feel like NCL stole $500 from me in Internet fees

mandwcruise

Internet fee refund denied  

48 members have voted

1. 1. Is this a common story with NCL?

• Yes
    • No
    • Not sure, but it happens all the time on other lines
  2. 2. Am I being unreasonable in my anger?

• Yes - you need to accept that internet is unreliable on a ship
    • No - you paid for something specific and didn't receive it
  3. 3. What should I do?

• Just accept this is the way things are and continue cruising with NCL
    • Boycott NCL
    • Do something nuclear to get that refund (open to suggestions)

We went on a 10 night cruise with NCL and paid for a premium internet package (advertised as strong enough to allow "unlimited streaming"). Half the time, the Internet would not allow us to log on. When it did load, the "streaming" was non-existent. I couldn't load low-res YouTube videos, Netflix simply didn't work, and my Zoom meetings were suffering so badly I cancelled them all within minutes. Why would I pay $500 for 

The problem started when I sought a refund. NCL denied my request for a refund on the basis that:

1. their records showed no problems with the internet

Every passenger I talked to complained about the slow internet. So they're saying they never read the guest surveys? Or that the guest surveys were wrong?

2. the internet must have been working if I downloaded 17GB of data

They sold me an unlimited data plan, not a 17GB plan. How much I downloaded has no bearing on the times where the internet wasn't available. Maybe I would have downloaded 40 or 100gb if the internet wasn't trash. It's what I paid for, but did not receive.

3. I didn't complain while I was on the ship

So the policy is you can only collect refunds for things while you're on the ship, instead of resolving matters post-cruise? It's somehow the customer's fault that the Internet desk was unmanned 20+ hours a day? 

After the cruise ended, a sales rep called me to see if I wanted to book another cruise. There is another 10 night cruise I'd love to book with NCL, but there's something that rubs me the wrong way about giving thousands of dollars to a cruise line which ripped me off on the previous cruise and tried to gaslight me when I emailed customer service.

Before I take further steps, I want to hear from the CruiseCritic community if they've run into similar problems, if my reaction is legitimate, and what should I do?

I am considering going on the next cruise and screenshotting every single time i have trouble logging in or experiencing impossible download speeds to document clearly where they have failed to provide services.

• Like 1

I didn't vote on your survey because my opinions weren't stated with any of the possibilities. It seems that you needed to address the issue while onboard rather than later. Personally, I wouldn't count on any ship line's internet to be terrible reliable. I had to work with my editor while on a transpacific cruise and found that I could only work effectively early in the morning, late at night, or while most passengers were at dinner in the evening. 

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Markanddonna said:

...t I could only work effectively early in the morning, late at night, or while most passengers were at dinner in the evening. 

I had a crisis at work and spent the night in the internet café trying to resolve it. The IT person at the café told me this was the best place for Wi-Fi for us pax and late at night for the best uplink.  

• Like 2

OP, I understand what was marketed and sold to you.  In the ideal circumstances, I'm sure your internet package would have performed as advertised.  However, on all the cruise lines I have been on advertising doesn't meet reality.  What they can't control is how many people are going to be attempting to download those 17GB of data stream at the same time.  I would bet you could have watched your movie at 4:15am in all likelihood.

Just like on land, internet service doesn't always meet up to the advertised, ideal rate.

I would never, ever pay for anything but basic internet to read email or upload an occasional picture to social media.  I have these issues on all the cruise lines I have been on.

It's not fair.  It's not right.  But it's the way it is.  Life is too short. I would chalk it up to a lesson learned and move on.

• Like 3

A few things - 

"Unlimited" is time, not data.  Yes, data is a factor, but they count you based on time.

"With streaming" just means they open the ports needed for streaming services.  IS it actually faster?  Maybe, but it's the same uplink.

When were you online?  This is a factor.  As somewhat noted by another responder - if you were on during a peak time then you were sharing with 3,000 other people, it's not going to work NEARLY as well as at home.

Where the cruise was may also impact internet speed.  Some have reported unreliable connectivity during TA cruises.

• Like 6

I had a similar problem once, but resolved the situation on the ship about part-way through the cruise. I had to clearly and firmly not let it go. The cafe manager and I negotiated and came to an agreement. Unlike you, I didn't have the "big" package, so what ended up happening is I just got more free minutes. So yeah, you probably would've had better luck badgering them while on board (and that goes for just about every single problem encountered on a cruise), but if you were already busy trying to work, I can imagine you were exhausted and just wanted to enjoy your vacation.

As someone who had many "working" vacations, I can attest that it's currently not reasonable for people to expect good internet on ships at all times. Period.  That being said, if cruise lines are going to sell fast, unlimited packages, they need to be ready to deliver. I think it's smarmy of them to sell these without significant disclosures or a clear refund policy.  I think because they had the package available, you reasonably set your expectations high. That's fair. But I'd definitely warn every cruiser not to have expectations that you could easily participate in a conference call or reliably stream content. (bolded so skimmers new to cruising, or new to working while cruising, read this)

That being said, as another member mentioned, in the internet cafe in the early morning was always my best option for doing work and other than one time, I've been able to get enough basic functionality to meet deadlines. I just won't agree to participate in meetings while I'm gone because the internet is not consistently reliable enough...yet.

The cruise industry was so far behind on this. The recent news about Starlink partnerships has me hopeful (though I don't think Starlink is always reliable, based on my local area's experience...though the sea is where it should shine) . Royal Caribbean seems to be leading the pack on this one in the mass market.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

The takeaway here is that if you're having issues with something on the cruise, you need to speak up about it while you're still on the ship.  Your odds in getting it resolved or having some sort of compensation happen mostly onboard. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

Just now, raitch said:

The takeaway here is that if you're having issues with something on the cruise, you need to speak up about it while you're still on the ship.  Your odds in getting it resolved or having some sort of compensation happen mostly onboard. 

^^^^This, exactly this...regarding any issue you think needs addressing.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I am in the minority when it comes to my response that you're entitled to your anger. I also voted that you should basically just deal with and continue cruising NCL.

I completely understand your anger, but now that I've read through the internet page on NCL's website, I'm not so sure it's justified. If you just go to upgrade your package you see this:

image.thumb.png.90892c95bc93bd5df61543e2d63f5c2f.png

No details, no nothing. You should become an informed consumer when you see no details and go to other parts of NCL's website to understand the internet package. Here is what I found: 

image.png.49a447a667ed2fd4562b9ed310e065e6.png

You saw NCL's marketing of a "Premium WiFi Upgrade," got excited you could do work, and clicked purchase. Unfortunately marketing is just used to sell you an item. Since the "details" section is blank, you have no idea what you just purchased. I know what you thought you purchased - fast, reliable WiFi that would allow you to video chat, stream, etc. since you're supposedly able to do this on the premium WiFi package. 

I've learned the hard way not to believe anything NCL says and certainly not to believe what they don't say (blank details page). Yet here I am with two NCL sailings coming up between now and March. NCL does offer value to me - I'm just super careful with anything extra that I purchase. I also read all the Terms & Conditions. NCL is unscrupulous and the only purpose they obviously have is to create value for their shareholders (kind of the definition of capitalism), which they're also failing in doing. 

Next time try to get something while onboard. I'd say at this point you are out of luck. Sorry! 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, cruiseny4life said:

I am in the minority when it comes to my response that you're entitled to your anger. I also voted that you should basically just deal with and continue cruising NCL.

I completely understand your anger, but now that I've read through the internet page on NCL's website, I'm not so sure it's justified. If you just go to upgrade your package you see this:

image.thumb.png.90892c95bc93bd5df61543e2d63f5c2f.png

No details, no nothing. You should become an informed consumer when you see no details and go to other parts of NCL's website to understand the internet package. Here is what I found: 

image.png.49a447a667ed2fd4562b9ed310e065e6.png

You saw NCL's marketing of a "Premium WiFi Upgrade," got excited you could do work, and clicked purchase. Unfortunately marketing is just used to sell you an item. Since the "details" section is blank, you have no idea what you just purchased. I know what you thought you purchased - fast, reliable WiFi that would allow you to video chat, stream, etc. since you're supposedly able to do this on the premium WiFi package. 

I've learned the hard way not to believe anything NCL says and certainly not to believe what they don't say (blank details page). Yet here I am with two NCL sailings coming up between now and March. NCL does offer value to me - I'm just super careful with anything extra that I purchase. I also read all the Terms & Conditions. NCL is unscrupulous and the only purpose they obviously have is to create value for their shareholders (kind of the definition of capitalism), which they're also failing in doing. 

Next time try to get something while onboard. I'd say at this point you are out of luck. Sorry! 

I would agree with if not for the  language stating they had the firepower to support specific streaming options such as YouTube and Netflix specifically

If they didn't specifically list those sites highlighted, I could have adjusted expectations and plans...but I wasn't afforded that opportunity because I wasn't accurately informed.

image.png.2043ac19e2ce158f5e05c2ec9924aa9f.png

• Like 2

I thought it was pretty much common knowledge that a satellite uplink with 1000+ people accessing it won't be as fast as your 1GB or 5G link at home.  Reading previous threads on the subject, streaming sorta, kinda works...sometimes.  I'd never go with the streaming Internet for that reason.

I need Internet access for work.  I buy the unlimited package without streaming.  It works OK, most of the time.  Occasionally I'll need to reboot my phone etc. which is an annoyance but, again, we're not on land.

• Like 4

46 minutes ago, hallux said:

A few things - 

"Unlimited" is time, not data.  Yes, data is a factor, but they count you based on time.

"With streaming" just means they open the ports needed for streaming services.  IS it actually faster?  Maybe, but it's the same uplink.

When were you online?  This is a factor.  As somewhat noted by another responder - if you were on during a peak time then you were sharing with 3,000 other people, it's not going to work NEARLY as well as at home.

Where the cruise was may also impact internet speed.  Some have reported unreliable connectivity during TA cruises.

To answer you, I tried at all hours to make things work.

Personally, being on CC all these years (like the OP) and cruising NCL, and as an informed end user with a little bit understanding and appreciation (not really, but it is what it is with NCL high orbit, hybrid tech ... unlike Starlink or other global satellite ISP partner's) of its known limitations and bottleneck, I would NOT spent more than minimum (if at all) for a deluxe, premium, premier, upgraded unlimited package at the established price tiers ... plain & simple.  It isn't anything like, let alone close to cable broadband or "slower" Fios at home or at the office, and is much slower than 4G LTE over land tower ... DW and I now have our "5G" smartphones and trust me, the grass isn't always greener (faster) on our end of the data spectrum.  

I am sorry to read about OP's issues but not surprised nor shocked, it is to be expected, especially if one has been around here for a while and done a bit of "research" to ask around.  

Last 2 cruises, we had the basic unlimited package, upgraded at a somewhat reasonable price using non-refundable OBC, so it was "acceptable"   Once within range of land cellular tower(s) - we're doing catch up, uploading & downloading ... superior & much faster.  

While onboard & connected, we still got most things done online, at 2 Mbps d/l and under 1 Mbps u/l mostly ... 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, mandwcruise said:

To answer you, I tried at all hours to make things work.

What you are not grasping is that:

Between the ship and its connection to land based servers there is a satellite communication that is often unpredictable (including dead spots at various ocean locations). Next time you are on the ship, do a speedtest and you’ll find that the “ping” time is huge- which has little to do with the quality of the equipment onboard.

So many cruisers (actually, consumers in general), making what they consider to be expensive purchases, neglect to read the Ticket (et al.) Contracts, T&Cs, etc that clearly spell out the limitations/restrictions/specifics of what they are purchasing (as posted in another comment above) and then complain when the disappointment they get is exactly what they were warned might happen.

We do a lot of transpacific cruising and dead spots plus ultra slow pings are regular occurrences. It’s a ship in an ocean. And, as much as you might want, a cruise is not a good choice for a trip of any kind if your work relies on flawless satellite communications not associated with the actual operation of that ship.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mandwcruise said:

I would agree with if not for the  language stating they had the firepower to support specific streaming options such as YouTube and Netflix specifically

If they didn't specifically list those sites highlighted, I could have adjusted expectations and plans...but I wasn't afforded that opportunity because I wasn't accurately informed.

image.png.2043ac19e2ce158f5e05c2ec9924aa9f.png

As someone else already pointed out, I don't believe you can access those sites on the lower tiers but require special access (anyone else confirm?).  I've never tried steaming when on NCL as I usually just have the minute plan, which is slow but works for email and basic data access.  I'm betting your just get different port access via this Premium tier, but will still have the same speed as everyone else.  

Agreed also that you need to take care of this type of issue on ship.  NCL doesn't really care after the cruise.

3 hours ago, Markanddonna said:

I didn't vote on your survey because my opinions weren't stated with any of the possibilities. It seems that you needed to address the issue while onboard rather than later. Personally, I wouldn't count on any ship line's internet to be terrible reliable. I had to work with my editor while on a transpacific cruise and found that I could only work effectively early in the morning, late at night, or while most passengers were at dinner in the evening. 

This.....I have used the internet package on Carnival and Celebrity and it's the same thing....I have my first NCL cruise next year and I know what I am getting into when I get the package. I mostly use it for social media and keeping in touch with my friends and family while I am away. Out in the middle of an ocean, WiFi just isn't that great yet....it's better, but I am not sure I would rely on it for work or Netflix. 

That said, early and late when most users are not on it, was always a better time connecting I found. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, cruizergal70 said:

Wow. They charge $110 per day for internet? That's a bigger scam than drink packages.

For 4 simultaneous devices on the top tier plan.  Single device plans are $35 per day, $25 if you don't need streaming or VPN.  Price is higher on board.

Should have complained when you were onboard.  What do you expect them to do now?  How can they even verify your claim?  Maybe it was some setting on your devices?  If they give in, why wouldn’t people start claiming the same thing?

• Haha 1

OP, if you are new to cruising, here is some other useful information for you .

You have already learned that internet service can be slow and unavailable on a cruise ship depending on number of users and the ship's location. 

It is not only on the open sea where there may be dead spots for satellite coverage.  If you are cruising where the signals may be blocked by  the surrounding terrain, such as mountains, you will find any communication based on satellite feed to be unavailable. 

This means the TV in your cabin will also not be useable.

I understand you may be angry because your assumptions about internet service on the ship compared to land based service were wrong. However, chalk your experience up to learning something new and move on.

If you continue to cruise on any cruise line, on any itinerary, in the future you now have the  experience to realistically set your expectations 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

What you are not grasping is that:

Between the ship and its connection to land based servers there is a satellite communication that is often unpredictable (including dead spots at various ocean locations). Next time you are on the ship, do a speedtest and you’ll find that the “ping” time is huge- which has little to do with the quality of the equipment onboard.

We do a lot of transpacific cruising and dead spots plus ultra slow pings are regular occurrences. It’s a ship in an ocean. And, as much as you might want, a cruise is not a good choice for a trip of any kind if your work relies on flawless satellite communications not associated with the actual operation of that ship.

One of the problems with connecting using satellites between a ship and a long distance place in different places on the earth is that the distance travelled by your signal is so far that even though it is travelling at the speed of light it will typically take between 120 and 140 msecs to do each leg of the journey to go up to the satellite and back down to your target ground station depending how far you are from the point immediately below the satellite.  That means that without any equipment delays it can take the better part of between a quarter and a third of a second multiplied by two (up and down there and up and down back) for a simple ping signal on this type of link to go round and back. So a single-hop "ping time" cannot be less than between 480 msec and 560 msecs, so near enough half a second.  The other limitation on that ping is that even though the satellite is around 36,000 kms above the earth, the horizon is such that it can only see about a third of the world at best, usually more like a quarter in practice.  So for instance if for example you are sailing around Japan and the target of your ping is in Florida, you cannot communicate in one hop, so with two hops the minimum round trip ping could take more than a second!  UK to Australia is typically three hops.

So be careful how you expect a satellite internet service to work and remember that even the speed of light is finite when your internet has to go intercontinental!

• Like 1