Arvia fires

majortom10

I see that it has been reported that there have been 2 fires on Arvia in the shipyard while being built. Fires were 2 weeks ago one fire in a rubbish bin and one in a cabin. A security guard was hospitalized with smoke inhalation and has caused 60000 euros in damage. The shipyard say it will not delay the delivery of the ship and the police are investigating and arson has not been ruled out.

7 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

Blinkin' 'eck.  Maybe someone doesn't like the big ships?

If it is arson I dont think size of ship has anything to do with it. Arsonists will set fire to small ships just as easy, more likely they dont like the British.

10 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

If it is arson I dont think size of ship has anything to do with it. Arsonists will set fire to small ships just as easy, more likely they dont like the British.

It was tongue in cheek!!  It's one of the ugliest vessels I have seen, althoough there are others.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, jeanlyon said:

It was tongue in cheek!!  It's one of the ugliest vessels I have seen, althoough there are others.

Perhaps it was tongue in cheek with a very heavy personal bias. If you think Arvia is ugliest ship you obviously havent seen latest Celebrity ships or Virgin.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, majortom10 said:

Perhaps it was tongue in cheek with a very heavy personal bias. If you think Arvia is ugliest ship you obviously havent seen latest Celebrity ships or Virgin.

Err, yes I have.  They are awful too.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

The Celebrity ships are stunning inside though.

We went on one Celebrity cruise (Eclipse) a few years ago, and thoroughly disliked the interior design - a triumph of style over substance (eg lots of ghastly chrome and uncomfortable (but stylish) chairs in the high up forward facing bar, the name of which escapes me). Also disliked the cabin wardrobe which was small and cramped with sliding doors). Not a moaner, but not impressed. Have things improved, or am I simply not stylish?

1 hour ago, AnnieC said:

We went on one Celebrity cruise (Eclipse) a few years ago, and thoroughly disliked the interior design - a triumph of style over substance (eg lots of ghastly chrome and uncomfortable (but stylish) chairs in the high up forward facing bar, the name of which escapes me). Also disliked the cabin wardrobe which was small and cramped with sliding doors). Not a moaner, but not impressed. Have things improved, or am I simply not stylish?

Agree the front bar is not good, usually used for quizzes. But the tree is great and some of the interior bars are great. Outside decks are also good. Not been on the larger recent ships. 

6 hours ago, jeanlyon said:

I quite like it Jean, it looks more like a cruise ship than the Grand Princess class (Azura and Ventura), and a bit like Arcadia.

• Like 1

The Virgin Voyages ships are truly ugly looking ships... No amount of money would get me on one of those ships.......

I`m a huge fan of Britannia and think that she is a very good looking ship - Well Britannia and the Princess Cruises "Royal Class" fleet....

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

I quite like it Jean, it looks more like a cruise ship than the Grand Princess class (Azura and Ventura), and a bit like Arcadia.

9 minutes ago, cruisefan2012 said:

The Virgin Voyages ships are truly ugly looking ships... No amount of money would get me on one of those ships.......

I`m a huge fan of Britannia and think that she is a very good looking ship - Well Britannia and the Princess Cruises "Royal Class" fleet....

At least there are decent balconies. Grand class have the best balconies but Royal class are really small especially Britannia, Princess ones have the bump in the middle. 

Really shocking if it was arson. It’s not the prettiest ship but I slightly prefer it to the bland crustiness of most of the Fred Olsen ships or the tackiness of the Virgin cruise ships. Visually at least: they might be absolutely lovely inside.

12 hours ago, Gettingwarmer said:

At least there are decent balconies. Grand class have the best balconies but Royal class are really small especially Britannia, Princess ones have the bump in the middle. 

The two favourites of mine are the Indy and the Britannia. The former is probably number 1 as we have been on her more and love the entertainment AND THE SPRINKLIES!!!

55 minutes ago, Yorkypete said:

The two favourites of mine are the Indy and the Britannia. The former is probably number 1 as we have been on her more and love the entertainment AND THE SPRINKLIES!!!

based on the title of this thread, shouldn't that be sprinklers?

• Haha 4

Guess I just don't like the big ships which is obvious.  We started on really small ones and I liked Adonia.  The new Fred ones do at least look like ships, not huge apartment blocks.  I mean, nobody can say Azura is attractive?

https://www.cruisemapper.com/ships/Azura-741

Bolette is a proper ship  https://www.fredolsencruises.com/our-ships/bolette-cruises

Edited by jeanlyon
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

40 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

Guess I just don't like the big ships which is obvious.  We started on really small ones and I liked Adonia.  The new Fred ones do at least look like ships, not huge apartment blocks.  I mean, nobody can say Azura is attractive?

https://www.cruisemapper.com/ships/Azura-741

Bolette is a proper ship  https://www.fredolsencruises.com/our-ships/bolette-cruises

But that has nothing to do with the thread. Fires on ships whilst being built whether arson or not and whatever the size is horrendous and upsetting especially for those hoping to cruise on her when she is delivered. 

What has a picture of Azura and one of Bolette which in your opinion only is a proper ship got to do with the thread about fires on Arvia. Fortunately we are all different and have differing views.

Edited by majortom10
  • Like 5

7 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

But that has nothing to do with the thread. Fires on ships whilst being built whether arson or not and whatever the size is horrendous and upsetting especially for those hoping to cruise on her when she is delivered. 

What has a picture of Azura and one of Bolette which in your opinion only is a proper ship got to do with the thread about fires on Arvia. Fortunately we are all different and have differing views.

The thread had already drifted well off course before Jean posted the photo link...

• Like 4

1 minute ago, kalos said:

We like Azura !   (as well as other ships )

Yes we did Azura Maiden and have since sailed on her 4 times and had fantastic cruises albeit the last one a few years ago. I really dont get the regular statements on many forums about ugly ships and the common one used "it is like a block of flats". Majority of my cruise I am on the ship and dont care what she looks like just the facilities onboard and once in port I am interested in the port and dont spend my time staring at the ship. The ship that we didnt like at all of the ones we have sailed on was Oriana even though  many liked her, we are all different and have differing views thankfully.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

Yes we did Azura Maiden and have since sailed on her 4 times and had fantastic cruises albeit the last one a few years ago. I really dont get the regular statements on many forums about ugly ships and the common one used "it is like a block of flats". Majority of my cruise I am on the ship and dont care what she looks like just the facilities onboard and once in port I am interested in the port and dont spend my time staring at the ship. The ship that we didnt like at all of the ones we have sailed on was Oriana even though  many liked her, we are all different and have differing views thankfully.

Yep true we all have different views ,some of the ships I have sailed on such as the Destiny ,

were described as "rust buckets " by some . We enjoyed the ship. I even liked the Boudica

a bit, but the ships for us were the Grand Class ships. Would be boring if we were all the same.

Anyway as you say this thread is about fire . My Mrs had to dial 999 for the fire brigade to a fire opposite our hotel .

As it was not on the new ship that story will keep for another thread /day .

Edited by kalos

23 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

Whilst I agree that the interiors are generally more important, some of us started cruising on Ocean Liners and for me, the exterior look is important too. To my eye, Oriana and Aurora are particularly pleasing aesthetically. The Grand Class ships (inc Ventura & Azura) I find ugly, especially the snub aft.

The Royal Class (Britannia), whilst not to my taste, I felt were a definite improvement on the Grand Class. I think the Excel Class (Iona & Arvia) are a step back, again especially the aft profile. They are however more pleasing to my eye than most of the other new megaships from the likes of NCL, MSC, Celebrity and Virgin.

• Like 3

On 8/21/2022 at 12:27 PM, crompton21 said:

based on the title of this thread, shouldn't that be sprinklers?

For a laugh i looked up to see if there is a word Sprinklies and there is, it means 'when part of the body goes to sleep. like maybe a foot or leg. 😁