Booked Haven Suite on Epic - so angry before even leaving

ASD19001

11 minutes ago, davencl said:

FYI there are numerous sailings where the 3rd and 4th guest in the Haven are FREE.  Simply check NCL's website listings using that filter.

Yes, but the statement was:

4 hours ago, Falckon said:

Cruise fares are based on guests one and two. The rest of the guests are free. So regardless of what payment arrangements you made with your family, NCL owes guests three, four and five nothing.

[emphasis added]

That is not a universal, full stop.

"Numerous sailings" doesn't mean that "the rest of the guests are free" period!

(And I wonder how often there are specials... what percent of the "extra guests" are actually taking advantage of one of those specials?)

Point is, one certainly cannot count on having that sweet cost structure.

GC

25 minutes ago, The Shrike said:

I sure do.  I could either
A)  Share a suite with five other people, sleeping in a small pull-out bed with a family member, fighting over bathroom and shower times, all so the six of us can share a close, intimate vacation getting spoiled in the Haven

or

B)  Have that exact same Haven experience, EXCEPT I get my own balcony room, queen-sized bed, and bathroom, all at the cost of having to spend a grueling 1-3 minute commute heading to the Haven in the morning and night.

Yep...I agree to those terms.

How do you have the exact same experience if you are in a balcony cabin? For example, one of my favorite Haven features is having the butler quietly set the table for breakfast with a white tablecloth, hot, fresh French press coffee and warm almond croissants while I am still sleeping - and then waking me on his way out.  Awesome vacation experience. Not happening while you are sleeping on a balcony.

Different story if there was some financial compensation. But for the same price?? Not the same service at all.

14 minutes ago, pcakes122 said:

How do you have the exact same experience if you are in a balcony cabin? For example, one of my favorite Haven features is having the butler quietly set the table for breakfast with a white tablecloth, hot, fresh French press coffee and warm almond croissants while I am still sleeping - and then waking me on his way out.  Awesome vacation experience. Not happening while you are sleeping on a balcony.

Different story if there was some financial compensation. But for the same price?? Not the same service at all.

I don't want anyone creeping around my room while I'm sleeping.  Apparently, you're into that, along with having strange Malaysian men wake you up in the morning. 😲

So let's agree to disagree on what an optimum Haven experience is...creepy as yours maybe.

• Like 4
  • Haha 16

5 minutes ago, The Shrike said:

I don't want anyone creeping around my room while I'm sleeping.  Apparently, you're into that, along with having strange Malaysian men wake you up in the morning. 😲

So let's agree to disagree on what an optimum Haven experience is...creepy as yours maybe.

I'm dying laughing!!!

But, I agree with him/her....I agree with everything he/she said about the butler.

Edited by rrraydon
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, pcakes122 said:

if they were going to share the room anyway, why can't that person come up to the room to have breakfast? if the butler is setting up a meal in the room, it's not like the person wouldn't know when that was happening and still get to share in the snacks, etc. 

i do agree that it only works if the remaining 4 people still agree to share the butler services. like ordering room service, the snacks being delivered etc. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, amarvel said:

if they were going to share the room anyway, why can't that person come up to the room to have breakfast? if the butler is setting up a meal in the room, it's not like the person wouldn't know when that was happening and still get to share in the snacks, etc. 

i do agree that it only works if the remaining 4 people still agree to share the butler services. like ordering room service, the snacks being delivered etc. 

If you are OK with paying for a Haven room and sleeping in a balcony, that's great for you. Not sure I understand why you would want to do that, but it's your choice. I just would expect some sort of discount if it happened to me, so I don't think that the original poster is off base at all in expecting that.

18 minutes ago, pcakes122 said:

If you are OK with paying for a Haven room and sleeping in a balcony, that's great for you. Not sure I understand why you would want to do that, but it's your choice. I just would expect some sort of discount if it happened to me, so I don't think that the original poster is off base at all in expecting that.

i dont think they are off base and i would fight for something for sure or even file a claim. but with only a few days til the cruise it sounds like it's what going to happen. i think many of us are just trying to give ideas on how it can still work out. at this point you either be upset all week and that ruins your vacation, or you come up with realistic solutions to still make the best of a bad situation. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, amarvel said:

i dont think they are off base and i would fight for something for sure or even file a claim. but with only a few days til the cruise it sounds like it's what going to happen. i think many of us are just trying to give ideas on how it can still work out. at this point you either be upset all week and that ruins your vacation, or you come up with realistic solutions to still make the best of a bad situation. 

I think most replies were that they actually shouldn't be upset and that they should consider it an "upgrade" of sorts.  Of course I think they should go & enjoy the cruise, but I just wanted them to feel validated that not everyone agrees that they should just accept it without question.  The person who paid for the Haven but won't be able to stay there I'm sure is bummed right now. I know I definitely would be.

At least you also acknowledge that it is a bad situation. 

Edited by pcakes122
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, pcakes122 said:

For example, one of my favorite Haven features is having the butler quietly set the table for breakfast with a white tablecloth, hot, fresh French press coffee and warm almond croissants while I am still sleeping - and then waking me on his way out. 

Yikes!!  Really??

• Like 3

1 hour ago, pcakes122 said:

You have the butler come in the room while you are sleeping and then he awakens you?!  Well OK it is your vacation but dang, talk about earning your money.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

Agree with others that this is more of blessing than a curse. Spending that much time with that many people in one cabin is not my idea of a fun vacation, even if they are my family. Especially on a SOFA BED in what’s supposed to be a luxury-class suite. NCL should be offering haven amenities and services to the balcony person though - butler service on call and all the rest of it. Basically the balcony suite should be treated like a haven suite and a haven experience since that’s what you’re paying for. If they say they can’t do it, this is BS, because customization and individual “pampering” (hate that word, but it’s what they say) is exactly what the haven is known for. All they have to do is provide meal service and a butler phone In the extra cabin…

and if you can get the balcony really close to the haven, I don’t see what’s the big deal. Hell, it might mean getting views of both sides of the ship!!!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, pcakes122 said:

I would like the people who DONT think this is a problem to explain that.

Butler service is the number one Haven perk to me. Losing that alone would be cause for a discount, in my opinion.  

Butler and concierge are probably the least valuable suite perks for me, so not having the butler would have no impact on my trip.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Without knowing more about the OPs personal situation and the relationships between the family members involved (which are none of our business anyway), it is impossible to say whether this is a good or bad change for them.

All we can say is how it would work for us. Personally, it sounds great. Not having the sofa bed made up is a real advantage, as that area can then be used for it’s intended purpose, as an area for people to sit. The person sleeping there doesn’t have their own bathroom and has to basically walk into someone else’s bedroom to use those facilities, which is not ideal.

For me, the ability for that person spend time with their family during the day and then retire at night to a more comfortable bed with their own bathroom at night sounds ideal. Many people in this situation would spend more money to book it that way if the person in the balcony got haven access, so this really would be a result for many people.

However that may not be the case for the OP.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, pcakes122 said:

It is not uncommon for people to ask on this board whether it is possible for their travel companions who are staying in a balcony could join them in using the Haven facilities (or even just access their room). Of course the answer is always no to them being able to use the Haven.

Those groups are paying more than the OP, as they are paying for the balcony as well as the Haven room, so I really don’t think that it is surprising that some people are seeing this as a good deal.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, JustAPilot said:

I like how the whole cruise critic NCL group could all agree that stuffing 5 adults in a room for 6 is a bad idea lol. 

Whether on a ship or a hotel, filling up a room to capacity usually involves someone sleeping on a temporary bed (sofa bed or roll away). It is rarely the most comfortable solution, and if the hotel or ship offered a separate room for that person then they will very likely be more comfortable.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, KeithJenner said:

It is not uncommon for people to ask on this board whether it is possible for their travel companions who are staying in a balcony could join them in using the Haven facilities (or even just access their room). Of course the answer is always no to them being able to use the Haven.

Those groups are paying more than the OP, as they are paying for the balcony as well as the Haven room, so I really don’t think that it is surprising that some people are seeing this as a good deal.

There are also occasionally questions here about whether those in a Haven suite (often a 2BR) could pay in full for everyone in the Haven suite AND then pay in full extra for a separate cabin, specifically for the extra sleeping space (bed and bathroom).

The answer is usually that it's not, but there are reports that it is in fact possible (if one has a good TA, etc., which is often especially helpful to make magic happen).

So for those types, getting that extra cabin *free* is indeed a bonus.  That's where a lot of us are coming from when we consider the extra freebie room as a plus.

But others obviously feel differently... no surprise!

GC

• Like 1

I think OP should let the other 4 family members decide who "the winner" is.

With my husband's family....they'd be happy with 15 in a room.  Heaven forbid one person was sent "to Siberia".  (Not joking about it....our major marital problem.  Cultural differences!)

With me, I'd consider it "winning the lottery".

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, pcakes122 said:

Just how many episodes of "The Crown" have you watched?

• Haha 10

9 hours ago, pcakes122 said:

Do you have to put a special request in prior to sailing to get the butler to sneak into your room? 🙂

• Haha 4

4 minutes ago, lfreda said:

Do you have to put a special request in prior to sailing to get the butler to sneak into your room? 🙂

Depends on how much work is involved in accomplishing the request.  Generally too much notice is better than too little.  Celebrity does have a special requests link in the booking process and if you make the res by phone with a CSR they have always asked me this question.

16 hours ago, Two Wheels Only said:

I don't think that those higher staterooms in the Haven sleep 5/6. 

But if there is any Haven room available for upgrades, then why not give that Haven Room to OP?  I know why - revenue. But regardless, I think that's the OP's point, if there is a Haven avaialbel, give them that instead of the balcony.

7 hours ago, JustAPilot said:

I like how the whole cruise critic NCL group could all agree that stuffing 5 adults in a room for 6 is a bad idea lol. 

Right?  Completely dismisses the fact that the OP consciously decided to book 5 adults in that room.  Typical CC.

5 hours ago, KeithJenner said:

Without knowing more about the OPs personal situation and the relationships between the family members involved (which are none of our business anyway), it is impossible to say whether this is a good or bad change for them.

But the CC crowd won't let that stop them...

4 hours ago, KeithJenner said:

But in this case the OP is paying for Haven for everyone.  

• Thanks 1