American Diner, Why?

jetact

Just now, wolft927 said:

Just for haven guests 

I am staying in the haven on my September 29th cruise on the getaway, my wife and I are gonna try the lunch only because it’s free and we have not try it. I will update with my review of it 

• Like 1

Will be in the Haven on the Encore in Jan '23. Plan on trying this out since it'll be free on Embarkation Day. Other than that, would simply walk on by w/o a second thought. They can't be making much, if any, profit out of this space.

13 minutes ago, rbalfour said:

Will be in the Haven on the Encore in Jan '23. Plan on trying this out since it'll be free on Embarkation Day. Other than that, would simply walk on by w/o a second thought. They can't be making much, if any, profit out of this space.

Exactly.....why aren't they trying to make good use of this otherwise perfectly good outdoor dining venue?    

Even when it was Margaritaville, we had a couple of nice complimentary breakfasts here.   And the bar area kept busy with Margaritaville drinks.  

I'm totally confused.  You would think they could figure out something better to do with it🤔

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, weltek said:

If revenue is the point, they need to ditch this place immediately and put in something else that people WANT to spend money on. 

Well lord knows they arent making any money there. I have been on Breakaway and Getaway multiple times and always wonder what they could put there. something someone would want to spend money on. location is not really the greatest, so maybe a bad ass sports bar or something

• Like 1

1 minute ago, wolft927 said:

Well lord knows they arent making any money there. I have been on Breakaway and Getaway multiple times and always wonder what they could put there. something someone would want to spend money on. location is not really the greatest, so maybe a bad ass sports bar or something

Heck, if it's anything like where I live, throw some pulltab machines into that bad ass sports bar and you'd make more revenue than the stupid diner.

When on the Joy in 2019, the Diner had a small breakfast area with mostly sandwiches and such.  Limited but nice.  Not sure if they still do this today.

We ate there once, just to give it a go.  It wasn't super expensive so we didn't care, thought it was similar to a Red Robin or Applebee's type restaurant.  

I think why it is also pretty dead is that it is an open space, so on any itinerary that is super hot or cold, this place isn't ideal.  

2 hours ago, weltek said:

If revenue is the point, they need to ditch this place immediately and put in something else that people WANT to spend money on. 

Totally agree.

I can't believe with all of the imagination they have put into designing the Prima that there is no one at NCL with a decent idea of what to do with the American Diner space🙄

On 8/29/2022 at 1:00 PM, quillwercruisers said:

Like has been said, the times we have been the only time we saw people there was on embarkation day when it was free for Haven guests. 

Were they actually very particular about just Haven guests?

Thanks

I don’t see the appeal of a pay restaurant that has food similar to a free venue, unless it is light years better. I’d love to see a concept, either free or pay (I don’t care, I’ll pay for really good food), that isn’t already repeated. Sports bar-kind of have that with O’Sheehans. Tex Mex/Mexican-have that with Los Lobos (doubt NCL would take away business from that by creating a free option). I’d love to see a Cuban place- Cuban sandwiches, black beans and rice, guava pastries at breakfast, empanadas, meduros, etc.

when I sailed the Breakaway back in January it was always dead.  I ate there once for lunch just to try it.  It was just me and like 5 servers.  I had attributed it to the ship only being 1/3 full, but i guess that is wrong based on all the comments.  I would not pay to eat there again.

Edited by bstel

It's there mainly because it had to replace the margaritaville on some ships of this class.
Honestly it's the best burger I had on ship (I forget if it was the Bliss or the Joy) and they do a full nacho plate with better options than OSheehan's/Local...

13 hours ago, deliver42 said:

It's no different than Margueritaville on the Escape. That was always empty too.

at least with Margaritaville, jimmy buffet paid NCL to put it in there. (i think)
So nCL didnt care if it was empty.

dont think anyone paid ncl to put American diner on the ship.

All those servers must been bored out of their minds.