Sky Princess - Covid alert today

ghstudio

Day 10 of our 14 day cruise in Norway.  Captain announced that covid cases are increasing, so wear masks, avoid crowds, etc.  I did not see many reaching for their masks….and doubt that they will. Maybe 10% are wearing masks….likely closer to. 5%.  Even with a mask, it’s hard to be comfortable with 10 others not wearing masks….  All Princess staff have been wearing masks since the cruise started which is good (in our opinion).

We’’ll spend more time hiding on our balcony…..but Covid is not over on cruise ships.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 7

2 hours ago, ghstudio said:

Day 10 of our 14 day cruise in Norway.  Captain announced that covid cases are increasing, so wear masks, avoid crowds, etc.  I did not see many reaching for their masks….and doubt that they will. Maybe 10% are wearing masks….likely closer to. 5%.  Even with a mask, it’s hard to be comfortable with 10 others not wearing masks….  All Princess staff have been wearing masks since the cruise started which is good (in our opinion).

We’’ll spend more time hiding on our balcony…..but Covid is not over on cruise ships.

Their ship Their rules!  I’d be on our  balcony more too. 

Stay safe on there.

Who’s the Captain?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Of course, we don’t know numbers of cases….but now 2 hours from the announcement at noon, I’d say 40% have suddenly found their masks.   30% are actually wearing them correctly…..others are wearing chin straps.

• Like 6
  • Haha 8

When this happened on the Emerald last cruise, they sent out a note to each stateroom indicating masks (that were recommended) were now required in all indoor spaces and crowded areas. I was quite surprised that there seemed to be about 90% compliance the first day....though it did drop some as each day went by..... Did they send out a note requiring them?

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, ghstudio said:

Of course, we don’t know numbers of cases….but now 2 hours from the announcement at noon, I’d say 40% have suddenly found their masks.   30% are actually wearing them correctly…..others are wearing chin straps.

Hello

we're on the same cruise  that's what we noticed as well.   Prior to the announcement, barely more than 5% of passengers wearing masks (we wear ours!).   Crew all masked all the time.

Right after the announcement, wow! the masks really came out, what we saw strolling around the piazza looked like 40-50%.

Mary

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, ghstudio said:

but Covid is not over on cruise ships

Covid is not over anywhere, nor will it ever be.   Unfortunately, the cases that happen on cruise ships seem to be the ones that people/the media focus on.   

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, BabySarge said:

Covid is not over anywhere, nor will it ever be.   Unfortunately, the cases that happen on cruise ships seem to be the ones that people/the media focus on.   

People who get all worked up about covid on cruise ships should wear an N95 from the time they step out the door for the cruise until they get back home.  Covid is everywhere, such as on that airplane, train, bus, taxi, hotel, airport terminal, port terminal, and on the ship.  If they are truly concerned about catching covid, they shouldn't be selective about where they wear a mask - unless they just like to clutch their pearls and virtue signal.

I'm vaxxed and boosted and couldn't care less what those around me do as far as masking.

• Like 14

1 hour ago, BabySarge said:

When you are on a cruise or reading cruise critic which is about cruising….you are correct….the posters and readers here are focused on Covid on cruise ships……..

• Like 3

ghstudio

I am sorry to hear about your Covid alert.   As others have said this could be just a few cases.  I hope so.

We are joining on Saturday and i expect quite a few of those onboard now will be doing the next 14 /21 days as well.   Are you staying on?

Thank you for updating us.

1 hour ago, BabySarge said:

Naturally the people on Cruise Critic focus on cases on board; cruising is why we’re here. I do agree that media does love to focus, sensationalize covid on cruise ships.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, ghstudio said:

When you are on a cruise or reading cruise critic which is about cruising….you are correct….the posters and readers here are focused on Covid on cruise ships……..

Please stay safe, try to enjoy the rest of your cruise.

4 hours ago, ghstudio said:

Covid isn't going away. Its part of life now, but for the most part, its like a bad flu for some, a minor cold for others. To be honest, I wouldn't be concerned about getting Covid, just wound't want to get sick . 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, ghstudio said:

3 hours ago, D&L Thomas said:

On Caribbean Princess, same story. Mask wearing increased some after the Captain requested it, but it’s less than half.

2 hours ago, Mary loves to travel said:

Hello

we're on the same cruise  that's what we noticed as well.   Prior to the announcement, barely more than 5% of passengers wearing masks (we wear ours!).   Crew all masked all the time.

Right after the announcement, wow! the masks really came out, what we saw strolling around the piazza looked like 40-50%.

Just curious... on your cruises, were you given mask(s) on boarding?  And if so, what quantity and general type (cloth, surgical, KN95, N95)?

I also wonder about how many are bringing masks onboard these days, but I won't ask about that.

I would guess that Princess, the Captain, would hold off on making any kind of announcement like that until it was clear that there were numerous cases spreading.    Maybe isolation area getting more full.

I would be trying to avoid more crowded areas, as I think that is where the biggest risk of any airborne type of thing.   Stay Well!!!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Were they are really requiring and not suggesting that you wear a mask.  If this is true and people were ignoring the order were there any negative consequences to the people who ignored the order?  If there were not any negative consequences why did they even make the announcement.

It is sort of like when they make a mandatory evacuation order when a wild fire (btw - has anyone ever seen a tame fire in a wilderness area - just asking) occurs and half the peopple ignore the order but cry to be rescued when bad things happen in their area.

DON

I'm on the same trip and not wearing a mask, nor do I intend to. I booked the trip accepting COVID as a risk, as I do when I go in any crowded environmental. It's now endemic. Having had it once, I know it can make me feel pretty rough, but the days of it having a significant risk of serious harm are gone, provided your vaccinated.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, FLAlaska said:

Covid isn't going away. Its part of life now, but for the most part, its like a bad flu for some, a minor cold for others. To be honest, I wouldn't be concerned about getting Covid, just wound't want to get sick . 

The problem is that getting COVID can be horribly disruptive to travel plans even if you don’t get sick. I don’t want to be unable to travel or end up in quarantine.  

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, SargassoPirate said:

I'm vaxxed and boosted and couldn't care less what those around me do as far as masking.

IMO you actually SHOULD CARE.  I also am double vaxxed and boosted.  I cruised on Discovery July 31st sailing.  I wore my mask some of the time, not always, I did attempt to avoid crowded placed and properly social distance.  My issue was mainly the elevators.  People ignored the signs.  I may have stepped into an empty or near empty elevator, people pushed/crowded in even when seemingly full.  So by the time I got to my floor it was like sardines.  On Thursday/Day 4 after I disembarked I tested POSITIVE for Covid.  I had mild symptoms, likely because I am double vaxxed and boosted.  I did my isolation and tested negative on day 14 on home test kit.  On my way today to have a PCR test.  It can happen to you, just sayin' 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, hpeabody said:

IMO you actually SHOULD CARE.  I also am double vaxxed and boosted.  I cruised on Discovery July 31st sailing.  I wore my mask some of the time, not always, I did attempt to avoid crowded placed and properly social distance.  My issue was mainly the elevators.  People ignored the signs.  I may have stepped into an empty or near empty elevator, people pushed/crowded in even when seemingly full.  So by the time I got to my floor it was like sardines.  On Thursday/Day 4 after I disembarked I tested POSITIVE for Covid.  I had mild symptoms, likely because I am double vaxxed and boosted.  I did my isolation and tested negative on day 14 on home test kit.  On my way today to have a PCR test.  It can happen to you, just sayin' 

Agree with everything you are saying.

It happened to me and 4 of my family members while on the Ruby earlier this summer and two days after getting off the ship.  It is not just like a cold if you get it contrary to what some people on CC always promote.  Two family members were quarantined on the ship in separate cabins and the rest of us dealt with it afterwards.

Cruise ships get focused on because they quarantine people and provide little or no medical care other than isolation.   Usually this is happening on cruises of 10 days or longer.

It may be here to stay but it is evolving and we have not come close to beating the virus.  Sail on.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Could those onboard please just update us with actual information . 
Surely no one needs to hear the same points we’ve all heard for two years.

At the end of the day we can all make our own personal decisions- and we will!

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Traderboy said:

Could those onboard please just update us with actual information . 
Surely no one needs to hear the same points we’ve all heard for two years.

At the end of the day we can all make our own personal decisions- and we will!

Agree.  Someone on the ship could let us know what the Captain said in the announcement.  Often such announcements are followed by a written letter to staterooms as not everyone hears announcements.  Very simple - was the word "required" used, or was the word "recommended" used?  or synonyms of these.  Without that, we are just back to the mask fans telling everyone else to mask up and the rest happy to make a personal choice.

• Like 3