should i prepay service charges?

21 hours ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

Do you folks prepay your December rent to "get it out of the way" and have "one less thing to think about?"

Actually I pay all of my bills one month in advance and I keep three months worth of expenses in a separate bank account.  Of course because I do this my credit score is only 839

Edited by MoCruiseFan
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, MoCruiseFan said:

Actually I pay all of my bills one month in advance and I keep three months worth of expenses in a separate bank account.  Of course because I do this my credit score is only 839

Good for you!  Would your credit score be any less if you just paid all your bills on time?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

Good for you!  Would your credit score be any less if you just paid all your bills on time?

They are paid on time and I never carry a balance on my credit cards.  Never had a late payment in my life.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, disneylover89 said:

No, I do not prepay.  I never pay anything before it is due.  If the gratuities go up, so be it, the staff works hard and deserves the additional dollar a day.

I would be surprised if the difference between someone paying the old or new rate based on prepaying or not affects the amount that the staff actually receive.

• Like 5

On 7/8/2022 at 12:29 AM, ChiefMateJRK said:

Do you folks prepay your December rent to "get it out of the way" and have "one less thing to think about?"

If my landlord says it will go up if I don't pay by 'xyz' date, then yes, I would.

For the cruise, we're not talking mega bucks here folks. What was this most recent increase, $3/day depending on the cabin type you're in?

It's truly just personal preference. When I walk on board, I like knowing I have a negative balance and can splurge for those Louis XIII tastings and $300 bottles of wine when the mood strikes. If I don't prepay, then my 'splurge' fund goes down.

When our sailing schedules finally align one of these days, I'll be sure to buy @ChiefMateJRKa taste of something fancy. If you can swing it, the 🐀 cruise on Prima 9/2023 will have a very heft splurge fund... just saying...

25 minutes ago, Sailing12Away said:

When our sailing schedules finally align one of these days, I'll be sure to buy @ChiefMateJRKa taste of something fancy. If you can swing it, the 🐀 cruise on Prima 9/2023 will have a very heft splurge fund... just saying...

Nice!!  I think we're committed to a fall 2023 repositioning, but you never know where a 🐀will turn up. 😎

9 hours ago, The Shrike said:

I really can't believe this has gone to two pages.  It could have been one response: "If you want to prepay, do so.  If not, don't."

Sort of like tipping when the ONLY right answer is to tip whomever you want to tip whatever amount you want at any time you want.

5 hours ago, Sailing12Away said:

If my landlord says it will go up if I don't pay by 'xyz' date, then yes, I would.

For the cruise, we're not talking mega bucks here folks. What was this most recent increase, $3/day depending on the cabin type you're in?

Yeah, I get that.  I think I did once prepay them when they announced the annual increase.  I rarely will walk away from "free money."

10 hours ago, The Shrike said:

I really can't believe this has gone to two pages.  It could have been one response: "If you want to prepay, do so.  If not, don't."

hear hear. My chuckle is for the people who somehow feel appalled by those who prepay their gratuities. Hey, do what is best for you 🙄

Edited by spanishguy1970
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, The Shrike said:

I just find it mildly entertaining that even with a benign subject such as this one, there are a couple snarky comments. For heavens sakes, folks. :-0

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

22 hours ago, The Shrike said:

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

hey chief mate. you might get a kick or a shock out of this. on your response to my prior post to you about having sometingto hide, cruise critic has advised that i am not authorized to view that post.

censorship finally rears its ugly head. 

i know sometimes posts between people get nasty and snarky (god knows ive been on the receiving end of a lot of them, but to arbitrarily not allow viewing of some post, imho is a little over the top.

come ob cruise critic, if its not profanity, of can be considered x-rated, what are you afraid of?

38 minutes ago, complawyer said:

hey chief mate. you might get a kick or a shock out of this. on your response to my prior post to you about having sometingto hide, cruise critic has advised that i am not authorized to view that post.

censorship finally rears its ugly head. 

i know sometimes posts between people get nasty and snarky (god knows ive been on the receiving end of a lot of them, but to arbitrarily not allow viewing of some post, imho is a little over the top.

come ob cruise critic, if its not profanity, of can be considered x-rated, what are you afraid of?

Yep.  I saw that.  My response was that "I haven't had anything to hide since they started giving the free booze package to everybody."   I can't for the life of me see what the controversy was in that.  It appears that that entire thread was deleted.

Edited by ChiefMateJRK

36 minutes ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

Yep.  I saw that.  My response was that "I haven't had anything to hide since they started giving the free booze package to everybody."   I can't for the life of me see what the controversy was in that.  It appears that that entire thread was deleted.

I saw his comment and your response this morning and for the life of me can't understand what would have gotten them purged.  They seemed pretty innocuous and not in the least argumentative compared to some conversations I've seen elsewhere.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, The Shrike said:

I saw his comment and your response this morning and for the life of me can't understand what would have gotten them purged.  They seemed pretty innocuous and not in the least argumentative compared to some conversations I've seen elsewhere.

They weren't.  @complawyerand I are friends and, while we've jousted a bit at times, it's all in good fun.

• Like 1