a viral load yet

• Like 4

Sensational headline, but as they say, “the Devil is in the details”.

I believe this requirement will be lifted sooner rather than later.  NLC has been consistent in the last year and a half.  There was never any ambivalence when it came to the testing and vaccine protocols.  

But, we all knew testing wouldn’t last forever.    They’re filling ships with the current protocols in place.

Perhaps this is a good first step towards NA cruise requirements for COVID testing going away sometime in the next 6 months?  Maybe the next 3 months?  

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, njkate said:

Now if only the US would end this, it's a very false sense of security imo, you very well could be positive and test negative 2 days prior to cruise just not enough of a viral load yet

Too bad that they are ending testing. No sense of security, but it is stopping people with active COVID from boarding ships. 

• Like 3

Sailing out of Europe in August.

Is it good that I don't have to worry about that Covid test so close to departure or that potentially I'm on a ship full of Covid positive passengers?

Ummm.  Think I'd prefer the former (at least when they tested 72 hours before anyway as good as that is)

Edited by fowler9

4 hours ago, wolft927 said:

Testing is required from the USA only because cruise lines have opted into the CDC guidelines. These too will change.  

The CLIA called for a review of the CDC requirements 3 weeks ago stating it is unfair to hold cruise lines to different standards. Remember, Cruise lines are Voluntarily operating under the CDC standards. I suspect if change doesn't happen reasonably soon, that too may change. Things are still very fluid in the cruise industry.

The Pre-testing rules are costing the cruise industry millions of dollars. When it all shakes out, follow the money.

"If money can be the reason why testing and vaccination requirements don't exist in hotels, airplanes, theme parks, concerts, and sporting events, then money should be a viable reason to consider dropping the testing requirement before taking a cruise"

https://www.thestreet.com/investing/cruise-lines-call-for-cdc-to-change-covid-testing-policy

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Native Floridian 26 said:

Does anyone know what is specific about boarding in Athens (PIraeus) that excludes them from the lifted test requirements?

I think it’s pretty clear from the NCLH press release that the local government requires the testing.