How is anyone managing the chaos of Air travel and getting to the ship on time?

jonthomas

Just back to topic and wanted to report that most on our roll call had got their cases and arrived safely in Copenhagen.

One case is still in Munich and will not arrive before the ship sails this afternoon.

One case that did not arrive has been located and they hope to collect it this morning.

I rest my case!

Bring your carry ons.

Rosalyn

• Like 4

Oops,

Fly to Miami on Christmas Day as historically the passenger volume is much lighter. Southwest is very good about Cancellation Credit and no Fees and 2 Free Checked bags. 
One thing we are considering is using Luggage Free or similar service to ship our bags to Miami, $95 for Checked bags size and less for Carry On size. Our bags will be in our room when we arrive on board, Guaranteed 🙏🤞. A bit of a cost but peace of mind and reduced anxiety is worth $100 IMHO. I will probably put some Apple Tags in our bags to monitor their travel and location. Ah technology. 
Ciao, Mauibabes 

16 minutes ago, mauibabes said:

One thing we are considering is using Luggage Free or similar service to ship our bags to Miami, $95 for Checked bags size and less for Carry On size. Our bags will be in our room when we arrive on board, Guaranteed 🙏🤞. A bit of a cost but peace of mind and reduced anxiety is worth $100 IMHO. 

Well that's interesting.  I usually travel with just a carry-on but I'm surprised that the luggage shipping service is that reasonable!

Me too but you have to check and compare.  Domestic vs International prices. Now to send that same $95 bag to Buenos Aires, the price jumps to $469 so the bargain “has left the building”. I guess peace of mind and anxiety reached the break even point somewhere between 95 and 469 🤪🛳 

I am even considering sending my bags with a friends Luggage Free pick up. They will board in Miami and will have them stow our bags under their bed or let their Room Steward stow them for a month. At least we will know they are there for us when we arrive on board.

Just a thought.

Ciao, Mauibabes

Fly from a hub if possible, between hubs is even better.  The regional airports are having the most issues with cancellations and changes and the drive time to a hub if possible may be worth it.

We were flying Indianapolis-San Francisco-Papeete next month.  My IND to SFO segments were changed so many times that I called United this morning and changed the IND flights to Chicago. It’s an hour longer drive to O’hare but I’m flying hub to hub ORD to SFO making my chances of catching my PPT flight much greater.  Even so, we still booked 2 nights in PPT before the sailing just in case!

Err on the side of caution nowadays.

• Like 2

I've used Luggage Forward several times for cruises and am glad I did.  Since I'm usually traveling alone, it's worth it not to be dragging suitcases through airport terminals - and wondering if my luggage is going to show up on the carousel on arrival.  It's not cheap, but it's made sense for me.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, mauibabes said:

One thing we are considering is using Luggage Free or similar service to ship our bags to Miami, $95 for Checked bags size and less for Carry On size. Our bags will be in our room when we arrive on board, Guaranteed 🙏🤞.

We used ShipGo for the first time in May.  We spent 4 nights in Rome prior to embarking Marina.  Three pieces of luggage were sent to the ship with ShipGo.  Bag #1 cleared customs in 2 days at FCO.  Bag #2 did not clear customs until the day before embarkation, a full 2 weeks after pickup.  Bag #3 did not clear customs until after our sailing.  ShipGo was very responsive and kept in contact with us and concierge on the ship.  Our 3rd bag finally got to us in Bordeaux France, 10 days into our cruise.  BTW the international reps at ShipGo also handle Luggage Forward and Luggage Free.  There were over 200 bags with all 3 services that were held up in Rome customs during a 2 week period in May.

Lessons Learned:

-Cross pack all luggage.  We had packed outfits for each of us which included all coordinating accessories/shoes.  This allowed us to wear what was packed in the 2 pieces of luggage that did arrive on time.  

-All apparel was packed in 2 gallon ziploc bags in the event that luggage sat out in the rain on a tarmac.

-There is no "guarantee" that any of these services will deliver your bags on time.  We received a full refund from ShipGo immediately upon our return home for the charge of the delayed  piece of luggage.  We also submitted our purchases to our insurance along with delayed baggage coverage.  Those are still pending.

-Although ShipGo international reps were diligent in tracking and contacting overseas agents, their "guess" was that there was a bottleneck at customs due to staffing issues.  When we finally received our third bag in France, it did not appear that it had ever been opened.  Everything was neatly packed in the ziploc bags just like I had packed them 3 1/2 weeks prior.

Would we use such a service again?  Depending on the situation and itinerary details we probably would.    We know what pitfalls there are.  We also know that expectations need to be tempered and realistic. 

-Katie

As an avid cruiser (on many lines) I find this particular thread one of the more entertaining when compared to similar threads elsewhere on "O."    I especially love the folks that think the air thing is all overblown hype.  It is not!  In fact, I think it is getting worse in Europe and starting to improve in the USA.    We recently returned from Europe where we took intra-European flights and eventually flew back to the States from Munich (having started that same day in Prague).   Our plans were modified by 3 cancelled flights and 2 delayed flights.  In the end, we had to rent a car and drive over 5 hours to get to our home (all the extra cost was on us).  And the only reason we could even get a rental car was because we had the rental car company's app,, had some status, and booked before others who were not as cautious.  By the time we picked up our rental car at Newark, all available rental cars were booked!  We saw lots of folks very unhappy without a clue what to do.

If I had to get to Europe for a cruise (in the next two months) I would do everything possible to do it with a single non-stop flight.  Trying to make any connection in Europe is just nutz and even if you do make your flight (s) there is a lot of risk that your luggage will not be with you on that final flight.  Within the USA most would advise booking early morning non-stop flights from major airports!  

Those of you that are flying to a cruise should do everything possible to change your flights (and make land arrangements) to fly-in at least 2 days early!  Those who have this silly notion that "O" will take care of their flight issues are likely to be very disappointed if they miss their cruise.  This is not about "O" but about an airline/airport industry that is simply broken and only surviving on a lifeline!  When things go wrong (cancelled and delayed flights) your best bet is to have the airline apps on your phone and know how to use them.  Trying to get to customer service in an airport can involve hours of waiting and reaching an airline (or a cruise line) on the phone can also mean hours of waiting.  And while you are waiting, others who know how to do things for themselves (using apps and the Internet) will get the few remaining seats.

For those that think they can just travel with carry-on....well maybe yes and maybe no.  There is an online story (today) about a women who was traveling on Lufthansa with only carry-on.  The airline made her check her carry-on because there was no more overhead space.  When she reached Frankfurt she was unable to get her luggage.  Lufthansa said it was piled with about 20,000 other pieces and they would get it to her within the next two weeks!  That is reality.  

Hank

• Thanks 3

11 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

For those that think they can just travel with carry-on....well maybe yes and maybe no.  There is an online story (today) about a women who was traveling on Lufthansa with only carry-on.  The airline made her check her carry-on because there was no more overhead space.  When she reached Frankfurt she was unable to get her luggage.  Lufthansa said it was piled with about 20,000 other pieces and they would get it to her within the next two weeks!  That is reality. 

Investing in a soft sided backpack-style carry-on bag is probably a good investment for those that don't have them yet. They fit under the seat even on the commuter-size plane I sometimes use between SEA and BLI. Squish it down and shove the personal bag in there too...makes a good footrest for long flights if your legs aren't long. My husband has often been allowed to keep his bag when others with wheels had to check. If he packs light it will sometimes squish into an otherwise "full" overhead.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

If I had to get to Europe for a cruise (in the next two months) I would do everything possible to do it with a single non-stop flight.  Trying to make any connection in Europe is just nutz and even if you do make your flight (s) there is a lot of risk that your luggage will not be with you on that final flight.  Within the USA most would advise booking early morning non-stop flights from major airports!  

Those of you that are flying to a cruise should do everything possible to change your flights (and make land arrangements) to fly-in at least 2 days early!   

It's been our philosophy for years that if we "HAD" to make a connection it should be in the USA and then straight to Rome or London or where ever.  We've had to connect in Atlanta, Charlotte, Philly in the past but it's worked out and this summer more than ever I would do that.  And, yes, at least 2 days ahead of the cruise.  Very glad our next trip isn't until late October.

1 minute ago, Gracie115 said:

It's been our philosophy for years that if we "HAD" to make a connection it should be in the USA and then straight to Rome or London or where ever.  We've had to connect in Atlanta, Charlotte, Philly in the past but it's worked out and this summer more than ever I would do that.  And, yes, at least 2 days ahead of the cruise.  Very glad our next trip isn't until late October.

Agree!  Normally we have no problem making connections in Europe, but this year is definitely the exception to that rule!  Funny thing is that our favorite European airport for connections is normally Schipol (Amsterdam).  But lately this is among the worst airports on earth to make a connection.  

Hank

4 hours ago, Hlitner said:

With all the air travel craziness this summer, I booked biz class.  I'm assuming they'll have overhead space for my carry-on.  Fingers crossed!

I recommend you have alternative flight suggestions for when your flight is cancelled.  I have three if our flight from Stockholm gets cancelled to offer to the agent to rebook us on.

Have two if our hop flight from Paris to Copenhagen is missed or cancelled on Tuesday.

I have found preplanning makes for good planning.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, YoPhilly said:

With all the air travel craziness this summer, I booked biz class.  I'm assuming they'll have overhead space for my carry-on.  Fingers crossed!

Plus bigger under seat space! Backpack carry-ons are your friend, especially if you can hook them onto your rolling checked bags.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, GICNJC said:

I recommend you have alternative flight suggestions for when your flight is cancelled.  I have three if our flight from Stockholm gets cancelled to offer to the agent to rebook us on.

Have two if our hop flight from Paris to Copenhagen is missed or cancelled on Tuesday.

I have found preplanning makes for good planning.

Don't get in line for an agent. Have a way to get online or call you travel insurance concierge or TA. Those alternative flights will be handy, but not if you have to wait in line for 3 hours (real story when spouse was stuck in Dulles and spent the night on the floor with 3000 of his closest friends...arrived in St P 23 hours late).

• Like 1

On 7/12/2022 at 4:18 PM, GICNJC said:
  • Even though SAS pilots are on strike and they have filed for Chapter 11, Oceania is only making flight changes when SAS officially cancels the flight.  That is occurring roughly 2 days before scheduled flights.  This as of July 11th inquiry for a return flight on July 31st.

This happened to my mom. She was supposed to fly back from Venice to Chicago via Copenhagen in premium economy. That flight was canceled. The good news is that Oceania did manage to get her on another flight tomorrow that comes in less than an hour later than her original flight. The bad news is that she’s now on a United flight to Chicago via Newark, in Basic Economy! (And had to pay $75 to check her bag!) Ugh…that’s probably going to suck…but at least she will get home on time.

• Like 1

Glad this is an entertaining topic. 

How many of you that fly in earlier, do not pay for deviation because you have 15 or more cruises with O? 

For those of you that dont, do you feel O should wave the $175 pp for the deviation, to make it easier for us to go in a couple of days earlier? Cant imagine anyone saying, no O should not, but there will be some I am sure. 

32 minutes ago, jonthomas said:

How many of you that fly in earlier, do not pay for deviation because you have 15 or more cruises with O? 

For those of you that dont, do you feel O should wave the $175 pp for the deviation, to make it easier for us to go in a couple of days earlier? Cant imagine anyone saying, no O should not, but there will be some I am sure. 

Book your own air.  

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, YoPhilly said:

While this sounds good (Biz Class is always desirable) there has been a huge downside in the last few months.  Assume that your flight gets cancelled (10s of thousands of flights have been cancelled).  The airline will usually book you onto the next available flight (or combination of flights) that has available Biz Class seats.  This often means your rebooked flights are not for several days until after your original flight,  Sometimes they will simply book you on the next flight in whatever seats are available (i.e. the worst economy seats).  At that point your options are limited.  You can usually cancel the booking and demand a full refund (good luck) but would likely have a big problem finding alternative flights on another airline (who has also been cancelling flights).  It is a nightmare scenario that plays out many times every day all over the world.  

A huge problem is that when this kind of stuff happens, and you try to call the airline to talk about options the telephone hold time can be 6 hours or more (most airlines do have a call-back option).  When this stuff happens at the last minute (like happened to us while we were sleeping in Prague just hours before our flights) there is little you can do but cry or just go along with whatever has happened.  With over 50 years of extensive travel and flying experience I have never seen anything even close to the current mess.   

• Like 2

3 hours ago, jonthomas said:

We just book our own air  solves many problems 

• Like 3

I hate to say it but am also glad to say we are ones who do not pay the $175 Custom Air Fee.  Actually we have paid a lot of $175 fees over the years to have gotten to the O Club 15 Cruise Credit level. While it might be nice to see such an offer from Oceania as a special promotion, I would certainly not expect them to waive the fee.  Perhaps your Travel Agency/Agent could be approached about picking up the Fee because they might also be booking your early arrival hotel accommodations or tours, etc. for which they might earn a commission.  🤞🙏🤪

Everyone has a booking option on when they fly and with every option, there comes a cost. If “Better Safe Than Sorry” is your MO for travel, it certainly is ours,  then I am sure you would be opting for paying the Fee if using Oceania air.  Like was said, you can book your own flights and include the $175 fee in your computations when you are “running the numbers”.  We run the numbers and if we can get our desired flights, be it DIY OR Oceania Air,  we make our decisions. I am afraid we have been stuck with air credits we probably would not use because we made DIY flight arrangements in the past. 

Lots to chat about but it’s Decisions, Decisions. 

With that, I will drop the mic.

Mauibabes

• Like 1