Jim_Iain - Summit Live Post B3B Greenland / Iceland / Canada Aug 7, 19 and 31, 2022

Jim_Iain

On 9/11/2022 at 9:47 AM, Mr. Boston said:

Safe travels home.  What a touching remembrance at Logan. I remember it like it was yesterday.  Thanks for bringing us along on another adventure!

I was amazed when they said it was 21 years ago.

• Like 1

On 9/11/2022 at 11:27 AM, woldridge said:

It is not easy to find where they pick up. Exit the terminal and go left. The building across the street is a design center with construction going on.  You need to go around the design center building to the front of it.  From the terminal, cross the street, and go left.  Turn right on the first street, walk the short block and then turn right again You will be at the front of the design center.  There are stopping spots on the street as well as an additional driveway right in front of the building.  Our Uber driver did not know where to go.  We waited on the corner where there was a pull off.  Unfortunately, he came from the right to left, entered the driveway in front of the building, exited there and again crossed the street going left. We flagged him down and he had to go up the street and turn around. There were not signs when we were there. Hope this helps.

Barb

Thanks Barb -

You were right on.    We walked right to the corner of the port and the Design Center and our driver came right down the road in front of us an picked us up.    When she was a block away she called and when I waved she zoomed right up to us.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

You will find that many of the crew are Indonesian.   Kutut is a gem.   I mentioned that we were his first customer in Luminae being promoted from an Assistant Waiter in MDR.    His hands were shaking as he took our order.   He had to go back to the MDR for the second cruise due to a shortage but on the 3rd Cruise we specifically asked for him.

He has grown so much and is a great waiter.   Very efficient and attentive but engaging and loved joking around with us.    One night Iain ordered Ice Cream and said --- "JUST A SMALL SCOOP".     he came out with a 1" scoop --- but of course had a regular one in the back room.

Yes we have met many Indos on our cruises and I always say I am also Indo and they always look at me funny!! I tell them my mother was born in Jakarta but my Dad is mostly Irish.I will ask for Kutut when we arrive next Wed.I will let him know you spoke well of him.

• Like 1

Thank you very much!!!

We have more than enjoyed all the photos of your journey.  We have also learned new and exciting tidbits of information we can use for future cruises.  Best of luck to both of you in your future travels.  Enjoy life whatever you do.

Cheers to you..........hope to someday meet you both on a cruise.

• Like 2

On 9/8/2022 at 9:36 PM, Jim_Iain said:

Iain being British, is also very sad.   Even though from Scotland he and his family truly loved and respected Queen Elizabeth's unwavering loyalty and service to the country.

Iain must be very proud of Scotland’s wonderful response to the Queen’s death. The turn out at Balmoral for the drive to Edinburgh…St Giles…

The Queen must be looking on smiling at the love she is getting from a country she loved and felt so comfortable spending time in. The place where she could ‘hang her crown on the gate’ and just be herself.

• Like 8

2 hours ago, chemmo said:

Iain must be very proud of Scotland’s wonderful response to the Queen’s death. The turn out at Balmoral for the drive to Edinburgh…St Giles…

The Queen must be looking on smiling at the love she is getting from a country she loved and felt so comfortable spending time in. The place where she could ‘hang her crown on the gate’ and just be herself.

I confess I shed a few tears. I'm originally from Scotland, studied in Aberdeen and honeymooned in Royal Deeside. Such a wonderful way to begin her last journey.

• Like 2

On 9/11/2022 at 12:20 PM, MarKay525 said:

Jim - thank you for posting this. I think many in Boston won't fly on 9/11 if it can be avoided - we never did. Generally a somewhat somber day there.

I'll add my thanks for your fantastic thread. I've taken lots of notes in preparation for our Summit "leaf peeping" cruise next fall. Wishing you safe travels home and a most successful and uneventful surgery. Kay

So encouraging  that 9 11 is still being remembered!.  Being from the NY area, we remember it everyday...friends,  neighbors and  innocent people from all over the world lost to the forces of evil!  Never Forget!

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

Thanks for taking time from your cruise to do all these wonderful posts. They have helped me pass the time until I’m on the Summit next month. Good luck with the eye surgery—I’ve got some coming up myself. Took 4 months to get an appointment!

They eye department has really been backed up.    Took me 2 months for them to get a sugary date but now they sent me a spreadsheet with 18 appointments for all the pre and post procedures. and checkups.

22 hours ago, chemmo said:

The Scots have always loved the Queen.    I would have to say next to the Irish the Scott are the most friendliest and welcoming of people

• Like 6

I have to admit it is nice being home.   I may not have felt the same if returned last week with temps above 100 F, but have loved our temperate weather.    Day time temps are running 75 and crisp blue skies.   So nice for walking.

I must have really been worn out from all the flying.   I slept until 9:30 today, which is something I never do.

• Like 7

4 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

The Scots have always loved the Queen.    I would have to say next to the Irish the Scott are the most friendliest and welcoming of people

https://www.instagram.com/p/Cic-10Us_oc/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

Not sure if this link will work? Beautiful post about Scotland on the Royal Family's IG account.

Glad you and Iain are home safe and enjoying the weather. A bientot, Slainte!

• Like 1

I know I am terribly late to the party, but it took a while to finish all 85 pages. I echo all of the positive comments about your report, your photography, etc. But I wanted to add one thing - thank you for your smiles. They are contagious. Every time you posted a picture of yourself or Iain, I had to smile too. Iain in particular has that devilish grin. Thank you so much for spending your time on this report.  My prayers are with you for your eye surgery. Hope we sail together one day.

Linda

• Like 1

On 9/5/2022 at 6:29 PM, Jim_Iain said:

Been pretty good most of time.  1/2 day out of Halifax we lost internet  for a couple times.  Usually on both legs of the TA internet, I eland and Greenland very good and didn’t need VPN

Most of time since Boston needed vpn for Netflix and YouTube tv.  Says out of country. 

We did loose internet while passing through the Fjords in Iceland. 

At least on Summit speeds are related to room proximity to routers.  In CS we have one in our room c so good connectivity 

Jim, you mentioned you had a router in your room...was this a personal one or provided by Celebrity?  Also, do you have any recommendations on getting a VPN so we can stream our Netflix in Europe?  Thanks for any help! Jane

On 9/16/2022 at 8:45 PM, L11 said:

I know I am terribly late to the party, but it took a while to finish all 85 pages. I echo all of the positive comments about your report, your photography, etc. But I wanted to add one thing - thank you for your smiles. They are contagious. Every time you posted a picture of yourself or Iain, I had to smile too. Iain in particular has that devilish grin. Thank you so much for spending your time on this report.  My prayers are with you for your eye surgery. Hope we sail together one day.

Linda

Thanks Linda -   I agree Iain can be a real clown and is very expressive.   He reminds me so much of his Aunt Isa who use to fly over from Scotland to spend the summer with us for 20 years.   She was a real firecracker and even more expressive.   Must run in the family.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, CruiserRob said:

Jim, do you recall where you got this shirt?  I'm looking for one just like it 😁

Robert

Hi Robert -  I got it in St John's.   If I recall it was in a shop one or two streets up from Waterstreet

I think it was called Crafted Treasures - 162 Duckworth  -   If not there a store in that block.   I was just using Google Maps to see if I could  locate it.   

On 9/17/2022 at 6:27 AM, shirazcruiser said:

Jim, you mentioned you had a router in your room...was this a personal one or provided by Celebrity?  Also, do you have any recommendations on getting a VPN so we can stream our Netflix in Europe?  Thanks for any help! Jane

In  CS 1608 they had a Router Extender installed in the ceiling just over the safe area.   It looks like the flat router extenders in the hallway.    I often also bring a small travel router to use in the room so we can use multiple devices in our room.

I use both ExpressVPN and NordVPN.    It can be a bit difficult to use VPN with Roku but Firestick has both Nord and Express apps and you can log on using your credentials direct from your device.

On Summit they use a router that looks like this

image.png.4b44973427251eb985ef4a7165b38cb3.png

and a Range Extender that looks like this

image.png.7c816719b1a2e58bfc0cf20e5c543cda.png

9 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

In  CS 1608 they had a Router Extender installed in the ceiling just over the safe area.   It looks like the flat router extenders in the hallway.    I often also bring a small travel router to use in the room so we can use multiple devices in our room.

Thank you for responding.  Is there a particular travel router you would recommend?  I looked at Amazon and there are a lot to choose from.  Are they difficult to hook up?

5 hours ago, shirazcruiser said:

Thank you for responding.  Is there a particular travel router you would recommend?  I looked at Amazon and there are a lot to choose from.  Are they difficult to hook up?

I find this one to be the most reliable and easiest to setup-  Depending on you knowledge of routers can be pretty easy to setup and many YouTube Videos on how to setup.

Basically you plug it in -- from you pc or phone you connect to the router -  has a name of something like TP-Link XXX   you can change it during setup.    The default user name and pass are written on Router -- Admin   Admin.     

You log into the router and then select the Celebrity Wifi -    you then go to the celebrity logon site and log in with you credentials.    Now the router is connected to the ship.

image.thumb.png.e442b1e9ea0b613d276c78fa6b441b81.png

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Sarah1974 said:

I've just caught up and read your last couple of cruise days.  Thanks for a fabulous blog and I look forward to reading your next adventure

Thanks Sarah... yikes I should hand out award to anyone that reads the full Live Post.    It has been fun and enjoyed meeting all either on board or by conversation.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jim_Iain said:

Thanks Sarah... yikes I should hand out award to anyone that reads the full Live Post.    It has been fun and enjoyed meeting all either on board or by conversation.

On the contrary... I read your live post as well as Ken's. You are the ones that deserve rewards for sharing so much great information and pictures.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

Sorry for being absent my friend.  We just finished two weeks on Quantum of the Seas in Alaska and have been busy on the RCL boards and not hear.  

Very glad to see the two of you are having a great time, as usual, and are enjoying your B3B.