Holland America and PortMiami instead of Port Everglades

BluePrelude

10 hours ago, richstowe said:

Doesn't Port Canaveral take another 10 hours sailing to get to the Caribbean then Everglades ?  No thanks .

I'm being selfish.   Canaveral is only 1 1/2 hours from me, but I hate the ships that that berthed there.  

10 hours ago, esther e said:

I'm being selfish. 

No, you are not, in my opinion.  The ease of driving, parking, and embarking at Port Canaveral is so much better than at the Port of Miami.  Some HAL cruisers are sometimes unhappy with Port Everglades regarding those arrangements, but, if, indeed, HAL does need to move to Miami, those that drive will be most unhappy in comparison to Port Everglades.  For those that fly into either Port, it will one of those "ho-hum"--so what?--situations.  Flying to embark a cruise sailing from Port Canaveral is a different matter.  

3 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

No, you are not, in my opinion.  The ease of driving, parking, and embarking at Port Canaveral is so much better than at the Port of Miami.  Some HAL cruisers are sometimes unhappy with Port Everglades regarding those arrangements, but, if, indeed, HAL does need to move to Miami, those that drive will be most unhappy in comparison to Port Everglades.  For those that fly into either Port, it will one of those "ho-hum"--so what?--situations.  Flying to embark a cruise sailing from Port Canaveral is a different matter.  

I would much rather fly into Orlando than Miami!!!  And customs is easier for those coming from other countries.

• Like 1

Just now, esther e said:

I would much rather fly into Orlando than Miami!!!  And customs is easier for those coming from other countries.

I'm also at the point in my life where I've been everywhere I want to cruise to and now pretty much go for the ship.  Having said that, I can't ever imagine being on a mega ship with 5,000+ pax and crew.  To me, that's not my cup of tea.  Oceania and Regent have docked in Canaveral, so anything is possible I think.  And they're in the process of extending the port, too.

On 8/29/2022 at 9:21 AM, Mary229 said:

I would welcome the occasional change. 

I don't, if you live in Florida, driving to Miami and the port is dangerous and insane especially on  I-95 between Ft. Lauderdale and Miami and we are originally from Chicago and know how to drive in traffic. Coming in on l-75 and the Shula expressway is a little better.

Edited by MISTER 67
  • Like 2

I much prefer FLL because I can fly SW (no baggage fees!) on an easy 2-hr nonstop.  I muchly dislike the Miami airport.  I dislike flying to Orlando to sail from PC even more.  Flights full of screaming kids going to/from Disneyworld.  And then there's the long shuttle ride to PC.

I'm not at all happy that Carnival no longer has a single ship in Port Everglades.

I vote for Tampa!  HAL's ships should be able to navigate there.  Carnival has a Spirit-class ship which is much like the Vista class.

So we needed to change our return flights and lucky enough the airlines didn’t charge additional fees….however…..I contacted my TA to see if HAL was offering any compensation and so far the answer is no.

if I was charged I would really be upset, as I really feel an OBC even minimal would be appreciated by all for the inconveniences. For those that are charged additional fees, I would hold receipts and submit them for reimbursement.

8 hours ago, MISTER 67 said:

I don't, if you live in Florida, driving to Miami and the port is dangerous and insane especially on  I-95 between Ft. Lauderdale and Miami and we are originally from Chicago and know how to drive in traffic. Coming in on l-75 and the Shula expressway is a little better.

I have a choice when flying.   I like Miami. 

7 hours ago, NCTribeFan said:

I much prefer FLL because I can fly SW (no baggage fees!) on an easy 2-hr nonstop.  I muchly dislike the Miami airport.  I dislike flying to Orlando to sail from PC even more.  Flights full of screaming kids going to/from Disneyworld.  And then there's the long shuttle ride to PC.

I'm not at all happy that Carnival no longer has a single ship in Port Everglades.

I vote for Tampa!  HAL's ships should be able to navigate there.  Carnival has a Spirit-class ship which is much like the Vista class.

I also would like to see HAL sailing out of Tampa again. 

• Like 3

For passengers arriving by car Fort Lauderdale is much easier than Miami. For those flying in, the close proximity of the airport to Port Everglades is also much easier; not to mention cost of hotels and restaurants in Miami. Hopefully, as has been mentioned, this is not a preview of future plans but a one time situation created by work in the port.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, MISTER 67 said:

I also would like to see HAL sailing out of Tampa again. 

As would I.

11 hours ago, foflocruiser said:

Terminal 4 is closed for Disney Cruise Line renovations. 

This will be at least the second time that this terminal and its slip has been extended/ renovated in recent years.  Was not aware that this was going to take place and most certainly not for Disney.  Will this terminal then become an exclusive Disney terminal for awhile?  And, for what ship?  The new Disney Wish?  

14 minutes ago, 1ANGELCAT said:

The issue with Tampa is the long amount of time it takes to get out into open water and the possibility of fog out and being unable to sail under the Skyway bridge. 

Yes!  That happened to us and we didn't leave until 24 hours later.  We missed our next port, Key West.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Yes!  That happened to us and we didn't leave until 24 hours later.  We missed our next port, Key West.

It happened to me on the Veendam NYE cruise. The ship was going to dry dock upon return so no passengers waiting to board . I think we docked around noon time and my flight was around 3pm. 

• Like 1