Most controversial cruise opinion??

Elsammo46

hey, davechipp1974!  with that  line of thinking, do you also feel you should be able to have "sex" on your balcony?

the ban on smoking on the balconies, is for consideration of others near your cabin.  cant you exist without the cigar?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, complawyer said:

hey, davechipp1974!  with that  line of thinking, do you also feel you should be able to have "sex" on your balcony?

the ban on smoking on the balconies, is for consideration of others near your cabin.  cant you exist without the cigar?

And it is also to prevent a fire. Ever heard of the Star Princess?

• Like 2

On 7/29/2022 at 10:22 AM, F27TW said:

Controversial Opinion:  i absolutely hate the look of some of the new cruise ships coming out now.     I'm sure they're all beautiful inside, but externally is what I'm talking about. 

I'm right there with you! On my last NCL cruise we saw a extensive promo video of the Prima. The first thing I thought was I really didn't like the modern design, didn't like the look of the cabins, hated the idea of the "window" balconies. I think they traded cabin space for large open public spaces and that is a big No-No in my book. I don't like spending a lot of time in large crowds. Lots of smaller little spots around the ship where a few people can sit and relax are better (IMO). So not a fan of the slick modern look at all.

On 7/27/2022 at 3:34 PM, Elsammo46 said:

What do you love to do that everyone else doesn’t? What can you not stand that everyone else raves about? 

Give me your most controversial cruise opinions! 

Mine is that I NEVER sleep in on a cruise; I feel like you’re wasting precious vacation time sleeping in. I set my alarm for between 5:00-5:30 and start my day lol 

You are not alone. We have good friends who for years would only book interior cabins because they spent almost no time in the room.

• Like 1

My most controversial opinion:. taking food off the ship.  In a domestic port, I.e. a U.S. port from a U.S. sailing, or another EU port from an EU sailing, I have no issues taking certain foods off the ship.  If anyone asks, I'll be honest.  Only the Vancouver border guard has ever asked, and that was specifically for fruits.  I simply declared it and they took it; no fine.  It's the lying about it that's bad.

The vast majority of the time, I think the food thing is a cop out, similar to not allowing outside food in a movie theater.  Your orange and banana seeds are not going to grow into orange and banana trees in Alaska.  You're not going to introduce some foreign birch bark beetle to Los Angeles because you took off a pastry from the ship.  

Foreign ports (Cozumel first comes to mind) are a different story.  Don't take food off the ship there.  But in a domestic port, I'm not paying some restaurant $50 because of some customs regulation that doesn't even exist.  Show me the real harm done, and then I will reconsider.  

On 7/28/2022 at 3:24 AM, KeithJenner said:

Actually, the thing I hate the most is when staff start singing to people in the restaurants. I’ve cruised on my birthday and anniversaries and we always make sure that we keep it quiet in case they start singing at us. Makes me cringe just thinking about it.

I also hate this as well. And I hate how the crew is chatty and gathers in the buffet area near folks trying to read and eat.  And do not get me started on the silly washy and begging for handwashing with a silly song or balloon.

I swear the loud music in all venues is to keep the crew happy more than the passengers.

On 7/29/2022 at 1:22 PM, F27TW said:

Controversial Opinion:  i absolutely hate the look of some of the new cruise ships coming out now.     I'm sure they're all beautiful inside, but externally is what I'm talking about. 

Some examples:   The hideous upper structure (above the bridge) of NCL's Epic, which looks SO topheavy and ungainly.  The ugly stern sections of the RC Quantum class (look like a giant set of black teeth hanging off the back of those ships).   The weird narrow "hotel" structures on the sterns of the MSC Seaside and the Virgin ships.  That silly orange freight-elevator contraption (a bar) hanging off the starboard side of the already ugly Celebrity Edge. 

But the thing I dislike most design-wise (and I know its all to improve performance, allegedly) is that new ugly looking reverse bow design,  like on the Prima and the Virgin (and other) ships.   That bow design makes  these ships look like giant locomotives in the water.   There's nothing prettier than the standard traditional cruise ship bow design (in my opinion)! 

I agree with you on a lot except the Quantum class as I like the large glass Two 70 area to look out.

I hate the Edge class ORANGE elevator, and I hate the bungie yellow balls on the back of some RCI ships.

And as for EPIC, I went on her in 2011 and we all said she looked like Donald Duck in the front.

And YES the short stupid bow is very odd.  I like the Disney and HAL ships for their nice dark blue tradition hull and bow.  Love Oasis except for the ugly pink slide with the set of Jaws at the top where you enter the slide.

On 7/28/2022 at 10:28 AM, Travelicious said:

I also thought Cagney's was way overrated before the pandemic, and I quit eating there.  But gave it another try when cruising started back, and it has been excellent on the 3 ships I've been on since.

NOPE I ate there mid July on Breakaway and not only is it very expensive but my steak was very tough and it was medium.  Glad it was my free promo because the meal was not worth $90.

But I find the desserts in the Buffet area each day so much tastier than any RCI ships.

7 hours ago, Oceansaway17 said:

NOPE I ate there mid July on Breakaway and not only is it very expensive but my steak was very tough and it was medium.  Glad it was my free promo because the meal was not worth $90.

Did you send it back? Free or $90, if you didn't send it back then that is on you.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Oceansaway17 said:

We had the same issue. Husband sent the steak back to be cooked a bit more. He ordered medium, it was a bloody maybe, just barely touching medium rare. Yucko for him and close to yucko for me!

It came back - was still tough, not a lot of taste, but was cooked properly. No more Cagney's for us! We were also grateful that it was the Free at Sea, though it was super disappointing.

11 hours ago, tetleytea said:

My most controversial opinion:. taking food off the ship.  In a domestic port, I.e. a U.S. port from a U.S. sailing, or another EU port from an EU sailing, I have no issues taking certain foods off the ship.  If anyone asks, I'll be honest.  Only the Vancouver border guard has ever asked, and that was specifically for fruits.  I simply declared it and they took it; no fine.  It's the lying about it that's bad.

The vast majority of the time, I think the food thing is a cop out, similar to not allowing outside food in a movie theater.  Your orange and banana seeds are not going to grow into orange and banana trees in Alaska.  You're not going to introduce some foreign birch bark beetle to Los Angeles because you took off a pastry from the ship.  

Foreign ports (Cozumel first comes to mind) are a different story.  Don't take food off the ship there.  But in a domestic port, I'm not paying some restaurant $50 because of some customs regulation that doesn't even exist.  Show me the real harm done, and then I will reconsider.  

I was thinking of this yesterday when I read that Australia fined a guy more than $1,000 for bringing two Egg McMuffins to Australia...I'm not a scientist so I can't refute the logic that perhaps hand, foot, mouth disease can be passed on by a cooked slab of ham, but it sure doesn't seem possible. 

Same with what you say regarding domestic ports, though I'll make an exception for Hawaii.

I'm waiting for the hate you get on this controversial item, btw! Popcorn cued up! 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cruiseny4life said:

I was thinking of this yesterday when I read that Australia fined a guy more than $1,000 for bringing two Egg McMuffins to Australia...I'm not a scientist so I can't refute the logic that perhaps hand, foot, mouth disease can be passed on by a cooked slab of ham, but it sure doesn't seem possible. 

Same with what you say regarding domestic ports, though I'll make an exception for Hawaii.

I'm waiting for the hate you get on this controversial item, btw! Popcorn cued up! 

I have taken popcorn off the cruise ship in plain view of security before.   When I drove into the Yukon from Skagway, I literally showed the Canadian border guard my apple.  Nothing.   And renting a car in Skagway is definitely a time when you might want to pack a lunch off the ship.   Drove into Quebec another time and did exactly the same thing, and again, nothing.   Only Vancouver cared.

That guy in Australia was flying in from Bali.  And I'll bet he lied on the customs declaration.

edit:  even Hawaii...although I have not personally tried it there, I just read the regulations, and the Hawaii government site says that processed foods from the U.S. mainland are supposed to be ok.  

Edited by tetleytea

27 minutes ago, herbanrenewal said:

I find sound volume in cruise theaters to be painful. I am sure the decibel level is killing auditory nerves. I wear earplugs if its a show I want to see.

We were on Oasis recently and couldn't stand the excessively loud music all over the ship plus the screaming and yelling of the cruise director and band leader at the pool (which we could clearly hear all the way down on our balcony on Deck 8!).  I don't know if people actually enjoy the racket or if we are getting old!!!

• Like 1

I found the lighting in the theaters on the new ships to be amazing.  I would be very surprised if they didn't put some audio engineering into the theaters as well.  Sound shouldn't be an issue there.  Maybe the pools, but not the theater.

On the issue of taking food off ships, I have noticed that there is no concern in cold weather ports (Baltics, Scandinavia, etc.).  Tropical ports do have an issue since the seeds of invasive species are much more likely to grow there.  Like somebody already said, it's not like your banana seeds are going to grow in the Norwegian fjords.  The problem, of course, is that lots of folks can't be trusted to have common sense.  PS - once you've seen the price for lunch in Norway you might want to take that sandwich!!!  Two beers and a cheese plate would have set us back $80US!

Edited by Travelling2Some
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, tetleytea said:

I have taken popcorn off the cruise ship in plain view of security before.   When I drove into the Yukon from Skagway, I literally showed the Canadian border guard my apple.  Nothing.   And renting a car in Skagway is definitely a time when you might want to pack a lunch off the ship.   Drove into Quebec another time and did exactly the same thing, and again, nothing.   Only Vancouver cared.

That guy in Australia was flying in from Bali.  And I'll bet he lied on the customs declaration.

You're right about Bali man...lied or forgot. Lord knows I would forget that! 

We did try to bring bananas from one island of Hawaii to another and were not greeted kindly by the Department of Ag, so we ate a lot of bananas real quick!

Anyway, on a cruise, I did try to pack off a ham sandwich in New Brunswick. Customs made me throw it out in a normal trash can that was likely going to wind up at the local dump. 

2 minutes ago, cruiseny4life said:

We did try to bring bananas from one island of Hawaii to another and were not greeted kindly by the Department of Ag, so we ate a lot of bananas real quick!

Anyway, on a cruise, I did try to pack off a ham sandwich in New Brunswick. Customs made me throw it out in a normal trash can that was likely going to wind up at the local dump. 

Hawaiian ports are the strictest we have encountered (along with Australia and New Zealand).  We had just bought banana bread in Maui and could not take it aboard even though all our ports were contained within Hawaii (Pride of America).  You make a good point about your ham sandwich likely to end up in the local dump anyway.

20 hours ago, Z0nker said:

You are not alone. We have good friends who for years would only book interior cabins because they spent almost no time in the room.

Same here, plus we, especially DW, sleep better in total darkness.

• Like 2

Music charters have ruined me for regular cruising.  I love when all passengers have something in common, the entertainment is almost all in my wheelhouse, and there's a guarantee of things to do late night (even the charters with an older average age have programming until midnight or later).  At this point in my career, where I can afford to spend more, the extra cost is worth it.  [Especially when they offer a BOGO deal and I can get onto additional charters for crazy cheap]

1 hour ago, tetleytea said:

I'm starting to think that the way to go on Norwegian is to get an interior and then upgrade-bid on everything.  

That's pretty much what we do with a few exceptions.  If it's a cruise that we feel would benefit from a balcony AND the balconies aren't much more than inside, then we'll just start with a balcony.  OTOH, most times the balconies are about twice as much (more or less) and we're fine with an inside if that's what we wind up in.  We're just delighted to be on the cruise and our afternoon naps are better in an inside.