yacht club butler tipping

ginger123snaps

Its included in your fare as a baseline answer.  And MSC states they do not reccomend tipping individual staff members.

Those are the official answers.  What you do is your business and there are those that tip zero and those that tip thousands apparently from what I have read on this board.😁

• Like 1

A reasonable question for a first time YC guest.  The above posters provided good advice.  

For me, there are too many different Butlers who provided me with service in the YC Lounge, the YC Pool Deck, and too many Stewards in the YC Restaurant to tip them all.  My suite's Butler?  Yes.  I did provide an additional gratuity that was based on his service in comparison to what I would receive from a Cabin Steward on other cruises.  I provided the same amount to the Assistant Butler (who, I think, actually did more than her superior).  Was it sufficient?  I thought so.  I did offer a gratuity to the YC Restaurants' Maitre d's.  They deserved it based on their service that benefited me.  I did not offer an additional gratuity to the Concierges.  I used their services only twice and it was for mundane things.  

We will admit to being long time world travelers (I guess we are blessed).  Over the years we have realized that Americans are obsessed with our tipping culture and sometimes we cannot help ourselves.  We have been nowhere else in the world (and we have been to about 150 countries) that shares this tipping culture.  In fact, we have been asked (in many countries) why America is willing to pay these outrageous tips.  Consider that not only has the dollar amount of tips increased along with general prices, but the percentage used has also increased (a double whammy).  When I was a kid tipping in our country was in the 5-10% range.  Now, folks are OK with 20 and even 25%!  

So, we get to the MSC Butler question.  MSC has adopted the popular technique of low balling cruise prices and then using tips as a price booster.  Tips (you can call it what you want) are simply added on to everyone's onboard accounts.  Most folks just accept it, pay it as part of their onboard account, and seldom have any idea where that money goes (and the cruise line keeps that a big secret).  So now the American "tipping culture" and what some call "tipping guilt" take over and folks think, "how much more do I need to tip on top of the tips I have already paid?"  And my answer is a big zero!  You do not need to tip anything extra and most MSC passengers from Europe are quite comfortable not tipping extra.   If you want to donate more of your hard earned money to the crew then the sky is the limit :).  There are no rules.  Since we are proud Americans (and admit to loving our country) we do sometimes slip some extra cash to various crew members who deliver services we think are above and beyond the norm.

By the way, for those of you that did not cruise in the "good ole days" it used to be different.  Mass market lines had "tipping guidelines" which they would publish (and often deliver to your cabin in some kind of letter) along with "envelopes."  Some lines went as far as imprinting the envelopes with the titles of whom they thought should get tips. I still remember getting an envelop on a cruise ship that was labeled "Assistant House Keeper Supervisor" and being puzzled  We had never met or had no clue who this person was but we got an envelope.  Folks were "encouraged" to put cash in those envelopes and deliver them to the appropriate folks.  But that all ended when the old fixed seatings and assigned waiters ended.  I think my favorite tipping policy was on Holland America where they used to say "tipping not required."  In my world tipping is never "required."  And those folks that shell out hundreds of dollars in the name of tips are doing nothing more than trying to bribe folks to deliver the service they are already expected to deliver to everyone.  So those "big tippers" are simply folks who are saying, "I have more money than the next guy, am willing to spend it, so please treat me better then you treat others"

There is something to say for the Aussies who always tell me, "we pay folks a living wage so there is no need to tip."

Hank

• Like 6

@Hlitner So well put! I so enjoyed not worrying about the tipping culture when we were in Europe recently. I have been second-guessing myself about the cruise because of others comments related to their tipping. 

I do wonder how staff on MSC cruises in the Caribbean feel, where there are probably more Americans and more tipping vs. European and other countries.

16 hours ago, Hlitner said:

And those folks that shell out hundreds of dollars in the name of tips are doing nothing more than trying to bribe folks to deliver the service they are already expected to deliver to everyone.  So those "big tippers" are simply folks who are saying, "I have more money than the next guy, am willing to spend it, so please treat me better then you treat others"

Very well said, especially that "bribe" thing is the point. There are indeed some other countries in the world that share this excessive tipping culture with you, actually quite a lot. Where nothing can be done if only the official price is paid without a "tip". The idea to tip to get better service then others is really a very ugly thing and in my opinion should be proscribed. 

Having said this, I do also tip nowadays. Not so much on a cruise ship where the jobs and the salaries are good, but when using Grab (same like Uber) for a ride or a meal delivery. Those guys are using their own vehicles to do me a favour for very limited money. Certainly if the price is not so low, I would not tip, also happens. Has nothing to do with bribe as the service is already done and one probably will not meet the driver again in this life. 

And about how much tip? I guess there is a very simple internationally valid basic rule, the price of a coffee. Yes, I know, the Russians and the Chinese call it "tea money", the Germans "drinking money" 😄

1 minute ago, perakcruiser said:

Very well said, especially that "bribe" thing is the point. There are indeed some other countries in the world that share this excessive tipping culture with you, actually quite a lot. Where nothing can be done if only the official price is paid without a "tip". The idea to tip to get better service then others is really a very ugly thing and in my opinion should be proscribed. 

Having said this, I do also tip nowadays. Not so much on a cruise ship where the jobs and the salaries are good, but when using Grab (same like Uber) for a ride or a meal delivery. Those guys are using their own vehicles to do me a favour for very limited money. Certainly if the price is not so low, I would not tip, also happens. Has nothing to do with bribe as the service is already done and one probably will not meet the driver again in this life. 

And about how much tip? I guess there is a very simple internationally valid basic rule, the price of a coffee. Yes, I know, the Russians and the Chinese call it "tea money", the Germans "drinking money" 😄

I do think that we Americans are often generous folks and tipping has become a norm in our culture.  But these days, in most restaurants, it is no longer considered a "gratuity" but rather an obligation.  And the current standard is now 20%.  Consider that in some cities there are also sales taxes that can exceed 10%.   Some European friends have expressed frustration since they have trouble adjusting to our system where a restaurant bill might be (for example) $100 for food/drink but the final bill will be closer to $130 (or more).  And these days we have even seen some interesting add-ons in restaurants such as a "Covid surcharge"  or "Inflation adjustment."  I kid you not!

Another warning in our country (USA) is that many hotels (and resorts) now add on what they usually call a "resort fee."  On many hotel booking sites you may not see this item or it is hidden in the fine print.  These so called "resort fees" can approximate $50 a day (on top of the hotel room price) and then to add insult to injury you might see local/state hotel taxes in the 20% range.  So that $200 a night room you book on line might actually cost you about $300 when you actually get the final bill.  I think the so-called "Resort Fees" have Freached a ridiculous level.  In Las Vegas it is very common,    It is interesting to Google "resort fees" and read some of the related articles.

Hank

22 hours ago, Hlitner said:

Some lines went as far as imprinting the envelopes with the titles of whom they thought should get tips. I still remember getting an envelop on a cruise ship that was labeled "Assistant House Keeper Supervisor

I have cruised since 1970 and I do not recall such specifically designated envelopes.  I do recall envelopes being left in my stateroom.  A note to explain there purpose?  Probably.

I think my favorite tipping policy was on Holland America where they used to say "tipping not required." 

And those folks that shell out hundreds of dollars in the name of tips are doing nothing more than trying to bribe folks to deliver the service they are already expected to deliver to everyone.  So those "big tippers" are simply folks who are saying, "I have more money than the next guy, am willing to spend it, so please treat me better then you treat others"

I sailed on HAL during those years and I do recall this policy.  I also knew what guests on ships did regarding tipping in the '50's and '60's did.  HAL's policy never quite "set right" with me.  Your comment about those of us who did tip during that era misses the mark as it pertains to me.  (More money than the next guy and I am willing to spend it for better service.)  Those were lean years for me; I remain amazed that I was able to spend on cruising what I did for both my family and me.  Better service expected?  How can that be?  My Stewards received their gratuities on the final day/evening of the cruse.  Their envelopes were a "thank you" for their service.  It was in 1970 and it remains my intention when I offer a gratuity in 2022.  

4 hours ago, Hlitner said:

I think the so-called "Resort Fees" have Freached a ridiculous level.

Resort fees should be renamed to the "Fleecing of our Guests".  I won't book a hotel that has such fees.  

41 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

I have cruised since 1970 and I do not recall such specifically designated envelopes.  I do recall envelopes being left in my stateroom.  A note to explain there purpose?  Probably.

Fair question and you deserve an answer.  We actually did not take our first HAL cruise until at least the late 80s (on the old Maasdam).  Back in the 70s and most of the 80s we were primarily on RCI (than RCCL, Princess and Celebrity).  We also cruised on Orient Lines and Sitmar (before they became Princess).  But I believe it was on RCCL (might have also been on Celebrity) when the white envelopes (that were routinely left in cabins on the last day of a cruise) had printed crew positions such as Steward, Assist. Steward, Waiter, Assist, Waiter, Maitre'd, etc.  They also would leave printed tip "Guidelines" such as $3.50 per person/day for a cabin steward.   We had no problem with this practice as it was just the way it was done in those days.  

As to HAL, I think that might have been the era when they would say "tipping not required" so no surprise if they did not follow that practice.  In those days we viewed HAL as a more upscale line that was for old people!   Now we view HAL as a budget mass market line that is still for very old people (which now includes me).  Just today I noticed a post on the HAL blog from a poster that had recently cruised on HAL with two kids.  He was not very happy with their teen program (or lack thereof) but admitted he booked HAL thinking it was a more sedate cruise line.  I did not post on that thread but agreed with the "sedate" comment and thought, if they take their kids on a "sedate" line would they not expect a sedate kids/teens program.  He also mentioned that the teens liked to play basketball, but then some older cruisers complained so they took away the basketballs.  Made me smile because that sounds like the HAL I know.

Hank

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

They also would leave printed tip "Guidelines" such as $3.50 per person/day for a cabin steward.   We had no problem with this practice as it was just the way it was done in those days.  

Those guidelines is what I remember as well.  And, it seemed to fit with what I had learned from my reading about from those who sailed before me experienced.  (Thank you John Maxtone-Graham and many others in a variety of sources.)  

As to HAL, I think that might have been the era when they would say "tipping not required" so no surprise if they did not follow that practice.  In those days we viewed HAL as a more upscale line that was for old people! 

Upscale?  It was.  Not the Verandah Grill dining guests on the Queens, but, much more upscale than the new "upstarts" in the cruising world in the early years.  

Just today I noticed a post on the HAL blog from a poster that had recently cruised on HAL with two kids.  He was not very happy

If I am able to pull together a family cruise for a family that lives in Maryland and Alaska with me in Ohio, HAL is not a contender.  Given the ages of my Grand-Nephews and Grand-Niece and their parents, Disney has the inside track.  Besides, it would be something "different" for me!  

I appreciate you replying to my post.  Thank you.  

Edited by rkacruiser

rka,  If we take our grandchildren on a cruise it would likely be on Disney or RCI.   Celebrity would also be an outside contender.  HAL?  Not even worth considering (and we are 5* Mariners).  

Hank

• Like 1

9 hours ago, emmas gran said:

Did our first cruise 1991 and yes we had the envelopes, I think they were around till maybe early 2000's

Yes!  That was about the time DW and I started noticing huge increase in "no shows" in the main dining rooms on the last night of the cruise!  😢 So then began the daily service charge plan.

• Haha 1

When I joined CC in 2003 they were still giving out envelopes.  I remember a poster who used to brag  he didn't believe in tipping and that he would stuff the tip envelopes with paper.😒

2 hours ago, JAGR said:

Yes!  That was about the time DW and I started noticing huge increase in "no shows" in the main dining rooms on the last night of the cruise!  😢 So then began the daily service charge plan.

They also started complaining about service 2/3 nights prior!!

• Haha 1