What do you find hardest about cruising solo?

Hflors

Sitting here thinking about my upcoming cruise and looking around realizing that there is no one to share all the planning and selecting of tours, dinners, packages etc.  Before my husband passed, we always did this together.  I always printed the list of tours and then he would read it over and together we would decide on what tours we wanted to do and what places we would just do a diy day.   What nights we would do specialty dinners and what night we would go to the dining room or buffet after a long day.  Now it's just me and there is no more discussions and decisions shared.  It's just me trying to make all the decisions alone.  For me this is the hardest.  Since I have actually never been on a cruise yet by myself, I really don't know how being alone on the ship will be.  I am bringing my crocheting and a couple of good books just in case I get lonely.

So what do you find the hardest about cruising solo??

Eating alone in a "fancy" dining room -- I don't like it on land, either.  I don't mind a more casual restaurant, because I don't feel uncomfortable with a book or my phone during a meal in that setting, but in a more formal environment I feel uncomfortable reading my phone or a book.  It seems to get in the way of the fancy table setting or the serving by the staff or something.

• Like 2

I am sorry for your loss.  

You can join the Roll call for your cruise.  It is possible to start to make friends that you won't meet until on the cruise.  They may even suggest excursions and activities.

I must admit that I didn't eat alone in the MDR during my first solo.  But I made some acquaintances and often had company.  I do not usually talk to people first so it was surprising how many talked to me first.  Asking where someone is from or what book they are reading can start a long conversation.

Being an introvert, the hardest thing was going to the first solo meeting but it was very welcoming.

Going to the trivia meetings alone was a little scary but if you are good in one or two categories teams will often ask you to join them.

• Like 1

I agree that eating alone in the main dining room was the most uncomfortable. The last time I cruised was last fall just as things were opening back up, so I was placed at a table alone (at that time you could only dine with people in your group due to COVID), for my upcoming cruise I requested a large table to be seated with others. Casual dining was fine for me. I will add, on around the third night I met an older couple (I am in my 40's, they were in their 70's) and ended up having a great conversation one evening and we requested table changes to put my solo dining table next to theirs, which was nice. I would encourage you to keep an open mind, because I ended up having a lovely time with those two throughout my cruise, regardless of the demographic "mismatch". 

• Like 1

You are right, planning solo cruising is a poignant experience.  I found myself putting off the decisions that needed to be made.  My husband and I were usually very sedate travelers due to his infirmities. We usually found a garden to walk through, and then did a wander around the port area.  Now that I can do more physically demanding things, I still find myself leaning towards the simple way we traveled before.  

Dining was especially difficult on the first night in the MDR, with the empty seat across from me. But the neighboring tables were kind, and the next night was easier. I confided to my server that this was my first solo cruise after my husband’s passing, and she was so solicitous.

Do what is right for you in your stage of grieving. It’s been two years for me, and it is still sometimes hard. My personal motto “memento audare sempre” (remember always to dare) applies here, reminding me to push my personal comfort boundaries. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Having to deal with my luggage by myself has sometimes been the most challenging experience as a solo traveler.  If I need to use the restroom and have some luggage to keep my eye on, having to drag it to/from the restroom can be a PITA.  Then, when I return to the waiting area, my seat is usually gone and I have to find another one.  I have been successful, particularly in the waiting at the gate for a flight, if a guest whom I have met during the cruise is on my same flight.  I will ask them to keep an eye on my luggage and save my seat.  

I have never had an issue when dining alone.  I do not read or take anything with me with the intention of reading it.  Sometimes, if I am dining with others and we seemingly have little in common, I can easily become "my own best company".  

• Like 7

21 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

Having to deal with my luggage by myself has sometimes been the most challenging experience as a solo traveler.  If I need to use the restroom and have some luggage to keep my eye on, having to drag it to/from the restroom can be a PITA.  Then, when I return to the waiting area, my seat is usually gone and I have to find another one. 

So true! When I occasionally travel with others I am so grateful to be able to go to the washroom in the airport or train station without my luggage and that I don't have to try to find another seat when I get out. Or that there's a second person to help boost my bag up into the overhead bins or luggage racks in the train (although last week on the train someone offered to help me before I even asked---the joy of getting and looking older, it seems).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, whee-sailing said:

Or that there's a second person to help boost my bag up into the overhead bins

I find this is now nearly impossible to do unless it is a very small carry-on.  On my most recent Delta One flight, I had seat 2A with a Flight Attendant standing in the Galley, watching me.  I was having much difficulty and ended up with a minor injury to a little finger.  A passenger in 3A provided help to push the bag into the bin.  The Flight Attendant did nothing; I was miffed.  Since then, I have learned why he didn't help.  

I have been told the flight attendants aren't officially "on the clock" or being paid until the plane starts to pull away from the gate/brakes released.  If they were to get injured helping with luggage it wouldn't be an "on the job injury" so workman's comp insurance wouldn't cover the medical or lost time costs.

• Like 5

On 8/26/2022 at 2:09 AM, Hflors said:

Sitting here thinking about my upcoming cruise and looking around realizing that there is no one to share all the planning and selecting of tours, dinners, packages etc.  Before my husband passed, we always did this together.  I always printed the list of tours and then he would read it over and together we would decide on what tours we wanted to do and what places we would just do a diy day.   What nights we would do specialty dinners and what night we would go to the dining room or buffet after a long day.  Now it's just me and there is no more discussions and decisions shared.  It's just me trying to make all the decisions alone.  For me this is the hardest.  Since I have actually never been on a cruise yet by myself, I really don't know how being alone on the ship will be.  I am bringing my crocheting and a couple of good books just in case I get lonely.

In the Different Strokes department, I like making decisions on my own.  To quote one of my favorite philosophers, I love it when a plan comes together.  😁  I don't like it so much when I obviously screwed up, but those are learning experiences.  Or so I tell myself. 🙃

I don't mind dining in the MDR.  I rarely do it these days, but not because I'm uncomfortable with dining alone there.

OK, to finally answer your question for me.  The hardest parts I find about cruising solo are...

1. Finding the time to do so.  As a working class Joe, I not only have limited vacation time, I have times when I shouldn't be away from the office for operational reasons.
  2. The flights.  From booking and suffering through some suboptimal flights with inflated price tags, to dealing with flight delays and cancellations, to the flights themselves, flying has seen better days, IMHO.
  3. Getting back home.  Disembarking has some sad moments. ☹️

I think you, OP, will be fine.  Think happy thoughts. 😀 Good luck!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, oakridger said:

I have been told the flight attendants aren't officially "on the clock" or being paid until the plane starts to pull away from the gate/brakes released.  If they were to get injured helping with luggage it wouldn't be an "on the job injury" so workman's comp insurance wouldn't cover the medical or lost time costs.

That is what I have learned.  

The number one thing I find hardest about cruising solo is the before and after. I really really don’t like staying in hotel rooms by myself. I mean it’s not that big of a deal, I just really would rather not. I also don’t like getting into taxicabs by myself. Or Uber. So before the cruise I fly out the day before, get in a taxi to go to the hotel, and then spend the night in a hotel by myself. I hate that part. I don’t love taking a taxi from port to the airport on the last day either. 

but really that’s the biggest hurdle for me. There are time times on the cruise I feel a bit lonely but for the most part, 99% of the time, I just love being able to do what I want when I want without having to discuss it with anyone else. Want to skip lunch? No problem. Choose a different location for dinner? No problem. Skip a port, sleep late, get up in the middle of the night and watch a movie, see a show multiple times because I enjoy it so much, laying in a pool chair all afternoon, I can do all of those things without inconveniencing anyone else or having to compromise or ask someone else to accommodate me. I really enjoy cruising in all that it offers, and for me the few twinges of feeling lonely here and there are well worth the trade off of several days on a gorgeous ship. 

I will add that I generally skip eating in the main dining room and I certainly don’t do specialty dining by myself. I don’t like those things even when I’m with someone, and eating in a long drawn out way by myself is not enjoyable. I love doing the buffet and eating when I want as quickly or as leisurely as I’d like.

I know this sounds corny, but I wonder if it would be helpful for you to make a list of things that you might not enjoy as a solo cruiser and a list of things you are pretty sure you would enjoy very much. You might see that one outweighs the other.

• Like 10

Very helpful information!

I used to discuss a pared down list of excursion options with my husband, but other than that, I researched and planned everything.  However similarly, I find making decisions for my house to be overwhelming, even though previously  I had eventually taken care of almost everything myself; I think the difference is knowing there is no one else but you.

I am in the process of researching a last minute cruise, which will have the most comforting characteristics I can think of:  great price for suites (in case I choose to spend most of my time in the cabin, including some meals), cruise line I am very familiar with (free laundry / less luggage), ship I have sailed on previously (familiarity / emotional comfort?), itinerary I have been to multiple times (can stay on ship if I choose to or can walk around without feeling lost, also hopefully good memories), port I have been to many times.  Only problem I can think of is getting to the port, which is a three hour drive, but @ 6 hours for a bus or flight.  Thinking of renting car, driving @ 1/2 way , staying in a hotel and then driving to the port and turning in the car nearby.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated!

• Like 1

How timely that I read these postings. I will make my first solo cruise next year. My husband wished for me to continue traveling after he passed and told me, "you can do this."  I know that it will be difficult not having him with me to share the experiences of dining as a couple, enjoying a show or an excursion. These are the moments that I need to take myself out of my comfort zone to meet fellow cruisers. My husband was retired from the Navy, but he never stopped loving being at sea; especially at night when he could look at the moon and stars above. So for me, the hardest moments will be not sharing the moonlight stroll on deck before going to our stateroom for the night. 

• Like 14

There are always some of us who enjoy the moon, stars, sunrises and sunsets on the seas.  I bet if you mention it on the Roll Call for your cruise, you might find like minded male or female travelers.

• Like 4

I love cruising solo!  No problem going to any restaurants or shipboard activities.  I particularly enjoy watching the big tables of families arguing about what happened that day/what to do the next day.  Makes me grateful for my time doing what I want, when I want.

Biggest difficulties for me is trying to get a deck chair and not having it stolen the minute I get up.  Also trying to eat at the buffet (which I now avoid) and getting food & a table, get up to get a drink and people are at my table, no matter what I leave on it! 

Last cruise (which was some time ago, I just pulled an empty chair from another table, pulled it up to my "original" table - with the "stealers" at it & sat down and started eating 😜)

Small issue, is asking people to take my picture at ports/excursions.

Embrace it and enjoy it!

• Like 5
  • Haha 5

I also recently lost my husband and am taking my first solo cruise next month.  I expect to have those moments of loss but I will also have the memories of the joyful times such as standing by the railing, enjoying the sunset as we did together.  Or, sitting on the balcony reading.  He really enjoyed the MDR so that will probably be my most trying experience but I am determined to do it... that's what he would expect.  It's probably easier to think about this solo experience than it will actually be.

• Like 2

My dh passed away last October.
I went on a cruise with a 'good' friend and her friend last month, and felt like it was a solo cruise for me.  They shared a cabin, and I had my own.  (thank God)
I am going to Florida on Sunday, (and that now x-friend was supposed to come with me, but after the way she ditched me on that cruise, to hell with her), so I am going solo and I plan to have a fantastic time by myself. I have a wonderful 2 b/f resort all to myself. 
(I will see my SIL, BIL & their daughter, who works at Universal, so I'll get in free)  

A few days ago I booked a 5 day cruise to Bermuda.  While on FB posting for that cruise, I noticed a woman that my dh and I met on a cruise a few years back when she with her husband, will be on this cruise.  Luckily she is going with her g/f and my cabin is veryclose to theirs.  At least I will know someone but will mostly be by myself.  Right away she said we much have dinner and a drink together and hang out on her balcony. 
 Looking forward to some company and also doing things on my own now.  

• Like 3

On 8/31/2022 at 3:38 PM, travelgip said:

Last cruise (which was some time ago, I just pulled an empty chair from another table, pulled it up to my "original" table - with the "stealers" at it & sat down and started eating 😜)

Good for you!  

23 hours ago, travelgip said:

I love cruising solo!  No problem going to any restaurants or shipboard activities.  I particularly enjoy watching the big tables of families arguing about what happened that day/what to do the next day.  Makes me grateful for my time doing what I want, when I want.

Biggest difficulties for me is trying to get a deck chair and not having it stolen the minute I get up.  Also trying to eat at the buffet (which I now avoid) and getting food & a table, get up to get a drink and people are at my table, no matter what I leave on it! 

Small issue, is asking people to take my picture at ports/excursions.

Embrace it and enjoy it!

I also love cruising solo, except for the extra costs of course.

I love being able to do what I want when I want and being naturally gregarious I always find people to chat to. Most people are creatures of habit  and I find the same people in the same bar every evening, especially The Martini Bar on Celebrity. Eating alone is no fun so I select a set dining time and request being on a large table with other guests. I've only once in the twelve solo cruises I've taken had to ask to be moved to another table and that was because I was put with a group who were on a family reunion. they were very nice but I felt like a spare 'un at a wedding. I only use the Buffet for breakfast so I get my coffee before I sit down then leave it on the table along with my sweater or jacket on the chair while I get my food. If the server/ bus person for my table is nearby I tell them that I'm coming back and not to clear my stuff away. Dealing with luggage can be difficult so I only take a carry on which I can manage by my self except for getting it into the overhead bin on the plane. I'm a 5ft, 75 years old woman so I smile sweetly at the nearest tall gentleman and ask if he would be so kind as to help me. They always do and usually get it back down for me when we land without me having to ask. 

• Like 12

On 8/25/2022 at 11:09 PM, Hflors said:

Following through.  If there is no one else waiting for me, then I get to change my mind any time I want. It is really nice, but sometimes I miss things because I choose to sleep in, or stay on the ship instead of something, etc. I do not have to wait for someone, no one is waiting on me. I can eat anywhere I like and don't have to follow through with reservations 🙂 

• Like 6

On 9/1/2022 at 12:55 PM, Supershot said:

I also love cruising solo, except for the extra costs of course.

I love being able to do what I want when I want and being naturally gregarious I always find people to chat to. Most people are creatures of habit  and I find the same people in the same bar every evening, especially The Martini Bar on Celebrity. Eating alone is no fun so I select a set dining time and request being on a large table with other guests. I've only once in the twelve solo cruises I've taken had to ask to be moved to another table and that was because I was put with a group who were on a family reunion. they were very nice but I felt like a spare 'un at a wedding. I only use the Buffet for breakfast so I get my coffee before I sit down then leave it on the table along with my sweater or jacket on the chair while I get my food. If the server/ bus person for my table is nearby I tell them that I'm coming back and not to clear my stuff away. Dealing with luggage can be difficult so I only take a carry on which I can manage by my self except for getting it into the overhead bin on the plane. I'm a 5ft, 75 years old woman so I smile sweetly at the nearest tall gentleman and ask if he would be so kind as to help me. They always do and usually get it back down for me when we land without me having to ask. 

You have me beat by 1 inch.  I too dislike not having someone to hold your spot.  There will be NO seat stealing for two of my cruises next year.  I'm trying two MSC cruise ships. Seascape & Meraviglia. I was able to book an INSIDE yacht club (think haven with some inside cabins) for like $2200 all in and it comes with a butler, private pool, restaurant, lounge, all drinks, all wifi, access to the thermal spa.   Can't beat that at all.  That is the solo price.  

4dd95562 (1).png

Edited by kessdarln
  • Like 9

• 2 weeks later...

The hardest thing for me is the "single supplement". I feel like it's a punishment for being single.

The second hardest thing for me is the MDR, like others have mentioned. I have no problem on land because I generally just sit at the bar but in the MDR I have hoards of people staring at me. I take a Kindle with me when I travel so I can read or stare out the window.

Now the best thing about traveling solo is the freedom. I can do what I want, when I want and I don't have to try and please someone else. I can sleep in, I can stay on the ship, I can get off the ship, it's all up to me. 

• Like 10