Nieuw Amsterdam B2B for a First Time Cruiser 8/28 - Help!

Ferry_Watcher

A friend is going on a B2B cruise on the Nieuw Amsterdam  leaving Vancouver 8/28.  First week NB, Vancouver to Whittier, then 9/4 SB Whittier to Vancouver arriving 9/11.  She will be in a Verandah Stateroom.

This will be her very first cruise ever, and traveling on her own, so I am trying to get some information/insight to help her.  She loves music, and the music venues on the NA sold her on this ship and cruise.  Any must see/experiences in these venues?

Budget is a concern, and she will not have a beverage package.  Do they still have the 50% off Happy Hour?  If so, which bars, and what times (both pre-dinner and later in the evening?).

Do they have the cooking demonstrations on the NA?

It's unlikely that she will use the pool or hot tub, but she might consider the Hydro Pool.  I am guessing that to use it, one either needs to buy a spa day/week pass, am I correct?  Any idea what the cost might be?  Are there saunas or steam rooms free to use in the women's locker room?  

In addition to the Crow's Nest and Exploration Cafe, any other good places to hang out to read, or do her puzzles or sudoku?  There no library on board, correct?

Any other suggestions or insights?

Thank you my friends!

Yes, they still have Happy Hours. Which bars and when varies by route...I can't answer for Alaska. But expect 2 or 3 bars...maybe at the same time, or a little more diverse, like two bars at 4pm, and one at 8pm.

There are lots of places to hang out...it all depends on your needs. We tend to hang out at Lido pool, midship, but others like Crow's Nest. There is no one place...people just seem to find what works for them.

Thanks, my friend.  I told my friend about this cruise, and this I feel a bit responsible for making it a special experience (even though I won't be sailing with her)..  Whatever info I can share with her will just make it all the more better.

Happy hour, if I recall correctly starts on day 2 and it's buy one get 1/2 off second.  

Puzzles are available on NA, and I could be mixing up my ships but they are out in the library or Crow's Nest.

The last time I was on NA, they did have cooking demos.

There are plenty of places to go and read during the day.  I suggest Crow's Nest or one of the bars that are closed.  They have very comfortable seating.  Also, if the weather is cooperative, she should sit on the Promenade deck to read and observe and perhaps meet other people.  

I can't remember if they have hydropool on NA.

She should go to the Captain's talk on the Main Stage.  I go to all of the Main Stage shows except the one's for selling port excursions. 

She should walk the entire ship and look at all of the art that is onboard.  I'm not talking about the pitch to sell art.  

Trivia contest everyday in the Crow's Nest can be fun just to go up, grab a seat and listen.  It's another great way to just start chatting with people.  

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, AKJonesy said:

She should walk the entire ship and look at all of the art that is onboard.  I'm not talking about the pitch to sell art.  

Trivia contest everyday in the Crow's Nest can be fun just to go up, grab a seat and listen.  It's another great way to just start chatting with people.  

Both great ideas!  I can see her doing both those activities.   Thank you @AKJonesy

Nieuw Amsterdam is a great ship, she will be just fine, I would tell her not to sweat the small stuff, just go with the flow and have a great time.  People are all so nice on cruises, she'll make alot of friends.....and not to miss the burgers and fries at Dive In...........so good.

• Like 1

The hydro pool on the NA is super-nice, but you need to pay for the spa pass (can be bought online for the whole week), or day-rate subject to availability once onboard. A passenger reported that on a different ship the spa did not honor the 2nd 7-day pass she bought online for the B2B, so I would be cautious about buying two spa passes for the B2B. 

• Tamarind restaurant - Highly recommended, but will cost extra. Maybe worth a splurge at least once on a B2B
  • For Alaska, crew may serve her pea soup if she's outside by the promenade deck on Glacier Bay day
  • Not sure if HAL still have cooking demos on 7-day cruises (which is what the B2B are)
  • Crow's Nest is a great hangout spot, but can get crowded on sea days and during happy hours.
  • Depending on her physical shape, highly recommend going out to deck 10 and 11 to view Alaska if weather permits

Not sure if HAL offers this, but on Princess B2B with turnaround in Whittier, we took an excursion to Anchorage with stops at wildlife sanctuary and Alyeska resort.  In Anchorage we were dropped at a convention center with time to wander around, shop, have lunch.  Then bussed back to Whittier.  Good narration on the bus.  EM

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Essiesmom said:

...took an excursion to Anchorage with stops at wildlife sanctuary and Alyeska resort...

I can vouch for the wildlife sanctuary! It is a great way to see some of the animals you would see if you went into the interior of Alaska, like Palmer (MuskOx) and Denali (moose, bear, etc).

The convention center is quite central to cute shops and places to eat.

On 8/25/2022 at 9:34 AM, Ferry_Watcher said:

Final ask for Nieuw Amsterdam insights, tips, must do's, suggestions for a 1st time cruiser who is sailing on an Alaska B2B this Sunday.  I am trying give my friend as much info as I can.

Any and all help would be appreciated.

Thank you!

Don't have any input for NA, but we will be on the second part of your friends cruise. We are doing the Denali land tour prior to getting on NA in Whittier on Sept. 4th. We have cruised on HAL before but that was way back in 2015. I love the Crow's Nest even though it can get crowded. I love the view and it's cozy. We've spotted whales from that vantage point. I'm jealous that she will do this cruise twice. 

Whatever she does, she will love it.

• Like 1