Late night snack menu?

zhuangcorp

16 hours ago, Crew News said:

Roped-off only near the conclusion of lunch every day from April 22 - May 4 while I was onboard the Zuiderdam.  Crew and authorized staff were picking up lunch and heading to "Crew Only" area at the forward end of the Lido Market. First time I had seen this on any of my previous cruises.

Interesting, because we were on the Zuiderdam sailing just before yours in April, and I don't remember that area ever being roped off.

6 hours ago, Euby said:

Darn it...  Now, I'm hungry.  Seriously though, I may need to be making my evenings last trip back to my cabin via the Lido on future cruises.

If that last trip is between 10:30-11:30pm, a perfect idea!

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, KroozNut said:

Interesting, because we were on the Zuiderdam sailing just before yours in April, and I don't remember that area ever being roped off.

They also opened the Taco Bar so must have had a crew change.

22 hours ago, zhuangcorp said:

Wow, there is a hidden staff food location?

I'm surprised there haven't been cases of guests sneaking into the staff food locations and eating with the staff. 

I once took a ‘cruise’ on a commercial ship that doubled as an oceanographic research vessel.  The cruise started in Reunion, off the east coast of Africa, and ended in Surabaya, Indonesia.  There was a pretty strong class system on board that was reflected in the dining arrangements and is somewhat reminiscent of what you see on cruise ships.

The scientists and the upper level officers ate together in the main dining room and we ate French food.  The higher level staff, bridge and engineers, all white, ate in the same main dining room, but in a separated area, and with the same menu.  These two groups did not mingle.  The lower level staff, all black African, ate in a separate dining area and ate African food.

I made a request to try the African menu in the African staff dining area.  This was unprecedented and required several days advance notice.  In the end myself and one other scientist were seated at a head table facing all the African staff.  I just wanted to eat in the African staff dining room without commotion, but it was not to be.

On modern cruise ships, guests are not permitted in staff areas and an attempt to sneak into the staff dining area would not be favorably looked on.  But it seems to me that there is a class system that is just as rigid as what I observed on the scientific cruise.  The one difference I have observed in my 25 years of cruising is that the various classes of staff are more racially mixed than a quarter century ago.

• Like 1

@tcc8v, I think on cruise ships, and perhaps on the vessel you describe, the separation and different foods is also about "off duty relaxed" mentality, plus the serving of foods that the crew of different nationality like and eat regularly is a crew happiness issue.

This brings up the common question asked around cruising...does the crew eat pax food, or eat the leftovers the pax don't eat. Well, many crew that are of different ethnic or religious backgrounds don't want to eat the food that the pax eat.

On 8/22/2022 at 1:26 PM, CruiserBruce said:

Depends on their job. Some staff are allowed to eat at the Lido for all meals...officers, entertainers, spa and gym staff, for example. Other crew can only eat the staff food locations. All crew get breaks for eating during their shifts.

The crew mess (eating area) serves a lot of food related to the nationalities and favorite foods of those nationalities, so many crew are happy to eat in their mess. I heard once that the crew mess goes through 10x the rice the passengers do on a daily basis.

yep. that's how we get Indian food in the MDR.  Chefs' choice probably what a lot of the Indian crew are eating

47 minutes ago, Overhead Fred said:

I think the NY Deli on Pinnacle class ships have (or used to have) a late night snack menu. It always sounded good but I was always too full from our 8pm fixed dining to give it a try!

I hope this is available for our next NA sailing in March, sounds really good!

Can anyone who has sailed recently on a Pinnacle or Signature Class ship confirm or deny?

I remember a number of years ago, chatting with the shopping guy, shirt of a pseudo officer…. He said he could eat in the buffet, but there were limits as to what he could have.  For instance, he would need another half stripe to have sushi…

We did the Behind the Fun tour on Carnival Glory, and there were at least two crew mess areas, and they rotated the days they had Indian, Filipino, Indonesian food.  There was also an officers mess, and new dining room staff were trained there before going to other areas of the ship.  EM

1 hour ago, Crew News said:

It is open until midnight but on movie nights some additional items are added.  NY Deli & Pizza Menu

We're on Nieuw Amsterdam (Signature Class) next March, which has only the NY Pizza venue without the Deli. I hope it also has some sort of late night menu similar to the one you posted  for the Pinnacle Class ships.

2 minutes ago, KroozNut said:

We're on Nieuw Amsterdam (Signature Class) next March, which has only the NY Pizza venue without the Deli. I hope it also has some sort of late night menu similar to the one you posted  for the Pinnacle Class ships.

I don't believe it does - only the Pinnacle Class.  There's no "need" on the other ships, as it was intended for snacks while watching a movie on the big screen.  Signature class ships don't have the big screen or movies at the Lido pool.

Sue/WDW1972

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, wdw1972 said:

I don't believe it does - only the Pinnacle Class.  There's no "need" on the other ships, as it was intended for snacks while watching a movie on the big screen.  Signature class ships don't have the big screen or movies at the Lido pool.

Sue/WDW1972

😞

2 hours ago, KroozNut said:

I hope this is available for our next NA sailing in March, sounds really good!

Can anyone who has sailed recently on a Pinnacle or Signature Class ship confirm or deny?

We’ve sailed on the koningsdam and the N. statendam in the last year.
I know the N. Statendam had it for sure. Pretzels (various flavours), chicken wings, sliders, popcorn! As well as the usually pizza. 

I don’t recall if it was available on the KO but it should be. 

1 hour ago, KroozNut said:

The NA has NY Deli & Pizza (no sandwiches) available by the Deck 9 aft Lido pool until at least 11:00 PM from my experience last January.

• Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, *Miss G* said:

Has anyone tried the Tamarind Bento Boxes?  @Crew News, I see you have the menu on YOUR SITE.  It’s a bit confusing so I am wondering if you choose only Earth, Water, or Fire or if you pick one item from each of the elements?  

280484C7-7DE1-4DFB-AD9C-11F4582BBE6D.thumb.jpeg.f522527157824fb7b0c3e112ad028ac0.jpeg

I know of only one person who purchased this back in 2019 and they waited more than two hours for it to be delivered. 

With the new Tamarind addition to the Room Service menu, this may no longer be available.  i will note this on my website.

• Thanks 2

3 hours ago, *Miss G* said:

Has anyone tried the Tamarind Bento Boxes?  @Crew News, I see you have the menu on YOUR SITE.  It’s a bit confusing so I am wondering if you choose only Earth, Water, or Fire or if you pick one item from each of the elements?  

I see ""Enjoy Tamarind's earth, water or fire options..." For that price I would order an Earth and a Fire, and split items with my husband!

I hope this is available on my upcoming K'dam cruises.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, crystalspin said:

I see ""Enjoy Tamarind's earth, water or fire options..." For that price I would order an Earth and a Fire, and split items with my husband!

As a fellow technical writer (and product realization developer), I understand your thinking.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, crystalspin said:

Thank you.  It just seemed like a lot of food per element.  I mean “Water”, alone, has 9 rolls more than I can eat!  They must be tiny.  I will be on K’dam in less than two weeks so I’ll let you know.  👍

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, crystalspin said:

I knew there was something about you I wanted to love!

Off topic.....Your kindred spirit is noted.  "So it is written (IAW Chicago Manual of Style of course), so shall it be done," I always say.  If great ideas and processes cannot be documented in a manner understandable by those who provide funding or manage, nothing happens.

This is the same concept for HAL menu management.  A visit to any kitchen will see written rules, recipes, plating photos posted to ensure uniformity. 

Edited by Crew News
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, *Miss G* said:

Thank you.  It just seemed like a lot of food per element.  I mean “Water”, alone, has 9 rolls more than I can eat!  They must be tiny.  I will be on K’dam in less than two weeks so I’ll let you know.  👍

My assumption is the 3 denotes the amount of pieces/slices, as nigiri is pieces rather than a roll. It’s still a good amount of food for the price I think.