Jim_Iain - Summit Live Post B3B Greenland / Iceland / Canada Aug 7, 19 and 31, 2022

Jim_Iain

1 hour ago, Jim_Iain said:

Check in was a bit chaotic but was on ship quickly.  

Beautiful view of Lady Liberty and City

3C69E210-EDC3-4F23-94C3-6AE79B693A06.thumb.jpeg.f9674a35490582e7098b81770414b34f.jpeg

For us the Statue of Liberty and the To the Struggle Against World Terrorism (AKA Tear Drop Memorial, Tear of Grief) is always a highlight leaving from Bayonne. 

Edited by davekathy
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

Ok Book Reading Time -    @GeorgiaPeach51 -  Joanie thanks so much for the list.

I'm reading 4 or 5 series currently -

Chris Carter -  Robert Hunter Series -   I just started #5 One by One

Jefferson Bass -  Body Farm Series -    Really get a kick out of his novels.   Based on the Body Farm at UT Knoxville.    The forensic lab and his office are very familiar to me.    My first Semester at U.T.  My dorm was in the Jock Dorm built into Neyland Football Stadium -  His office is just about where my room was. 

Joe R. Lansdale -  Hap and Leonard -  probably one of the most politically incorrect novel you will ever read - two Red Necks as they take justice into their own hands.   Keeps me in stitches.

Karen Slaughter -   Grant Country Line series.   Also Will Trent series.

Patricia Cornwell  - Andy Brazil Series

You may have read these before, but can I strongly suggest to you, and everyone, the Travis McGee novels of John D. MacDonald.  A classic series that can be revisited many times over just for the sheer poetry of the writing and description of Old Florida. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

So excited to follow a another Jim_Iain adventure! Your posts totally make my day. And Summit is a sentimental favorite for me—our first X cruise in 2002. 

Someday I hope to do a B3B. My first B2B was foiled by covid (not kicked off the ship, just locked up.)

Here’s hoping covid stays far, far away from you both. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, capecodmercury said:

You may have read these before, but can I strongly suggest to you, and everyone, the Travis McGee novels of John D. MacDonald.  A classic series that can be revisited many times over just for the sheer poetry of the writing and description of Old Florida. 

I’ve read all his books.  He also wrote Cape Fear…which has been made into a film twice.  I always thought the Travis McGee books would make a great film franchise.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, helen haywood said:

I always thought the Travis McGee books would make a great film franchise.

I think a few have been adapted but never the full series. Part of the issue to me would how to accurately convert the flow of the books to a movie.  Sometimes, for me, the actual plot takes a back seat to the mental soliloquies that frequently occur as he rhapsodizes about the changes to Florida culture or just his descriptions of the various people he meets.

53 minutes ago, GREG781 said:

Hey Jim. I see the performer, Almost Elton John will be on your sailings with you. We saw him on the Edge back in November. He is fantastic. Enjoy and have a great cruise!

Will check him out.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, bjahil47 said:

You have about 65 people watching your sail away!  Don’t forget to wave!  Bon Voyage!  

Will do.  We are on Port  deck 6 and if I recall the Cam's on Staten Island

• Like 1

Day 1 - Luminae Lunch

1543174322_Luminae-Lunch_Page_1.thumb.jpg.ba1fc5866a82e2b1d3ac59815d29a503.jpg

1543174322_Luminae-Lunch_Page_2.thumb.jpg.e1edcf33b81ad3c97952a5e4e9a30451.jpg

We had a light lunch.   Iain had the English Pea Soup and I had the Bronzino.    We both had the Pear Clafoutis.   

60B1CB30-0A7E-43E0-A9D1-F72B33CEF546.thumb.jpeg.04ecb1111c2000c9b93c0ba81cd86609.jpeg

55E05CEE-E360-4AA8-8109-0CBD0F61FCCB.thumb.jpeg.33d59367b8d7ea4a7c35a8215f1faa94.jpeg

FF98C003-A0A7-4FAD-9CD2-3ACA2CCCB4CD.thumb.jpeg.b82b7be95144e6a1d151d6728c3070ab.jpeg

Edited by Jim_Iain
  • Like 6

Ran out of "Edit" time to add my final comment:

Wow - the captain really put the petal to the metal. 5:00 pm and you just went under the Verrazzano Bridge. Took GenX an hour to reach the bridge when they departed at 4 pm and went up past the SoL first and they were going much slower.

Enjoy your evening.

Edited by MarKay525
  • Like 1

On 8/6/2022 at 9:19 AM, Beachlover1989 said:

We'll be on the Sydney to HNL with you as well in April 2024!  Would love to continue on to Vancouver, but the DH still works and doesn't want to retire yet - he says he has to pay for my cruising addiction 😁

Where do you see this TP for 2024, or are you waiting for it?  Maybe it is just me, but I will look once more.

• Like 1