Thoughts on clothing

trickylibrarian

I am trying to use only carry ons for an upcoming river cruise (Uniworld)

and know many packing "tricks".  Looking for opinions/thoughts on the

amount of clothing that is really needed for a 10 day cruise.  When I think

back on other river cruises I certainly don't remember paying attention

to what people wear or if they wear the same thing more than once. 

We'll be traveling independently 5 days after the cruise and am trying

not to take the big checked bags that we normally take.  Thanks in 

advance for your thoughts ladies.  

I wouldn't be able to travel for 15 days with only carry ons.  Are you planning on doing laundry on the ship?  I wear the same items of clothing 2 or 3 times, especially outfits I wear at dinner that I'm only in for a few hours and not getting sweaty.  

• Like 1

I've sailed Uniworld 3 times, and I've often worn my daytime clothes to the DR or maybe if I was wearing jeans, just changed my pants.  I'm not sure why people have the idea that Uniworld is "formal" because it's not.  Passengers dress nicely, but I wouldn't call it dressy except for gala dinners. 

I’ve traveled up to a month with just carryon luggage but the problem can be purchases along the way so I have an expandable carryon bag that I may or may not have to check on the return flight.  River cruises are easier to pack for than some ocean cruises because attire is less dressy in general and there are no formal nights.  As long as you have access to laundry you can easily manage with carryon only.  

I’m sure you know all the packing tips otherwise but I can recommend a clothing line called Anatomie that makes travel attire made from super lightweight technical fabric.  You can handwash the pants and literally dry them in a few minutes with a hairdryer or they’ll be dry overnight.  They fold down to nothing in your luggage.  

• Like 2

Pack layers, so you can mix & match. Choose your colours so everything co-ordinates together, no matter how you mix your outfits - short sleeved top with light sweaters, capris, and a couple pairs of slacks. Bring light clothes so they can be rinsed in the sink or shower, and hung to dry for a day. We wear our heaviest clothes over - jeans, coat, heavier shoes etc, so less in the luggage. I did vacuum packs for our clothes, so got a lot of clothes packed flat and took less room. We have expandable 19" carry on luggage, so going home didn't matter as much.

Don't worry about a different outfit each day (or 2), as most travellers will be rotating clothes just like you are. I've never travelled on Uniworld, but as Roz says, I will sometimes wear my daytime clothes in the dining room...in fact, I usually did, either the outfit for the next day, or what I had worn that day, depending on how we were touring. I did have a couple of nicer tops to wear for the special dinners, but that was it.

We did a 3 day pre-cruise, 7 day cruise and 2 days to get home after, and managed it all in our carry on, except for the 1 outfit each (basically top & change of underwear) in my backpack (personal item) just in case we did have to check our carry on, which we did!  It arrived ok, but at least we had 1 change if needed. I also packed 1/2 my husbands clothes in with mine & vise versa.

We didn't take Shampoo/Conditioner, hair dryer or straighteners or any other stuff.  Meds were eye-drops so they went in our camera bag, with our tablets. We packed minimal, and still actually could have taken some out. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

No one is going to be paying any attention to what you wear. Comfort is king on river cruises. No idea when you are traveling but if it’s fall you will likely be wearing a jacket most days and no one will even see what you have on under it. You should be fine with carry ons, especially if you have a few things that you can rinse out yourself or send to the laundry. 

We did a 10 day trip in May with just carry ons. Some friends on the same cruise each checked an enormous 50 lb suitcase plus carried on a huge backpack and a roller bag the size of our carry on. No idea what was in all of that but I can pretty well guarantee no one on board noticed any difference in our wardrobes. And they nearly killed themselves getting it all on and off planes, thru airports etc. 

im trying to decide if we can make it 3 1/2 weeks with just a carry on. I think that might be pushing the limit 😂

The key is to be strategic about what clothes you bring.  We just came home from a 7-day Rhine cruise with 2-day extension.  Going over, my DH and I had one checked bag between us, which was less than half full because I wasn't confident we'd see it when we landed in Switzerland!  Most of our clothes were in our carry-ons and personal items.  

I didn't bring any jeans (though they are a staple of my at-home wardrobe).  I wanted all my clothes to be quick-wash and -dry, so I made sure they were mostly tech materials, including nylon and polyester.  We also used compression packing cubes that helped squeeze a lot of air out of clothes and kept the size to a minimum.  One wildcard is the time of year you'll be going.  If you will need warmer clothes, try to think in terms of multiple, thinner layers rather than one thick layer.  And it might be a good excuse to purchase a stylish jacket or sweater during the trip!

• Like 1

You only need a couple of basic clothes for touring. They sell Travel friendly clothes that are wrinkle proof and you can wash and dry in the sink. Worth the investment. Chicos and Athleta two major brands. If it’s the warmer months they sell travel skirts. 

I always change after touring. I like to dress up a little and be fresh from a shower before dinner after touring all day. 

But the same theory holds. A pair of black slacks, a few dressier tops. Even a top with bling. A skirt and a dressy shawl scarf works too. 

On 8/26/2022 at 3:05 PM, Gourmet Gal said:

I’ve traveled up to a month with just carryon luggage but the problem can be purchases along the way so I have an expandable carryon bag that I may or may not have to check on the return flight.  River cruises are easier to pack for than some ocean cruises because attire is less dressy in general and there are no formal nights.  As long as you have access to laundry you can easily manage with carryon only.  

For years, I always have a strong rip-stop nylon zipper bag that lays flat in the bottom of my suitcase. During the trip, the dirty clothes go in it. Gives me an extra bag if I get carried away with purchases 🙂

• Like 2

• 7 months later...

How about packing/clothing for a 15 day Scenic cruise followed by 17 days on the QM2 plus the days before and after, 35 in total. And BTW we do like dressing up on the QM2 including a Tux for the several gala nights. And 7 of those days will be in Norway. A challenge for sure, but any suggestions would be welcomed and appreciated. Safe travels to all.

• Like 1

On 8/26/2022 at 9:37 AM, trickylibrarian said:

I am trying to use only carry ons for an upcoming river cruise (Uniworld)

and know many packing "tricks".  Looking for opinions/thoughts on the

amount of clothing that is really needed for a 10 day cruise.  When I think

back on other river cruises I certainly don't remember paying attention

to what people wear or if they wear the same thing more than once. 

We'll be traveling independently 5 days after the cruise and am trying

not to take the big checked bags that we normally take.  Thanks in 

advance for your thoughts ladies.  

You are so right ... nobody pays any attention to what you're wearing ... and if they do, they certainly don't care if you wear something several times.  I take 5 or 6 'outfits', 3 pairs of black pants, 3 pairs of shoes.  A couple of silk turtlenecks, some scarves, cardigan, windbreaker.  Everything goes together.  For 'dressing up', a scarf and sparkly earrings.   

• Like 1

As the experts say a pop of - colour, bling or unusual can set off any outfit. A well designed piece that doesn’t have to cost a fortune (but may take some finding) can wow the crowd no problem and be completely understated. Mind you classics are very useful but where do you get them these days, oh well off to the sewing machine, knitting needles, crochet hook you name it I’ve most probably got it.

• Like 1