Given a new cabin-Zaandam

Burrata

Long time reader, first time poster on this forum : )

Just received an email that the cabin for my upcoming cruise has been changed from a H (lower promenade, partial ocean view) to a DA (main deck). The new cabin looks bigger? Never had a room change without asking, have sailed on NCL.  Is this an upgrade? Thanks in advance!

Since you went from an H to a DA/, considers it a free upgrade.  Likely it is at least a better location, but not always as HAL's idea of a better cabin may not jive with yours or mine.  I normally avoid "guarantee cabins" as HAL can put you just about anywhere they want (in your category or higher ranked).  As already stated, if you like your cabin, mark your reservation "do not upgrade" so HAL will not move you without talking to your first (they may still offer you a "paid upgrade" though.

16 minutes ago, Burrata said:

Long time reader, first time poster on this forum : )

Just received an email that the cabin for my upcoming cruise has been changed from a H (lower promenade, partial ocean view) to a DA (main deck). The new cabin looks bigger? Never had a room change without asking, have sailed on NCL.  Is this an upgrade? Thanks in advance!

Have sailed twice, both with a number of adjoining cabins with family members, on the Lower Promenade. We all liked it for the "biggest balcony on the ship" -- the Promenade -- just a few steps away. OTOH, there was noise from the Galley above, and that noise does come through the ceiling! Other Hs are below the Mondriaan Lounge (main theatre) or the dining room itself. While the DAs are all 'sandwiched' between cabins above and below, considered desirable for low noise.

So if you'd rather be close to the boardwalk, call quick and see if you can reverse the change. If a quiet room is more to your liking, you might mark this upgrade DO NOT CHANGE!

Look at the deck layouts.  A lot of the “H” cabins are under the kitchen or stage.  The cabins on the promenade deck are somewhat smaller.  If you have room #’s you can verify locations, if you have a guarantee you will be on a lower deck with a DA but probably a larger stateroom and a quieter location.

I was a little concerned about possible noise from the deck above with our original cabin (World Stage) but liked the fact that the promenade was close by. 

We selected our original H cabin, it was not a guarantee rate one.

Good to know that you can select "do not upgrade" as an option.

Rather torn but either way sure we will have a great cruise!

Thanks everyone for your answers!!!

1 hour ago, Burrata said:

Is this an upgrade?

In my opinion, yes, it is.  A full ocean view beats a partial ocean view.  A possible disadvantage could be the sound of footsteps from the deck above your cabin.  When I had a cabin on the Main Deck (which was an upgrade from an outside that I had booked on Dolphin Deck), I was pleased with it.  But, I did hear some footsteps from above at times.  Those did not bother me, however.  

I think you got a great upgrade, Burrata. When the lighting is just right, or wrong, promenade walkers can see into the cabins. The H cabins do not have open railings across the deck, I think, the view is limited. I would take that cabin change in a heartbeat.

We received our Zaandam guarantee cabin assignments sixteen days out. Could some cabin shuffling be due to covid quarantine shuffling?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, SilvertoGold said:

Thanks.  This sounds the way HAL used to do it.  Enjoy!

Indeed.  I had paid upgrades from my initial booking of a standard veranda cabin to a Signature Suite.  Then, 48 hours before sailing, I was provided the option of one of two Neptune Suites for a remarkable upgrade price.  However, this has been the only one paid upgrade I have been offered.  I was upgraded at no cost from one outside cabin to another that really was no biggie.  

• Like 1