Roundtrip airfare to Vancouver

endoellen

I'm looking at booking an Alaskan cruise in May 2023 & the better itineraries seem to be out of Vancouver or Alaska vs Seattle.  Of course, the air prices are

better roundtrip from Houston, TX to Seattle & I'm not finding good times roundtrip for Vancouver, plus the cost is substantially higher. To find any decent flights it looks like I may have to book one way with 2 different airlines.  Any suggestions would be appreciated! How far in advance do you normally book your airfare?  Maybe I'm looking too far ahead??  Just like everything else, airfare has increased dramatically!

Just now, endoellen said:

I'm looking at booking an Alaskan cruise in May 2023 & the better itineraries seem to be out of Vancouver or Alaska vs Seattle.  Of course, the air prices are

better roundtrip from Houston, TX to Seattle & I'm not finding good times roundtrip for Vancouver, plus the cost is substantially higher. To find any decent flights it looks like I may have to book one way with 2 different airlines.  Any suggestions would be appreciated! How far in advance do you normally book your airfare?  Maybe I'm looking too far ahead??  Just like everything else, airfare has increased dramatically!

We’re booked on 14night return Vancouver 6-20 may, and flying in from Australia. Planning to arrive 1 may and stay Vancouver for the 5 nights and explore from there. Building a list of must do’s with a trip to Victoria for buchart gardens top of my list.

also looking for hotel recommendations, particularly best area etc.

you can book flight up to year ahead, so I’m watching flight prices currently 

On 8/30/2022 at 2:57 PM, FLHugh said:

There are 6 Terminals that they could use so it could be somewhat different depending on which Terminal they are assigned.  In General, parking is a short walk from the parking area.  You will be directed to drop your luggage at the front of the terminal.  And then park.  FYI, park on a low a floor as you can find.  I once parked on the top floor and had to wait over an hour to get to the Ticket Booth as all the cars on the lower floors were in front of me.  

12 hours ago, Cbtours said:

We’re booked on 14night return Vancouver 6-20 may, and flying in from Australia. Planning to arrive 1 may and stay Vancouver for the 5 nights and explore from there. Building a list of must do’s with a trip to Victoria for buchart gardens top of my list.

also looking for hotel recommendations, particularly best area etc.

you can book flight up to year ahead, so I’m watching flight prices currently 

i book round trip to Vancouver the 1st day the flight opened up for our May trip. I have to admit they were an arm and leg, but I wanted certainly flights (due to Covid testing) and certain seats.  I also wanted to avoided Seattle due crime issue.  We will arrive 2day prior to cruise.  Yup I too, hope testing goes away.

There is always the option of flying to Seattle and taking a bus or train over the border.....though that is adding one more step of traveling, which is not the ideal situation.  Our airfare into Fairbanks and out of Victoria is VERY EXPENSIVE (though Victoria is actually similar cost to Vancouver), but for a 1 way cruise, what can you do?  The cruise itinerary is worth it though, and being able to visit Denali before the trip is our bonus.  

Don't limit yourself looking at roundtrips when two one-way tickets could be cheaper.

In Aug 2021 I bought four one-ways DAY-ORD-YVR for $196.28 a ticket.

In Dec 2021 I bought four one-ways YVR-SEA-CVG for $221.43 a ticket.

So $417.71 per person.  Every time I looked for roundtrips it was closer to $700.  Having said that, today is the first day I'm able to book for my summer 2023 dates, and Air Canada is showing roundtrips CMH-YYZ-YVR for $514 per person.  I might be buying today!

• Like 1

On our 2017 cruise from Vancouver to Seward, we booked American to Vancouver and Delta returning from Anchorage. It was much cheaper than booking round-trip on one airline. We use the Hopper app which allows you to track prices and give suggestions on when to book for the best price.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Kathscof said:

There is always the option of flying to Seattle and taking a bus or train over the border.....though that is adding one more step of traveling, which is not the ideal situation.  Our airfare into Fairbanks and out of Victoria is VERY EXPENSIVE (though Victoria is actually similar cost to Vancouver), but for a 1 way cruise, what can you do?  The cruise itinerary is worth it though, and being able to visit Denali before the trip is our bonus.  

That is what we did when we arrived at Canada Place and flew out of SeaTac.  Bus pickup is right at Canada Place and drop off is right at one of the SeaTac terminals.  I forget the price but it was very reasonable.

DON

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jacobs Ema said:

I would happily pay more as to never fly into or out of canada again. Will NEVER  fly air canada again, and if Vancouver or Toronto are on the itinerary in any form…port, fly in, fly out then that’s an automatic no.

So, can you elaborate more on why you disliked Air Canada?  We've never flown with them so I appreciate your comment....

• Like 1

Have a look at getting an Alaska Airlines Visa card, which will give you something like 40,000 frequent flyer miles (Alaska's is a very good program) but will also get you an annual companion certificate with which one traveler pays the going price while the "companion" pays $99 plus taxes and fees, usually making the total cost $121 or $122.  So if a round trip to Vancouver on Alaska (connecting in Seattle) costs, say, $600 for one, the price for two is $722, or $361 each.  You get a new certificate the next year and so on, plus the miles can add up, possibly allowing additional travel without out-of-pocket cost.  Alaska flies all over the country (including New Orleans if that's closer than Houston) as well as to Mexico, Canada and Hawaii.  Just a suggestion.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Gardyloo said:

Have a look at getting an Alaska Airlines Visa card, which will give you something like 40,000 frequent flyer miles (Alaska's is a very good program) but will also get you an annual companion certificate with which one traveler pays the going price while the "companion" pays $99 plus taxes and fees, usually making the total cost $121 or $122.  So if a round trip to Vancouver on Alaska (connecting in Seattle) costs, say, $600 for one, the price for two is $722, or $361 each.  You get a new certificate the next year and so on, plus the miles can add up, possibly allowing additional travel without out-of-pocket cost.  Alaska flies all over the country (including New Orleans if that's closer than Houston) as well as to Mexico, Canada and Hawaii.  Just a suggestion.

Thanks for info.  I will check this out.  It's a little further to New Orleans for us but not a deal breaker and it's an easier airport to get in & out of than IAH.

We have done a lot of flying over the years (have been to almost 100 countries).  Air Canada is a favorite of ours.  Once took them, in business class, from Toronto to Dubai and it literally was one of the most comfortable flights we ever had.  Slept about 5-6 hours and I NEVER do that.  Just flew them the other day from Montreal to Detroit and it was fine - polite staff and on time.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Jacobs Ema said:

I would happily pay more as to never fly into or out of canada again. Will NEVER  fly air canada again, and if Vancouver or Toronto are on the itinerary in any form…port, fly in, fly out then that’s an automatic no.

We've flown Air Canada a couple of times and have no concerns about booking with them. Actually I booked our extended family on this carrier (several months ago) for our Alaska cruise in two weeks LAX-YVR.. Great flight times, seating and price point for the six of us.

Sounds like you must have had a bad experience and that can happen on any carrier.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, endoellen said:

I would book two one-way flights.  There is no advantage to round trip and you get more choice.  

The two major Canadian airlines are WestJet and Air Canada.  You may want to look at their websites in addition to the major US airlines.  

You also have the option of flying into Seattle or Bellingham airport.  There is Amtrak rail service from downtown Seattle to Vancouver.  Bus service is also available from both Seattle and Bellingham airport.  

Other thing to mention is both Canadian airlines and the airports dramatically reduced staff at the height of COVID.  Travel volumes came back much more quickly at the start of summer than the industry was expecting and planning for.  The airlines and airports had to ramp up staff very quickly at the start of the summer and it shows.  They are getting back to normal and it should be all worked out before next year.

Edited by em-sk

6 hours ago, Kathscof said:

If you have the time, there is high speed catamaran ferry service from downtown Victoria to downtown Seattle.  Despite the fact it is a relatively fast ship, it does take several hours.  Otherwise a pleasant ferry ride.  

13 hours ago, em-sk said:

If you have the time, there is high speed catamaran ferry service from downtown Victoria to downtown Seattle.  Despite the fact it is a relatively fast ship, it does take several hours.  Otherwise a pleasant ferry ride.  

Nope, no time, we are taking the connector bus/ferry from Canada Place to downtown Victoria to do the gardens and explore for 1.5 days before leaving Sunday morning....but the ferry from Vancouver to Victoria seems neat!

I am also watching airfare for our Alaska cruise next August.  We fly into Fairbanks (from DFW) taking a Southbound cruise to Vancouver.....I agree the airfare is crazy high.  I will check into the one-way fares, Thank you for the suggestion.  I usually fly American but noticed Alaska is quite a bit cheaper.

5 minutes ago, TSUmom said:

I usually fly American but noticed Alaska is quite a bit cheaper.

I, too, am an AA loyalist, but if I have the opportunity to take Alaska (AS), I often do as I have had very good experiences with them. Also, while the relationship between AA and AS has been tight for years, they are not a full member of OneWorld. 

Just now, Zach1213 said:

I, too, am an AA loyalist, but if I have the opportunity to take Alaska (AS), I often do as I have had very good experiences with them. Also, while the relationship between AA and AS has been tight for years, they are not a full member of OneWorld. 

We flew Alaska in 2012 and were pleased with them.  We flew from DFW to SEA to Honolulu for 1/2 of what American wanted.

43 minutes ago, Zach1213 said:

They are now.  Check your data, Zach.

20 hours ago, TSUmom said:

I am also watching airfare for our Alaska cruise next August.  We fly into Fairbanks (from DFW) taking a Southbound cruise to Vancouver.....I agree the airfare is crazy high.  I will check into the one-way fares, Thank you for the suggestion.  I usually fly American but noticed Alaska is quite a bit cheaper.

We took American to Anchorage, Alaska and out of Vancouver this last year, but for next year we are flying into Fairbanks, and MAN it’s high.....we are taking Alaska up and WestJet/Delta back from Victoria next year....

1 hour ago, Kathscof said:

We took American to Anchorage, Alaska and out of Vancouver this last year, but for next year we are flying into Fairbanks, and MAN it’s high.....we are taking Alaska up and WestJet/Delta back from Victoria next year....

We always use American but the flights right now are more than they were for our flights to Italy a few years back.  I plan on watching since I have nearly a year.  I looked at using miles but I don't have near enough.....

I'm hoping to take an Alaska cruise again in the future, and I would recommend anyone depart from Vancouver over Seattle. Otherwise, the ship makes a quick stop at Victoria to satisfy the foreign port requirement of the cruise.

The nice part of YVR is that it is one of the "foreign" airports that has you passing through US Customs prior to boarding the flight, effectively making it a domestic flight. The bad part is if you have a departure from gate E90-E96 which has you making a trek to a small satellite terminal.