Departure and boarding tomorrow will be a zoo

With five ships in port and an historic first launch of the Artemis moon capsule tomorrow in port canaveral, getting to or from any of the ships will be a nightmare. The captain on Mariner has announced that he wants everyone off the ship by 8:00, and that everyone should roll off their own luggage. Good luck getting to the airport with an estimated 200,000+ expected to clog the 528. 

6 minutes ago, orville99 said:

With five ships in port and an historic first launch of the Artemis moon capsule tomorrow in port canaveral, getting to or from any of the ships will be a nightmare. The captain on Mariner has announced that he wants everyone off the ship by 8:00, and that everyone should roll off their own luggage. Good luck getting to the airport with an estimated 200,000+ expected to clog the 528. 

DH and I were just discussing this.  Launch window opens at 830 but traffic will be a nightmare.  We have friends who live on Merritt Island and they were talking about how bad it can get on big launch days.  There are restrictions about parking, etc but there will be a ton of foot traffic as well.  

12 minutes ago, BND said:

DH and I were just discussing this.  Launch window opens at 830 but traffic will be a nightmare.  We have friends who live on Merritt Island and they were talking about how bad it can get on big launch days.  There are restrictions about parking, etc but there will be a ton of foot traffic as well.  

They are asking the shoreside staff to plan on getting to the port by 4:00. Probably won’t be enough (if any) porters available, and any people who had scheduled shuttles or Uber back to the airport are IMO SOL.

Fortunately we are on a B2B on Mariner so we get to watch the insanity from a distance. There is a line at the future cruise desk with people trying to book some type of cabin for the next cruise.

Edited by orville99
  • Like 1

I saw that about how crowded cape Canaveral is right now for the launch.

Also saw rains moving in for the gulf so they will be having a fun day too. Hope everyone planned ahead and is where they need to be already. As close to their ports as possible. 

4 minutes ago, orville99 said:

They are asking the shoreside staff to plan on getting to the port by 4:00. Probably won’t be enough (if any) porters available, and any people who had scheduled shuttles or Uber back to the airport are IMO SOL.

Fortunately we are on a B2B on Mariner so we get to watch the insanity from a distance. There is a line at the future cruise desk with people trying to book some type of cabin for the next cruise.

Report what you see/hear.  You'll have to try to watch the launch before they do walkoff/on which in our experience, they usually have everyone meet at 9 am.  Maybe you'll meet up next to a window.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, BND said:

Report what you see/hear.  You'll have to try to watch the launch before they do walkoff/on which in our experience, they usually have everyone meet at 9 am.  Maybe you'll meet up next to a window.

Thats our plan. We will probably be a bit late getting to the meeting. There are 50+ doing B2B, so it will take them a while to check everyone in anyway.

19 minutes ago, soremekun said:

Five ships in port?  The porters are going to make a killing!  Gotta be one of the best union gigs.

N/M.   I misread the port schedule.  

Edited by BND

31 minutes ago, orville99 said:

Thats our plan. We will probably be a bit late getting to the meeting. There are 50+ doing B2B, so it will take them a while to check everyone in anyway.

Especially if everyone else has the same plan!

1 hour ago, soremekun said:

Five ships in port?  The porters are going to make a killing!  Gotta be one of the best union gigs.

If they can even get to the port. There are five ships in port almost every Monday morning.

Edited by orville99
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, orville99 said:

The captain on Mariner has announced that he wants everyone off the ship by 8:00, and that everyone should roll off their own luggage.

I would think that would make debarkation slower rather than faster.  Everyone dragging their own luggage, elevator space at a premium.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Another_Critic said:

So which ship is going to breach the launch zone and scrub the launch?  😉

Hopefully it's not Harmony!  It already forced one launch to scrub back in January. https://www.floridatoday.com/story/tech/science/space/2022/01/30/cruise-ship-enters-launch-hazard-area-forcing-spacex-scrub-again/9279135002/

12 hours ago, jk04 said:

I would think that would make debarkation slower rather than faster.  Everyone dragging their own luggage, elevator space at a premium.

It will clog everything up. It is already insane trying to get an elevator, and we are not even completely docked yet. Traffic on the roads is at a standstill.

We have a great view from our balcony however.

37146DD4-2141-4298-B21E-B764021E7063.jpeg

E83D5AD7-39C5-4289-B142-37B36440187A.jpeg

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, molly361 said:

Some possible issues with the launch.  We will see.  If not today everyone can do it again Friday😇

Probably not going to happen today, but that isn’t stopping the mass luggage filled exodus from the ship. The line to depart is coming out of the port side forward doors, wrapping all the wa around the stern of the ship and back to the gangways on the starboard side.

57E992DC-FF85-4630-9E90-D21E0F09B609.jpeg

Edited by orville99

Our friends who live on Merritt Island have been at their observation spot for over an hour which is not in Canaveral, it's basically within a mile or two of their house.  I'm wondering if they rode their bikes.   At least on Friday, there's only three ships (won't change the throngs of people and cars).   I'll be watching the live feed.  We have several friends who work at NASA facilities in senior positions so this is all they've been talking about the last few days.    But, I can't imagine trying to drag my luggage off.  We pack with the understanding we don't have to do that.  Pushing/pulling it out to our car from the terminal is one thing, but having to deal with it on the ship, no thanks.

Edited by BND
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, BND said:

Our friends who live on Merritt Island have been at their observation spot for over an hour which is not in Canaveral, it's basically within a mile or two of their house.  I'm wondering if they rode their bikes.   At least on Friday, there's only three ships (won't change the throngs of people and cars).   I'll be watching the live feed.  We have several friends who work at NASA facilities in senior positions so this is all they've been talking about the last few days.    But, I can't imagine trying to drag my luggage off.  We pack with the understanding we don't have to do that.  Pushing/pulling it out to our car from the terminal is one thing, but having to deal with it on the ship, no thanks.

CD said that they only have about 500 departing pax left on board, so the ship is getting everyone off quickly, but i imagine the customs lines are jammed with everyone dragging their luggage through. The top deck of the parking garage is three deep with people, and there are several hundred small boats in the river.

1 minute ago, ZoeyVictoria said:

I wonder how the next launch dates are determined.  We have a cruise out of PC coming up in a couple of weeks and I wouldn’t be happy about embarking on a launch date.

Launch Windows

=this coming Friday 12:48 p.m

=Monday 9/5 5:12 p.m

Windows are open for 2 hours

Edited by robmtx