In room Ice?

jphks

15 minutes ago, kcdancerkc said:

What we do, is as soon as we board, and find out steward, we tip them a bit up front

and ask that we have Ice 2x day   : )

We don't 'tip a bit up front' nor do we specifically ask, but always, always, ice is delivered twice a day.

It is part of the service and adequately covered by the daily 'Crew Appreciation/Hotel Service' charge.

• Like 9

I put it on the comment card they give you when you first arrive in your room.  It is now on the app too.  The app has a lot of request options - more hangers, more ice, extension cord and others. 

I now simply empty out the fridge and place the contents into a drawer.  I return them to the fridge when I leave

Edited by Mary229
  • Like 2

We use a lot of ice for soda and water and always request AM and PM ice.............. it's almost silly to see the tiny little ice buckets provided on the ships we've been on.   We splurged on a Neptune Suite upsell a couple years ago and were given TWO of the tiny little ice buckets.    🙂

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mary229 said:

I now simply empty out the fridge and place the contents into a drawer.  I return them to the fridge when I leave

Doesn’t that cause an issue when In-Room Bar Service comes to take stock/replenish or do you let the room stewards know in advance?

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, CruiserBruce said:

Nope, never has for us.

You also hide the beverages in a drawer and haven’t had charges appear on your account?  I know I’ve had the bar steward empty it (by request via the room steward) but there are times when I’ve left it and they have come in to do inventory and replenish and the charge appears on my bill.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, *Miss G* said:

You also hide the beverages in a drawer and haven’t had charges appear on your account?  I know I’ve had the bar steward empty it (by request via the room steward) but there are times when I’ve left it and they have come in to do inventory and replenish and the charge appears on my bill.

No, WE don't hide the fridge contents. We let the cabin attendants do it.

On our most recent cruise,  we had the drink package,  so we figured we didn't need to empty the fridge. But we did stockpile a couple waters and a couple diet cokes. On morning we suddenly discovered about half the pre-stocked items were missing from the fridge. We talked to our cabin guys and discovered they have removed expired items. No problem,  but had us concerned for a few minutes.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

As noted in above posts, the little ice buckets in the rooms are just too small.  For several years, I asked my Room Steward to bring a champagne bucket with ice and wrap the bucket in a towel to control any sweating.  A dinner plate under the bucket and one on top kept the ice cold for a long time. 

In 2021, I began cruising with a collapsible, insulated, cooler that only needs filling every two days.  It does not sweat or require daily refilling.  Canned warm sodas can be quickly chilled in the cooler ice.  Canned beverages stay a lot colder when surrounded by ice.  Using Ziploc bags, one may keep refrigerated foods chilled on larger plates than will fit in the minibar.  Some medications require colder temperatures than the minibar can provide but an ice-filled cooler can.  Lots of available ice enhances entertaining friends on your balcony.

FWIW several years ago, I used an infrared thermometer to measure the temp of sodas stored in my minibar.  38-degrees in the back of the minibar and 43-degrees in the door. Items in an ice-filled, collapsible cooler should be just a bit above 32 degrees.

Edited by Crew News
  • Like 3

11 hours ago, *Miss G* said:

Doesn’t that cause an issue when In-Room Bar Service comes to take stock/replenish or do you let the room stewards know in advance?

No, it has not.  It was how I was instructed to do so many cruises ago.  Everything is removed including the desktop water and order cards.  They seem to know that I didn’t clean out the mini bar between embarkation and first night dinner.  If it is a long cruise and I have no spare drawers I will have them completely remove it from the room. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, *Miss G* said:

We do the same as you do.  We would never remove items and hold them until end of cruise to return.  The steward, room service,  or someone has to be informed we don't want the items left in the refrigerator, so that we don't end up with any charges.  They handle the removal for us.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It would be SO easy for HAL to simply ASK if you want the minibar stocked prior to your cruise (like bed configuration? dining time? options) and save the hassle.  I have NEVER wanted or even used the minibar in 20+ years of cruising, (and yet there always seems to be that one charge that shows up!)

I will definitely have ours emptied and removed for our 35 nts on the Kdam.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Mary229 said:

They seem to know that I didn’t clean out the mini bar between embarkation and first night dinner.

My question seems to have put you on the defensive.  I was genuinely curious.  That’s all.

20 hours ago, Crusin-Suzan said:

We bring a soft sided cooler with a large plastic bag onboard and ask steward to fill it every morning and night!   We always give them a 20 when we ask!   Plus more as cruise goes!

Exactly us. I let the stewards know first day & seal the deal with a $20. Keep the cooler on my balcony.

20 hours ago, Crusin-Suzan said:

21 minutes ago, tensixmom said:

Newbie question:  Do all rooms have a mini bar or just certain ones?  (We are not interested in having one).

All have some sort of minibar.  When we say minibar we simply mean a selection of beverages left in the room. Like a hotel they come at a cost.  This discussion has lots of ideas on minibar removal. 

4 hours ago, Mary229 said:

All have some sort of minibar.  When we say minibar we simply mean a selection of beverages left in the room. Like a hotel they come at a cost.  This discussion has lots of ideas on minibar removal. 

Thank you!  Just trying to know what to expect.