Departure and boarding tomorrow will be a zoo

6 hours ago, ZoeyVictoria said:

I wonder how the next launch dates are determined.  We have a cruise out of PC coming up in a couple of weeks and I wouldn’t be happy about embarking on a launch date.

It's based on a specific "window" they have to launch "through" in order to put the capsule into the correct orbit around the moon.  It's all about positioning.  If not done correctly it could just shoot past and keep on going or even crash into the moon.  The date is determined by how things are lined up.  My DH works as a system engineer (satellites) for the Fed Gov and my oldest son does orbit modeling.  It involves math and writing code.  They don't just randomly pick dates.

Edited by BND
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@orville99 I was just looking at the PC webcam and Carnival Liberty is just coming into dock at T3.  They were due at 7 am and supposed to leave at 330 according to the port schedule.  I can't find anything on the Carnival boards and no roll call for today.  Hear anything?

Oh, never mind.  She was leaving, but it wasn't clear on Marine Traffic.  It looked  like she was just coming in.    Anyway, have a good trip as I see you're leaving now.

Edited by BND
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, BND said:

Oh, never mind.  She was leaving, but it wasn't clear on Marine Traffic.  It looked  like she was just coming in.    Anyway, have a good trip as I see you're leaving now.

They had the first ships dock nose in to speed up the docking process, so both the liberty, the freedom and the indy had to rotate to depart. We came in last so we backed in.

On 8/28/2022 at 3:32 PM, orville99 said:

With five ships in port and an historic first launch of the Artemis moon capsule tomorrow in port canaveral, getting to or from any of the ships will be a nightmare. The captain on Mariner has announced that he wants everyone off the ship by 8:00, and that everyone should roll off their own luggage. Good luck getting to the airport with an estimated 200,000+ expected to clog the 528. 

Cannot tell you how many times when we lived in Orlando we went to watch only to come home because it never happened.  So not surprised at all it did not happen today.

Edited by karena1

first launch of a new toy ...... come on ... it ain't NEVER gonna go the first try!!!!!

OTOH SPACEX tossing their lil birds up a couple of times a month .... HIGH probability of an on time launch. ULA and DELTA's ... somewhere in between depending on the DELTA configuration. The more complicated the higher the probability for trouble.

I've watched launches from my pool for 15 odd years now . . .