Live from the Carnival Glory, 8/21-28/22

IslandHppy

LauraS
This post was recognized by LauraS!

"Another from IslandHppy! Thank you for generously sharing your time at sea with everyone at Cruise Critic!"

IslandHppy was awarded the badge '"Live from...."' and 5 points.

There are always a lot of reasons to not cruise.  Take a look at the checkbook balance, or the family calendar.  However, inspired by @MeganGC1983 the idea is to go anyway. 

New Orleans is our closest cruise terminal, and is still a long drive.  Airports, airplanes, lost luggage and air rage are a no.  (And day of cruise flights- eeek).  The Valor is lovely, but I am not a fan of the ports.  If fares keep going up seven day runs, a back to back on the Valor would be a plan.   Once you have been to Europe, one is forever spoiled.  I like the alternative "eastern" run- the Bahamas are nice, and the extra sea days are a plus.  Key West has a great dining spot- the Southernmost Beach Cafe, where you can pretend you are in the Bahamas 🙂  And the Key Lime pie is amazing and you can find Key Lime jelly beans which are addicting.  I was hoping the free trolley was still running. 

Inside fares were outstanding- ($190) and Carnival cleverly offers deals to past guests.  (I think "better" lines often do not - LOL).  No Ocean View cabins were available, and balcony fare were crazy.  I like a "retirees and tropical storm season" vibe aboard.  Schools in New Orleans were back in session as far as I could tell.  

I booked a "to be assigned" inside as the porthole ones were not available.  DW knits and a couch/side chair is a big feature for her.  We have never had an inside cabin, and that fact gnawed on me a little.  Looking out the window reminds me, even in calm weather, that I am at sea 🙂   Our cabin was assigned quickly as we were a few weeks from departure. 

The email offers kept arriving and a few days later some OV cabins appeared at $509.  I called in - they were unable to book that fare - "it gave an error" - only a $549 fare was available.  I said why not.  The next day my account said "your fare includes Cheers"- RU1.  We drink sparingly if at all- but this is apparently a plan to encourage purchase of the packages.  This is an example of "Artificial Intelligence" - i.e. someone programmed it.  

Edited by IslandHppy
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Thanks, Jimbo.  The idea when you are retired is you have more time and less money.  So off peak travel dates are a yes.  Access to amazing corporate car rental and hotel rates not so much.  

Driving to the port a few days is simplified by AARP hotel rates and the new apps. We picked IHG as we love Indigo properties or Holiday Inn Express in emergencies.  The Express has the entertaining pancake machines.  The Indigo is generally found to have a quirky local chef.  

The IHG app lets you find and book their hotels by location- but it defaults to "best available" aka $4 more than AARP rates- grrr.

One thing if you drive a hybrid car - gas stops for ours are every 550 miles so you need to invent reasons to pull over to stop.    

20220817_184205-01.jpeg

20220818_070924-01.jpeg

20220818_085320-01.jpeg

Edited by IslandHppy
  • Like 3

Fascinated by the pancake machine.  In our many nights at hotels, we have never come across one.

Our first multi-generational cruise was on Glory in March 2019.  Like you, driving to port is our preference, and we do love New Orleans.  

Looking forward to reading more about your adventure.

Following along bc I’m interested in all things Glory! My 3 sisters and all the husbands are sailing Sept 11. Although my husband and I have cruised many times in the past it’s first time cruisers x4 and second time cruisers x2 in our group. This is our first time cruising from NOLA and first time on the Glory.  

Edited by Cyndeeday
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, IslandHppy said:

One thing if you drive a hybrid car - gas stops for ours are every 550 miles so you need to invent reasons to pull over to stop.    

20220818_085320-01.jpeg

Shoot. My big SUV can do that - coasting downhill. 🙃

• Haha 2

45 minutes ago, MeganGC1983 said:

Wahoo!! Go for it! Definitely following along. Hope you have the best time. 

Your voice was in my head "book the back to back" - not this time.  And the idea on Bimini- yep.  And skipping the inside cabin.  Your next trip is pricey- you may be more popular than the Brand Ambassador.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

If I understand correctly you got the drink package thrown in for $40 extra pp? I'm sure they hit you with the beverage gratuity charge. I may be stating the obvious but it includes most beverages. Juice, Soda, Specialty Coffee, Tea, Shakes, Virgin Daiquiris, Bottled Water... Score!!!

Will be sailing on her soon. I'm looking forward to following along as well. Appreciate your time & consideration in doing this. 🙂

15 hours ago, cleanandsober88 said:

If I understand correctly you got the drink package thrown in for $40 extra pp? I'm sure they hit you with the beverage gratuity charge.   

Experts were consulted on this.  I hope not.  We did make it to Memphis, which is an easy drive to the port.  The Indigo is quirky and fun.  It is an updated  Holiday Inn Motel.  We walked a few blocks to the Peabody Hotel- nicely maintained and has a duck fountain and a shop Elvis used to use for his outfits.  Downtown is tidy but deserted.  It needs apartments made from old office buildings.    

20220819_082107-01.jpeg

20220818_190631-01-01.jpeg

20220819_081951-01.jpeg

20220819_081823-01.jpeg

• Like 3

22 hours ago, IslandHppy said:

Your voice was in my head "book the back to back" - not this time.  And the idea on Bimini- yep.  And skipping the inside cabin.  Your next trip is pricey- you may be more popular than the Brand Ambassador.  

I mean, it’s good, sound advice. 😉

Edited by MeganGC1983
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, IslandHppy said:

Experts were consulted on this.  I hope not.  We did make it to Memphis, which is an easy drive to the port.  The Indigo is quirky and fun.  It is an updated  Holiday Inn Motel.  We walked a few blocks to the Peabody Hotel- nicely maintained and has a duck fountain and a shop Elvis used to use for his outfits.  Downtown is tidy but deserted.  It needs apartments made from old office buildings.    

20220819_082107-01.jpeg

20220818_190631-01-01.jpeg

20220819_081951-01.jpeg

20220819_081823-01.jpeg

You need to go to Beale St. this evening. It starts getting lively about 6pm. Street performers, great food, live music. Hattie B’s has fantastic chicken. 

• Like 2

I'm looking forward to following your cruise. We start our cruising season with a cruise on the Glory in September and were last on the Glory in April - so we will be interested in the current Glory vibe.

We have always found the crews on the Glory to be wonderful and helpful folks (except for the customer service desk folks who, as with any folks in such a job, hate to see you coming - I feel for those guys). I think you are in for a great time.

6 hours ago, MeganGC1983 said:

You need to go to Beale St. this evening. It starts getting lively about 6pm. Street performers, great food, live music. Hattie B’s has fantastic chicken. 

Good advice.  We did visit Beale Street last time.  This time, on the way to a cruise, I wanted to wake up close to the port.  DW was not up for fried food or the to go bar scene.  So we randomly walked a few blocks down St Charles and found Napa Meets Garden District.  Crawfish are on the menu tomorrow.  And the eMed tests.  

20220819_192513.jpg

20220819_185933-01.jpeg

20220819_192053-01.jpeg

• Like 2

We had booked an offer with Cheers which only cost us $40 more for the cruise, My husband doesn’t  drink at all but he had the specialty coffees and soda. I had some frozen cocktails, wine and the specialty coffees. It was very convenient. We did not have to access the free drinks at the Lido. This was last January and Covid was a big concern. It is very convenient.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, icft said:

We have always found the crews on the Glory to be wonderful and helpful folks (except for the customer service desk folks who, as with any folks in such a job, hate to see you coming - I feel for those guys). I think you are in for a great time.

Hopefully there is a competition between ships on the highest guest satisfaction scores 🙂 Everyone wins in that case.

The new Indigo French Quarter did not disappoint for breakfast.  We took the historic St Charles streetcar $1.25 or $3.00 for a day pass and found a lovely coffee shop- Gracious.  Then a mandatory stop at the Quarter Stitch for high end yarn.  The hunt for crawfish + grits and Gator French Toast took us to Evangeline.  The Quarter Stitch crew liked Napoleon House.  

20220820_102147-01.jpeg

20220820_135425-01.jpeg

20220820_140735-01.jpeg

20220820_143721-01.jpeg

20220820_143719-01.jpeg

• Like 3

So in what might be a record we reached the parking garage entrance at 11:45 for our 12:00 and were in our deck chairs at 12:10.  We stood in exactly zero lines.  The Port of New Orleans has done this work before it seems.   This was in Steerage- no VIP lines for us.  One minor puzzle/ computer error- we are ATM three nights from Gold - our boarding passes say Gold.  

The waffles at the Indigo were several nautical miles past decadent.

20220821_121322-01.jpeg

20220821_100749.jpg

20220821_082009-01.jpeg

Edited by IslandHppy
  • Like 5