Bottle of blackcurrant

jazzmanfive

Hi everyone

Anyone know if it is allowed to bring a bottle of Ribena (blackcurrant) onboard?

On a British Isles cruise soon and do enjoy a bit of currant with my cider, also in my Guiness. (Princess Emerald)

I have the drink package but always struggle on boats to find a mixer, same when you want a shot of lime juice always end up with a slice of lime.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Jazzman

33 minutes ago, jazzmanfive said:

Hi everyone

Anyone know if it is allowed to bring a bottle of Ribena (blackcurrant) onboard?

On a British Isles cruise soon and do enjoy a bit of currant with my cider, also in my Guiness. (Princess Emerald)

I have the drink package but always struggle on boats to find a mixer, same when you want a shot of lime juice always end up with a slice of lime.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Jazzman

The content shouldn't pose a problem, but the packaging might.  Princess allows cans of non-alcoholic beverages to be brought on board.  It disallows bottles because there is too much chance for the contents of these to be poured out and have alcohol placed in the bottle in its stead.  In looking at pictures of Ribena on the internet (I am not familiar with it), I would guess that this is exactly the type of packaging that would cause rejection by the security people.  Is this (or any similar product) sold in cans?  The exact wording in the Passage Contract states:

• Guests are also prohibited from bringing water, sodas and other non-alcoholic beverages on board that are packaged in bottles. A small quantity of non-alcoholic beverages (i.e., sparkling water, sodas, juice, milk) packaged in cans or cartons may be brought on board on embarkation day, only if carried on in Guests’ hand luggage (not in checked luggage). A small quantity is considered a maximum of 12 sealed, unopened cans/cartons of 12 ounces each or less per person.  Guests will be asked to discard open beverages in plastic containers prior to boarding.

• Like 2

Thanks for the reply.

Looks like i will be out of luck on this one, do not think that they sell concentrated blackcurrent in cartons (only small already diluted fizzy version). Shame really as blackcurrent is a popular mixer in the UK. (Every pub will carry it as standard as they will lime juice)

Cruise ships in general are out of touch with current popular drinks i.e. fruit ciders, craft beer, flavored gins and vodka, etc. but hey ho maybe one day?

At least i can pop in to Wetherspoons in most parts of the UK and obtain my drink of choice (Guiness and black) along the way.

Cheers!😇

Jazz

56 minutes ago, jazzmanfive said:

Thanks for the reply.

Looks like i will be out of luck on this one, do not think that they sell concentrated blackcurrent in cartons (only small already diluted fizzy version). Shame really as blackcurrent is a popular mixer in the UK. (Every pub will carry it as standard as they will lime juice)

Cruise ships in general are out of touch with current popular drinks i.e. fruit ciders, craft beer, flavored gins and vodka, etc. but hey ho maybe one day?

At least i can pop in to Wetherspoons in most parts of the UK and obtain my drink of choice (Guiness and black) along the way.

Cheers!😇

Jazz

Don't give up yet.  I just checked Amazon and there are a number of companies that sell dried black currant powder sold in pouches.  You just add your own water to turn it into a mixer.  Just do a search for "black currant concentrate powder" and you'll see several choices.  I apologize if this is something completely different, but it may be worth a look for you.  

11 minutes ago, skynight said:

Maybe you can just pour into a refillable water bottle.

Security would make you pour it out before you even get to the x-ray machine.

Happened to me (pre-pause) in San Pedro. I had a water bottle with one of those drink packets mixed in that I had been sipping while waiting for the passport checkers to get started. Got passports/paperwork checked, walked over to the security line and was told to dump my drink.

Interestingly, when returning from shore after a port stop, I usually have a bottle of water w/drink mix and no one says a thing as I go through security.

Maybe bring the black currant on the ship at the first port stop?

1 hour ago, JF - retired RRT said:

I was thinking the same thing.  A bottle tucked in a bag of other groceries might very well go unnoticed at the port security table.  

Up until only a few years ago blackcurrant was actually illegal in the US (it can carry diseases that dangerous to native pine species, although resistant varieties are now available) and may still be illegal in some states.  

Edited by Vexorg

17 hours ago, suzyed said:

Found this, so it does come in cartons, but don't know where you would purchase it?

https://www.ribena.co.uk/product/ribena/ribena-carton/blackcurrant-carton/ribena-blackcurrant-carton-multipack/469/

Hi

This is available in most supermarkets but is a pre mixed juice drink with water added.

I am after a concentrated blackcurrant that can be added to an alchoholic drink.

Thanks for the thought.

6 hours ago, jazzmanfive said:

Hi

This is available in most supermarkets but is a pre mixed juice drink with water added.

I am after a concentrated blackcurrant that can be added to an alchoholic drink.

Thanks for the thought.

You're welcome!  I guess that's what happens when a Yank tried to help with something she has no clue about!  LOL!  Hope you find what you're looking for.
It actually sounds like something I might like to add a splash of to my Champagne!

On 8/22/2022 at 3:10 PM, JimmyVWine said:

The content shouldn't pose a problem, but the packaging might.  Princess allows cans of non-alcoholic beverages to be brought on board.  It disallows bottles because there is too much chance for the contents of these to be poured out and have alcohol placed in the bottle in its stead.  In looking at pictures of Ribena on the internet (I am not familiar with it), I would guess that this is exactly the type of packaging that would cause rejection by the security people.  Is this (or any similar product) sold in cans?  The exact wording in the Passage Contract states:

• Guests are also prohibited from bringing water, sodas and other non-alcoholic beverages on board that are packaged in bottles. A small quantity of non-alcoholic beverages (i.e., sparkling water, sodas, juice, milk) packaged in cans or cartons may be brought on board on embarkation day, only if carried on in Guests’ hand luggage (not in checked luggage). A small quantity is considered a maximum of 12 sealed, unopened cans/cartons of 12 ounces each or less per person.  Guests will be asked to discard open beverages in plastic containers prior to boarding.

We are permitted to bring on bottles of wine, not sure why juice in a bottle would pose a problem?

14 minutes ago, suzyed said:

You're welcome!  I guess that's what happens when a Yank tried to help with something she has no clue about!  LOL!  Hope you find what you're looking for.
It actually sounds like something I might like to add a splash of to my Champagne!

Creme de cassis is a French blackcurrant cordial which is added to sparkling wine to make a kir royale - a rather nice drink. Ribena would probably be a reasonable substitute.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, suzyed said:

We are permitted to bring on bottles of wine, not sure why juice in a bottle would pose a problem?

Because wine bottles already have alcohol in them.  No one is going to pour out a bottle of wine and substitute black current concentrate in its place, but they might do the reverse.  The prohibition against bottles has nothing to do with the vessel and instead has everything to do with the content.  They don't want 12 bottles of Poland Springs water to be carried on board when in fact it is really 6 bottles of vodka and 6 bottles of gin.

2 hours ago, SteveH2508 said:

Creme de cassis is a French blackcurrant cordial which is added to sparkling wine to make a kir royale - a rather nice drink. Ribena would probably be a reasonable substitute.

Ribena used to be very popular until hateful Jamie Oliver stuck his nose in everyone's business and convinced the government to bring out a sugar tax. Ribena removed the sugar, added some chemicals and ruined the taste

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, antsp said:

Ribena used to be very popular until hateful Jamie Oliver stuck his nose in everyone's business and convinced the government to bring out a sugar tax. Ribena removed the sugar, added some chemicals and ruined the taste

I will admit to not having tasted Ribena for over 50 years. I would also say that the thought of putting it in Guinness fills me with horror. I do not drink cider (it is like putting diesel into a petrol engine - my system is fine tuned to beer).

On 8/23/2022 at 6:19 AM, JF - retired RRT said:

Security would make you pour it out before you even get to the x-ray machine.

Happened to me (pre-pause) in San Pedro. I had a water bottle with one of those drink packets mixed in that I had been sipping while waiting for the passport checkers to get started. Got passports/paperwork checked, walked over to the security line and was told to dump my drink.

Interestingly, when returning from shore after a port stop, I usually have a bottle of water w/drink mix and no one says a thing as I go through security.

I've never been asked to pour out the contents of an opened water bottle at any embarkation port.  But I suppose you can get a Cruise Metro security guard that is over zealous or works at another job at one of the airports.  It's also been my experience that Princess security is even more lax, with passengers returning with six packs of beer, or bottles of liquor, in their backpacks.  On our last Alaskan cruisein July, I didn't even see a table for shore purchased alcohol, when returning to the ship..

14 hours ago, antsp said:

You can purchase both versions in the uk, with sugar(original) or sugar free, its more expensive with sugar but tastes much better.

As for Chelsea Steve, don't knock it till you try it mate.

Jazz

7 hours ago, foxfilbert said:

plus they come in plastic botties in australia 

The "no bottles" rule applies to both glass and plastic.  It is the easy open/close system that is the problem, which is why the contract specifies "sealed cans".  But at the end of the day, I think that your suggestion of giving it a try is on the mark.  The cost of failure is low enough to run the risk.

Edited by JimmyVWine