Is this true about MSC cruises booked after 2022-06-30?

MM42

I called MSC Canada on Monday to book a cruise and the agent told me that if people test positive to Covid while on the cruise, they will have to disembark at the next port of call so that's why you should get the Covid protection plan. Is that true? 

Are MSC testing passengers throughout the cruise?  I don't know the answer to your question but wanted to piggyback because I just booked a 7 night cruise and it was my understanding that there was no required testing unless on a back2back.  Hopefully someone knows the answer to both our questions.

45 minutes ago, lienf said:

When I have called the US number I’m rerouted back to MSC Canada because I’m calling from a Canadian phone number. 

You should be able to get them to put you through.  I am in Canada and we booked through an agent through my friend's work. Turns out we were booked on the US site so MSC Canada couldn't help me fix something.  They put me through to US. 

I think it's difficult to get accurate information through MSC customer service.  You may get an answer.  There is a 50/50 chance that it is correct.  Perhaps a bit less than 50/50, in my experience.

• Like 1

And to turn things more complex, the MSC's covid regulations are now each time more focused on the ports of call measures mandatory on said destination legislation rather than on MSC's proper protocols. If a port on your cruise demands said protocol, then MSC will apply it. If not, common protocol seems now to be minimal. Some websites might to be out of date, but you can usually to see the main protocols in English form wherever you're in the world.

51 minutes ago, 1kaper said:

You should be able to get them to put you through.  I am in Canada and we booked through an agent through my friend's work. Turns out we were booked on the US site so MSC Canada couldn't help me fix something.  They put me through to US. 

They have put me through because I booked with a US agent, but we should be able to get through on the first call rather than waiting again on hold for an agent. 

An agent from MSC Canada is supposed to call me back with an answer from his supervisor. He said that before 2022-07-01, people who tested positive were ordered to stay in their cabin  but since 2022-07-01 he does not know....

Edited by MM42

7 hours ago, MM42 said:

I called MSC Canada on Monday to book a cruise and the agent told me that if people test positive to Covid while on the cruise, they will have to disembark at the next port of call so that's why you should get the Covid protection plan. Is that true? 

The answer is it depends at what point in the cruise you test positive. Each port has an agreement with the cruise line as to whether disembark or remain onboard. So the quarantining onboard totally depends on when and where.

4 hours ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

Are MSC testing passengers throughout the cruise?  I don't know the answer to your question but wanted to piggyback because I just booked a 7 night cruise and it was my understanding that there was no required testing unless on a back2back.  Hopefully someone knows the answer to both our questions.

They are only testing onboard if you have symptoms. And no, testing for B2B is not required.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, cruiseguyinorl said:

They are only testing onboard if you have symptoms. And no, testing for B2B is not required.

When did they stop testing for B2B?  In mid June on the Seashore, they tested all people that were on a B2B.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Paphillyguy said:

When did they stop testing for B2B?  In mid June on the Seashore, they tested all people that were on a B2B.

I booked a B2B so I will ask the agent... if he calls me back....

1 hour ago, cruiseguyinorl said:

The answer is it depends at what point in the cruise you test positive. Each port has an agreement with the cruise line as to whether disembark or remain onboard. So the quarantining onboard totally depends on when and where.

The only information I found on their websites ( MSC Canada, France, Italy and USA) is the same:

If the onboard medical team determines a suspected COVID-19 case, a comprehensive isolation procedure and response plan will be activated in close cooperation with the health authorities.

That's exactly what I want to know. What is their response plan?

2 hours ago, MM42 said:

That's exactly what I want to know. What is their response plan?

I had the same question back in February before our first cruise on the Seashore. Had our TA call MSC, she called her MSC rep who told her "It will be determined on a case by case basis." All we can say is no one was reported 'left behind' on any island we visited on the 5 cruises since February 2022. 

P.S. While on board  2 weeks ago, all staff were tested every week. Those testing positive were quarantined on the ship until we got back to Miami where they were removed to housing on shore until testing negative.

Edited by morpheusofthesea
P.S.
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Stockjock said:

I think it's difficult to get accurate information through MSC customer service.  You may get an answer.  There is a 50/50 chance that it is correct.  Perhaps a bit less than 50/50, in my experience.

Perfect answer. I am going with more like 25/75.😁

• Like 1

True is that you don´t need a mandatory Covid insurance for all bookings starting July 1st 2022. So by "threatening" you they just wanted to sell you insurance or tell you that it´s still a good thing to have insurance.

steamboats

On 7/8/2022 at 7:15 PM, morpheusofthesea said:

P.S. While on board  2 weeks ago, all staff were tested every week. Those testing positive were quarantined on the ship until we got back to Miami where they were removed to housing on shore until testing negative.

I thought Canada does not require a negative covid test to return -- so if they are asymptomatic or can fake it (like most do), what stops them from going on the plane and not moved to housing on shore?

On 7/8/2022 at 3:21 PM, Georgia_Peaches said:

We have just returned from a cruise from Southampton and there was no testing after you board. I am not sure what happens if someone had symptoms during the cruise and what happens next. 

• Thanks 1