Canadian test for covid pre cruise

Southward-Bound

8 minutes ago, Southward-Bound said:

Can anyone tell me how and where to get a pre cruise test for Canadian's on a Sunday. We will not have a car.

thanks

I would do it at home using any unopened home test and an at home Zoom Proctored call offered by a place like OnPoint Testing - They don't care where you live.  

https://onpoint-testing.com/product/certified-teleservice-covid-testing/?gclid=CjwKCAjwyryUBhBSEiwAGN5OCHNIpbqRJyWDeYQSvgqh7KwesMLm_fQm1o7f8WQCiqqUHLDDmKQJAxoC77kQAvD_BwE

32 minutes ago, Southward-Bound said:

Can anyone tell me how and where to get a pre cruise test for Canadian's on a Sunday. We will not have a car.

thanks

Might help if you tell us where you will be that day. And what day you sail.

Edited by mom says

10 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

I would do it at home using any unopened home test and an at home Zoom Proctored call offered by a place like OnPoint Testing - They don't care where you live. 

Not meaning to attack you, Jim -- since you are such a nice guy -- but ...

Why do the cruise lines and CruiseCritic members assume that everyone has the hardware and software to engage in "proctored testing" (i.e. Zoom/Skype or whatever those things are)?  Like tens of millions of other people, we have no such hardware and software -- and we don't wish to have it.  We need our money for other things.

The same thing is true about something else -- the almost universal assumption, by cruise lines and CruiseCritic members, that everyone has a smartphone and "apps."  Like tens of millins of other people, we have no such phone and app -- and we don't wish to have them.  We need our money for other things.

We would like to ask that our choices be respected -- and the respect would be shown by a cessation of the assumptions that are made.  Thus, we would ask to see the cruise line and members using conditional  statements -- and providing alternatives; for example: "If you have [such-and-such capability/equipment], then you can [do this-that-or-the-other]. Otherwise, you can [etc.]"

For a year or more, we and the many other folks like us have been treated like "third-class citizens."  We have been made to feel like the "steerage dwellers" of today's cruising world!

Edited by jg51
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Southward-Bound said:

thanks

If you are still in Canada on the Sunday,  check the Shopper’s Drug Mart website for the store closest to you that offers antigen testing. 

In our area, the first appointment is offered at 12 noon on Sundays. It may be a different time in your area.

Don’t forget that your antigen test can be taken up to 2 days before your cruise (not including your actual embarkation date).

Randy

Edited by Schmoe38

4 hours ago, jg51 said:

Not meaning to attack you, Jim -- since you are such a nice guy -- but ...

Why do the cruise lines and CruiseCritic members assume that everyone has the hardware and software to engage in "proctored testing" (i.e. Zoom/Skype or whatever those things are)?  Like tens of millions of other people, we have no such hardware and software -- and we don't wish to have it.  We need our money for other things.

The same thing is true about something else -- the almost universal assumption, by cruise lines and CruiseCritic members, that everyone has a smartphone and "apps."  Like tens of millins of other people, we have no such phone and app -- and we don't wish to have them.  We need our money for other things.

We would like to ask that our choices be respected -- and the respect would be shown by a cessation of the assumptions that are made.  Thus, we would ask to see the cruise line and members using conditional  statements -- and providing alternatives; for example: "If you have [such-and-such capability/equipment], then you can [do this-that-or-the-other]. Otherwise, you can [etc.]"

For a year or more, we and the many other folks like us have been treated like "third-class citizens."  We have been made to feel like the "steerage dwellers" of today's cruising world!

Understand your point and I will admit living in the middle of Silicon Valley most would be connected.

My assumption was that if someone is posting here they either have a computer, phone or tablet.   Most of these devices have a camera and audio.  Zoom is normally no more difficult than ordering something on Amazon which I guess all don't do either.

I respect your decision to not have such devices or desire to use technology  and will preface my future comments with a disclaimer.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

Understand your point and I will admit living in the middle of Silicon Valley most would be connected.

My assumption was that if someone is posting here they either have a computer, phone or tablet.   Most of these devices have a camera and audio.  Zoom is normally no more difficult than ordering something on Amazon which I guess all don't do either.

I respect your decision to not have such devices or desire to use technology  and will preface my future comments with a disclaimer.

Thanks.  You are very kind and fair-minded.

Yes, we have a computer, but it does not have a camera and microphone.  The same is true for people who come to CruiseCritic via simple computers at public libraries.

Edited by jg51

1 hour ago, jg51 said:

Thanks.  You are very kind and fair-minded.

Yes, we have a computer, but it does not have a camera and microphone.  The same is true for people who come to CruiseCritic via simple computers at public libraries.

Wow.  You do understand that to cruise with a Canadian port you are required to complete the ArriveCAN app?  You can do it on a computer but it requires photos to be uploaded.  Canada suggested if people do not have the technological ability to seek out someone else who does.

I use only my phone.  It meets all my needs.  To meet the testing requirement on my upcoming cruise from Iceland I will be forced to use a proctored test using my phone as I will be a few hundred km from Reykjavik- the only location for an in person test in the entire country.

• Like 1

Hello:

We are going to Fort Lauderdale. We will arrive 2 days prior so testing in Canada is not an option. We do have smart phones but are not great at all the things it can do. We are not computer illiterate but not great ether. We would like to do an inexpensive test if that is possible.A walk in or booked appointment would be best for us. I see some places are charging up to $100.00 per test.

6 hours ago, jg51 said:

We would like to ask that our choices be respected -- and the respect would be shown by a cessation of the assumptions that are made. 

Providing helpful advice assuming that one has access to modern day technology is reasonable, not disrespectful. 

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, Southward-Bound said:

Hello:

We are going to Fort Lauderdale. We will arrive 2 days prior so testing in Canada is not an option. We do have smart phones but are not great at all the things it can do. We are not computer illiterate but not great ether. We would like to do an inexpensive test if that is possible.A walk in or booked appointment would be best for us. I see some places are charging up to $100.00 per test.

Since tests for travel are now considered not essential, locally in Arizona the in person tests vary from about $70 to $128.  They are not free.

Since you have a smartphone truly suggest you or have someone else call OnPoint or Rapidtestandtrace.com.   They will talk you through exactly what you need to do.  I had never used Zoom or Microsoft Teams.   Both were downloaded at the app store for free.  Using free government tests they spent some 15 minutes walking us through a practice test.  It was new to me.  My DW had used Zoom before.  Both companies charge under $20.  There are others both Canadian and elsewhere.   The two I mentioned are reputable and not a scam.

Also a heads up that you will need to complete ArriveCAN to return to Canada.  It involves some uploading that you can do before you fly to Florida.

9 minutes ago, Southward-Bound said:

Thank you I will keep the names and call them closser to the cruise. You are a great help. I have the name Acculab also that do the test over the phone. 

Acculab is a great company.  They do a PCR test that requires about a 24 hour response time where the antigen test is minutes.

2 hours ago, Southward-Bound said:

Hello:

Check out this place on 17th in FLL , $49 

https://labdoctor.org

15 hours ago, Ex-Airbalancer said:

I find it is best to keep up with changing technology or you will left behind.  you don’t need [the] latest equipment, but it has to be useable to run the latest operating systems 

As stated twice above, "We need the money for other things."

We cannot afford both (1) cruising ... and (2) the "changing technology" and "the latest operating systems."  So we will cruise until we are "left behind" -- with no regrets.

We try to stay psychologically and spiritually strong, not giving in to societal pressures.  In other words, we don't try to "keep up with the Joneses."  So many people have forgotten that possessions (such as the latest technology/inventions) and thrills (such as cruising) are not essential in life.  One can enjoy life without them.

We will not waste money on things that we don't truly need (and travel that we can live without).  This makes it possible for us to give away some of our money to the needy, instead of to corporations that are already very wealthy.

14 hours ago, Arizona Wildcat said:

Wow.  You do understand that to cruise [to] a Canadian port you are required to complete the ArriveCAN app?  You can do it on a computer but it requires photos to be uploaded. ...

If we "can do it on a computer," then we will do it.  If we cannot, then we will not "cruise to a Canadian port."  We will not allow ports to dictate how we live our lives.

We have been to Canada, by land and sea, many times (going back to the 1960s).  We never needed to go there even the first time, so we can survive without returning -- although we do like it there.  (We live directly across one of the Great Lakes from Canada.) 

If the Canadian government officials will not make it easy for us to visit, then they, more than we, will have missed an opportunity.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, jg51 said:

If the Canadian government officials will not make it easy for us to visit, then they, more than we, will have missed an opportunity

At last ArriveCan is free. Next year ETIAS kicks in, with a fee, for travel in Europe.

4 minutes ago, travlr21 said:

At last ArriveCan is free. Next year ETIAS kicks in, with a fee, for travel in Europe.

I hope they continue using ArriveCAN, they can drop the Covid stuff, because  it is easier than filling in the stupid form on the plane , declaring how much bought etc

Edited by Ex-Airbalancer

3 minutes ago, Ex-Airbalancer said:

I hope they continue using ArriveCAN

There were a few news stories at the end of June that the Canadian government has no intention of getting rid of it,  but they are getting a lot of push back, especially from the travel industry. Time will tell.

On 7/29/2022 at 5:38 PM, gretnagirl said:

My family is going to our local Shopper's Drug Mart for the test.  $40, done by a pharmacist, results in 15-ish minutes.

I live in California and went on Shoppers Drug on Pender, Vancouver, I clicked make an appointment but then it wouldn’t take me any further? Not sure what I did Wrong. I guess I will call?

On 7/30/2022 at 10:34 AM, Southward-Bound said:

Hello:

We used Lab Doctor in February. $49. Not sure where you are staying in Fort Lauderdale, but we walked to it from the Hilton Marina.