Relaxation Lounge

Cheshire Blue

Am sailing on Silhouette in September (from Southampton) in a normal balcony cabin (not Concierge or Aqua).

I noticed on the deck plans a "Relaxation Lounge" at the front of the ship on deck 11.  I see this is close to the treatment rooms for the Spa. 

Question : can anyone use this lounge (and what exactly is it) or is it reserved for those having treatments at the Spa ?   

Many thanks for any insight  

Always thought that it was more intended to be used by Spa patrons waiting for their appointments to start - part of the "arrive 30 minutes before your appointment" time.

I heard that if you found yourself in there, you would not be asked to leave, but the area really wasn't for the general ship population.  I would hope that folks wouldn't just go there and 'camp' on sea days.

• Like 1

Traditionally this area is Reserved for AQ Class  guests,  and those waiting for spa treatments,...The rooms are small on most ships, 

Some spa staff keep it locked and well supervised...others  do not care , so it  gets crowded and noisy..not very relaxing at that point.  Some folks are not aware of the guidelines,  and others just do whatever they want...

Edited by hcat

18 minutes ago, Ferry_Watcher said:

Always thought that it was more intended to be used by Spa patrons waiting for their appointments to start - part of the "arrive 30 minutes before your appointment" time.

I heard that if you found yourself in there, you would not be asked to leave, but the area really wasn't for the general ship population.  I would hope that folks wouldn't just go there and 'camp' on sea days.

You are 100% correct in your assumptions and the purpose of that room. 

• Like 1

Interesting to hear about this space.  We're also planning to cruise from Southampton in August next year and will check it out.

I must admit, the only real grouch I have with Celebrity, is how more and more of the ships are being reserved for the upmarket areas stateroom people.  We make the decision that unless Concierge or Aqua come at almost the same price, we go verandah staterooms, as it allows us to make more voyages, and it seems less and less of the ship is available to us.

It seems more and more people are spending the much larger amounts for suites.  How do others feel about all this?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Larwos said:

Interesting to hear about this space.  We're also planning to cruise from Southampton in August next year and will check it out.

I must admit, the only real grouch I have with Celebrity, is how more and more of the ships are being reserved for the upmarket areas stateroom people.  We make the decision that unless Concierge or Aqua come at almost the same price, we go verandah staterooms, as it allows us to make more voyages, and it seems less and less of the ship is available to us.

It seems more and more people are spending the much larger amounts for suites.  How do others feel about all this?

All about personal choices. When we first cruised we were happy with a balcony room…We spent lots of money on excursions and cruised twice a year plus other holidays.

Move on and now the cruise ship itself is our destination. Many excursions are beyond our mobility level, we find queuing difficult and really appreciate the extra service that comes with a suite. Our holiday budget remains the same but we cruise less often but either in a RS or PH. We spend time in our suite and on our balcony, enjoy having additional facilities in our room and being able to call on the butler if we want something.

Re ‘less of the ship is available to us’…One lounge, one dining venue and on some ships a deck area…Not a lot. A bit like when booking a hotel you either book a standard room or a concierge level that gives you lounge access or when booking a flight business class gives you a lounge and bigger seat. All about offering customers choices. 

Re ‘more and more people are spending the larger amounts for suites’. I think you are partially correct. With many people having missed out on two years of holidays and having significant amounts of cruise credit they are choosing to treat themselves and give the suite life a try. I do also think that many people (ourselves included) have decided following the pandemic not to put off until tomorrow what they could enjoy today. Whilst many do say that once they have cruised suites they would not go back to standard rooms others will. They will do exactly the same calculations as you have and decide they would prefer two holidays a year in a balcony…

There is no right and wrong room choice on a cruise ship…just the right category for you at that moment in time…

• Like 7

19 hours ago, Cheshire Blue said:

Am sailing on Silhouette in September (from Southampton) in a normal balcony cabin (not Concierge or Aqua).

I noticed on the deck plans a "Relaxation Lounge" at the front of the ship on deck 11.  I see this is close to the treatment rooms for the Spa. 

Question : can anyone use this lounge (and what exactly is it) or is it reserved for those having treatments at the Spa ?   

Many thanks for any insight  

Actually, anyone can use this area.  I had thought it was reserved for certain classes but apparently not the case.  On one of our cruises, it was not relaxing as spa personnel were using the area for sales talks to small groups. As mentioned, it is also used as a waiting area for spa appointments.  

• Like 1

I always thought it was another perk of being Aqua class. I go in there all the time with a book and look at the water. A nice quiet space. But I went and looked at the Aqua class page on the website and it doesn’t mention it. I figure if I respect the quiet tone of the space, I’m okay. There is never anyone in there. 

• Like 1

Thanks for all the responses - really helpful. 

Getting back to the original question - it appears there is a difference of opinion - some believing it to be available to all (as I think is probably the case) and others who seem to think it might be "reserved" for Aqua or Spa guests.   If it were Aqua I think it would be clearly included in the Aqua benefits (Blu / Persian Garden etc) which it isn't.  Appreciate it is convenient for those having Spa treatments - but don't think that precludes anyone else from using. 

"Traditionally this area is Reserved for AQ Class  guests,  and those waiting for spa treatments,...The rooms are small on most ships, 

Some folks are not aware of the guidelines,  and others just do whatever they want..." 

Could someone point me to these "Guidelines"  - which would indicate this is a reserved area  for Aqua / Spa ?   If so,  fair enough - but otherwise it seems to be an open space for all (same as the Library). 

We were on the Reflection a few months ago, and we specifically sought out the Relaxation Lounge to ask if it was available to all guests. We were told that it is available for ALL guests, as well as guests waiting for spa treatments. Thete was no requirement to show an Aqua Class seapass card. It was a quiet, relaxing space with a great view. 

• Like 3

Just now, Samantha said:

We were on the Reflection a few months ago, and we specifically sought out the Relaxation Lounge to ask if it was available to all guests. We were told that it is available for ALL guests, as well as guests waiting for spa treatments. Thete was no requirement to show an Aqua Class seapass card. It was a quiet, relaxing space with a great view. 

Thanks for posting this - I think that settles it.   I will be checking it out on my next cruise. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Larwos said:

Just as you choose how you wish to travel, so do we.  I have no desire to get up at the crack of dawn to secure loungers by the pool and appreciate how large our suite and is and the perks that come along with it.  You do you….and we will do us.  It’s a personal choice.

I apologise if I hit a nerve with my comments.  I was just interested to understand if it is becoming more usual particularly for long term cruisers to choose to pay the extra for a suite.  I agree it is definitely a personal choice and I must admit the idea of the spaciousness of the suites, just like the comfort of Business Class is a temptation at times, but one we resist.  😊

Also, we all have different requirements from our cruising.  For us, it is the relaxation of reading a book, listening to the different music throughout the ship and having a coffee at Al Bacio.  I just love the sea.

Have  great time with your next cruise.

4 hours ago, chemmo said:

There is no right and wrong room choice on a cruise ship…just the right category for you at that moment in time…

So beautifully put, as was your explanation of your own personal choices, which to me make so much sense.

Thankyou for your insight.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Cheshire Blue said:

“Guidelines”

I think the key here is that it is a Relaxation area, and described as such on the (rather solid) door (I walked down yesterday evening to have a look). Therefore users should behave in a way that allows others to relax, rather than the opposite! 

4 hours ago, Cheshire Blue said:

Could someone point me to these "Guidelines"  - which would indicate this is a reserved area  for Aqua / Spa ?   If so,  fair enough - but otherwise it seems to be an open space for all (same as the Library). 

The 'guidelines' don't say that it's a reserved area.  They're posted on the entry door from the corridor.  Next time you're aboard, have a look.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Cheshire Blue said:

Thanks for all the responses - really helpful. 

Getting back to the original question - it appears there is a difference of opinion - some believing it to be available to all (as I think is probably the case) and others who seem to think it might be "reserved" for Aqua or Spa guests.   If it were Aqua I think it would be clearly included in the Aqua benefits (Blu / Persian Garden etc) which it isn't.  Appreciate it is convenient for those having Spa treatments - but don't think that precludes anyone else from using. 

"Traditionally this area is Reserved for AQ Class  guests,  and those waiting for spa treatments,...The rooms are small on most ships, 

Some folks are not aware of the guidelines,  and others just do whatever they want..." 

The Relaxation Area is available to ALL guests and has nothing to do with Aqua Class cabins. The primary function of this space is twofold. It's a waiting and meeting area for people that are going to have a treatment at the Spa. The second usage is a post spa treatment resting area and/or area after one uses the Thermal Suite and wants to cool down, take a light nap, etc. One doesn't need to have a treatment booked nor be using the Thermal Suite to utilize this space, BUT this is the primary purpose of this space. In other words it's not really meant as an alternative to the Solarium or Library. You shouldn't be going in there with a group to play cards or having conversations. 

Edit: This explanation applies to S-Class ships. On the E-Class ship the Relaxation area has been located more directly into the Thermal Suite/Spa area and is not available to all ship passengers unless one is having a treatment or has a thermal suite pass or Aquaclass. 

Edited by kwokpot

2 minutes ago, canderson said:

The 'guidelines' don't say that it's a reserved area.  They're posted on the entry door from the corridor.  Next time you're aboard, have a look.

I certainly will.

Assume the guidelines on the door simply refer to it being a "relaxation" area - hence a quiet zone (which is good for me read my book in peace).  Pleased to hear it's not a reserved area - so everyone can enjoy the peace and quiet (regardless as to whether they are using the Spa).     

• Like 1

8 hours ago, chemmo said:

100% agree with this... for precisely the reverse of the reasons you have outlined we have recently been taking a veranda instead of the Retreat and making Murano our MDR...

We are still mobile and are spending a lot of time off the ship and currently don't particularly value the changes in the Retreat on the revolutionized ships, for for now we are spending the money differently, but will undoubtedly return to the Retreat in the future when our priorities change.

• Like 2

Originally the relaxation area on S class was reserved for persons that had spa appointments and Aqua passengers.  And they indeed asked to see your Aqua seapass and made a note in their book of the cabin number.  In those days (we started sailing Aqua class in 2010 ), there was a desk before entering the relaxation area with usually spa personnel stationed there or hanging around  This was on several S class ships.  We noticed the desk outside the relaxation room was no longer manned regularly and nobody bothered to check seapasses anymore maybe around 4-5 years ago. 

1 hour ago, Mark_T said:

100% agree with this... for precisely the reverse of the reasons you have outlined we have recently been taking a veranda instead of the Retreat and making Murano our MDR...

We are still mobile and are spending a lot of time off the ship and currently don't particularly value the changes in the Retreat on the revolutionized ships, for for now we are spending the money differently, but will undoubtedly return to the Retreat in the future when our priorities change.

Make the most of your experiences, Mark! You will never regret it!

Whilst many older couples look back in sadness at the ‘places they were going to visit’ or ‘the things they were going to do’ but never actually did we reflect on the happiness we have enjoyed over many years of worldwide  cruising and touring. We can accept limitations to our experiences now because we have enjoyed so much…

Using Murano as your MDR is an excellent choice…Most cruises we flit between Tuscan (when there are views to enjoy) and Murano when there aren’t. What many people don’t realise is when you are a ‘regular’ in a speciality they do treat you as such…They remember your preferred table, look for nice wines within your package and in our experience even offered meals not on any menu.

• Like 2