Check your final bill and watch out for that minibar!

sunviking90

I know this has been discussed before, but I just wanted to remind people to watch out for unwarranted minibar charges. This happened to me years ago, and we used to have them clear it out for us, but I guess I got lazy and sure enough we have $35 in minibar charges on our final bill for our cruise which ended Wednesday. We didn’t take anything out of it, but rearranged things to fit in my birthday cake. I have now been on hold for 1 hour and 35 minutes with HAL. Ugh! I think in future, I might demand that the bar people check the minibar while I’m there before we disembark.

• Like 3

They used to suggest that you call guest services and ask them to clear out the mini  bar.  I’ve been on hold many, many times to find out my request has not been honoured.  Usually I end up piling it up somewhere and putting a note on it.  What I may try next time is requesting it through the app once on the ship.

I have never cleared out our mini bar and only once were we charged.  I simply emailed HAL and they sent me the tally for the last day, I told them what we didn’t have and they credited me back - no problem.  What I do do now, is take a pic, so that when we leave the mini bar is the same set up as they had it.  No issues and only take a minute.

DH often made use of it in the late evening on occasion and with the mariner discount why not?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

52 minutes ago, kazu said:

I have never cleared out our mini bar and only once were we charged.  I simply emailed HAL and they sent me the tally for the last day, I told them what we didn’t have and they credited me back - no problem.  What I do do now, is take a pic, so that when we leave the mini bar is the same set up as they had it.  No issues and only take a minute.

DH often made use of it in the late evening on occasion and with the mariner discount why not?

Great idea - photos before and after.  Great proof if needed

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, DaveOKC said:

Great idea - photos before and after.  Great proof if needed

LOL - Admittedly,  I didn’t take it as proof (and was never asked for it) - just so I could re-arrange it as they had it to make the ‘checking’ easier on them and avoid errors.  It seems if you put it back (we always mess it up fitting things in) as it was it avoids a LOT of confusion.  JME though.

But, it would be great proof indeed 😉 

Well, I finally got through after 2 hours and 10 minutes! Gosh, it’s great to be newly retired so I have time for these things! She was very nice, corrected it for me and said it happens all the time, even when people request to have the minibar emptied. Next time, I am not disembarking until I have seen the bar person do the count for our minibar. 

Edited by sunviking90
  • Like 2

49 minutes ago, sunviking90 said:

Well, I finally got through after 2 hours and 10 minutes! Gosh, it’s great to be newly retired so I have time for these things! She was very nice, corrected it for me and said it happens all the time, even when people request to have the minibar emptied. Next time, I am not disembarking until I have seen the bar person do the count for our minibar. 

Did this minibar charge appear only AFTER you got off the ship, or ended the particular cruise?  We always check our bill closely the day, night and even morning of disembarkation.  Just curious what to watch out for.  Thank you.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, 12cruise2 said:

Did this minibar charge appear only AFTER you got off the ship, or ended the particular cruise?  We always check our bill closely the day, night and even morning of disembarkation.  Just curious what to watch out for.  Thank you.

Yes, it appeared after we disembarked when the final statement appeared in the app. I checked it the morning we disembarked and it wasn’t there. The bar staff go into the staterooms the morning of disembarkation and check the minibars. When the customer service rep on the phone said it “happens all the time” it really makes me wonder how many people just don’t notice. 

Edited by sunviking90
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, sunviking90 said:

Yes, it appeared after we disembarked when the final statement appeared in the app. I checked it the morning we disembarked and it wasn’t there. The bar staff go into the staterooms the morning of disembarkation and check the minibars. 

Okay, I've been getting lazy, too.  We have been leaving everything as we found it when we embark, but I'll get back to having them clean it out I think.

7 hours ago, sunviking90 said:

Yes, it appeared after we disembarked when the final statement appeared in the app. I checked it the morning we disembarked and it wasn’t there. The bar staff go into the staterooms the morning of disembarkation and check the minibars. When the customer service rep on the phone said it “happens all the time” it really makes me wonder how many people just don’t notice. 

It happened to me as well.  Apparently I drank the whole mini bar because there was a large charge on my bill.  This was a number of years ago before I started emptying the bar out myself.

5 hours ago, Sallyandtex said:

I am wondering if it is possible to have it cleared prior to boarding?

Its always a nuisance having to take everything out when we never use the items.

It’s never worked for me even though I’ve given my room, reservation number and name.  They assure me it will be done but never is.

• Thanks 1

So, I called again yesterday, was on hold for 4 hours and this was the result: 

Dear Ms. ……..

Thank you for contacting us regarding your sailing on ms Zuiderdam. We are grateful that you have given us this opportunity to review your concerns regarding your onboard final statement.

Concerning the charges for the minibar, we have reached out to the ship. They have forwarded the below itemized receipt showing the min bar consumption as reported by Stateroom steward during final check after debarkation.

image.jpeg.f0aa98a40deabc33edc3fab65a66c032.jpeg

As per Holland America Line set standard, the charges show as accurate and will remain on your bill. Thank you again for contacting us with your concerns, and please feel free to follow up with any additional comments or questions.

Sincerely,

Dana Oliver

Special Advisor
Office of the President

Edited by sunviking90

Good reason to take a picture of the open mini fridge on your departure day. It will have a date and time stamp on it.

Of course, you could guzzle a few of the beverages after you take the picture as you're leaving the ship.

We’ve have had it happen on a couple of cruises and it’s just plain annoying having to phone after your cruise.  We’ve never used anything from the fridge.   After the first incident I started taking photos before & after.    I wish on your reservations you could check if you wanted the fridge empty or full.  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, sunviking90 said:

So, I called again yesterday, was on hold for 4 hours and this was the result: 

Dear Ms. ……..

Thank you for contacting us regarding your sailing on ms Zuiderdam. We are grateful that you have given us this opportunity to review your concerns regarding your onboard final statement.

Concerning the charges for the minibar, we have reached out to the ship. They have forwarded the below itemized receipt showing the min bar consumption as reported by Stateroom steward during final check after debarkation.

image.jpeg.f0aa98a40deabc33edc3fab65a66c032.jpeg

As per Holland America Line set standard, the charges show as accurate and will remain on your bill. Thank you again for contacting us with your concerns, and please feel free to follow up with any additional comments or questions.

Sincerely,

Dana Oliver

Special Advisor
Office of the President

WOW.  I am so sorry to see that response.  Sounds like one of their staff made off with some bevvies thinking you wouldn’t notice.  It’s not as if you’re going to stay on hold for hours to save $35.  It’s also a principle thing.  Their response is disappointing.

37 minutes ago, *Miss G* said:

WOW.  I am so sorry to see that response.  Sounds like one of their staff made off with some bevvies thinking you wouldn’t notice.  It’s not as if you’re going to stay on hold for hours to save $35.  It’s also a principle thing.  Their response is disappointing.

Thank you. It really does add insult to injury that they think I’m lying. I wasn’t expecting that at all. 

40 minutes ago, sunviking90 said:

Thank you. It really does add insult to injury that they think I’m lying. I wasn’t expecting that at all. 

Have you questioned your bill in the past?  If so, they may not be believing you (but I do of course).

1 minute ago, DaveOKC said:

Have you questioned your bill in the past?  If so, they may not be believing you (but I do of course).

I think we had this happen once about 10 years ago. A call to them easily fixed it. That’s the only time I ever questioned a bill. After that we started to request to have it cleared when we got to the cabin, but first HAL cruise since the pandemic and my guard was down I guess.

In our nearly 30 cruises, on various lines, we have been "dinged" often for a minibar charge AFTER THE FACT (having never ONCE consumed anything from the minibar!)  It is an enormous hassle!

Yours, however, is egregious.  Please fight this charge further!

• Like 1