Pre and post cruise restaurants in New York City

AACJ

What are your favorite pre and post cruise restaurants to go to while in New York City and why?  We initially wanted to experience pizza, dim sum, bagels, and a deli or two but feel like we have the time to venture out.  So post anything, we are up for a challenge!

1 minute ago, markeb said:

Price point? How long are you in the city?

Nothing high end.  I am thinking Chinese food or pizza or some place we can get in and out relatively quickly, but no chains.  Something that screams New York! 

Timing is morning to early afternoon, for both pre and post cruise.

Assuming Midtown, a couple of suggestions.

Pizza is a religion. All pizza recommendations are rooted in deeply held beliefs. Except in Brooklyn, where everyone KNOWS their favorite pizza place is the best pizza...

For a nice sit down pizza, my preference for years has been John's, now John's of Times Square (there was apparently a messy divorce...). 44th between Broadway and 8th Avenue. It's a former church, so it's huge. 

I've not done much if any Chinese. Are you game for Indian? We stumbled across Saar on our last trip. 51st, also between Broadway and 8th Avenue. Good mix of regions, and very good food. Huge servings, as usual. But worth checking out.

There are thousands of restaurants in Midtown alone, unfortunately...

My favorite restaurant in New York City is Becco , very reasonable priced Italian restaurant with a great reasonable wine list , dinner is about 35 and you can get a good bottle of wine for 35 also. This is located on restaurant row 46st between 8 and 9th ave , there are over a dozen different restaurants on this block . I love the original Peking duck restaurant in Chinatown, there also is one in midtown.

5 hours ago, AACJ said:

a deli or two

Katz's on the Lower East Side...for the atmosphere and history as much as the food.

Hint: They give you a ticket when you enter. Do not lose it of throw it away! Order a pastrami or corned beef or brisket or tongue sandwich the traditional Katz's way, at the counter, and then take your food to a table. The person at the counter who serves you will punch the price of your order on the ticket. You turn in the ticket to the cashier when you're paying . If you don't have the ticket you're going to suffer some financial pain.

Yes, you can be waited on at a table too. but you still need the ticket.

Nothing says "New York" like Katz's .

Edited by njhorseman
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, AACJ said:

bagels

Russ and Daughters on the Lower East Side. Traditional NY bagels, bialys, cream cheese varieties, lox and smoked salmon of many varieties, smoked fish.

Their little sit down cafe is on Orchard St. , their main store on East Houston St. a few steps from Katz's.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, George C said:

My favorite restaurant in New York City is Becco , very reasonable priced Italian restaurant with a great reasonable wine list , dinner is about 35 and you can get a good bottle of wine for 35 also. This is located on restaurant row 46st between 8 and 9th ave , there are over a dozen different restaurants on this block . I love the original Peking duck restaurant in Chinatown, there also is one in midtown.

Our Favorite is across the street called La Rivage. Great French Restaurant we use for decades before theater.

We decided to go cheap. Doing dollar slices (I guess now $1.50) the night before and some basic bagels cruise morning. There is a 2 Bros Pizza steps away from our hotel. Can’t wait!!

Will also take in the roof bar at our hotel. 

Edited by Razor_Poke
  • Like 1

If you are serious about New York flavor: Heidelberg - 1648 Second Avenue in old German Yorkville for German. Joe's Shanghai for Chinatown Chinese - 40 Bowery. Classic steakhouse - Gallagher's 228 West 52 St.  - for pizza -- do not waste your time in NYC (almost as dismal as Chicago) - go to New Haven, CT.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

If you are serious about New York flavor: Heidelberg - 1648 Second Avenue in old German Yorkville for German. Joe's Shanghai for Chinatown Chinese - 40 Bowery. Classic steakhouse - Gallagher's 228 West 52 St.  - for pizza -- do not waste your time in NYC (almost as dismal as Chicago) - go to New Haven, CT.

Gallagher’s is our go to bar , restaurant is a hundred years old and was a speakeasy, bartenders pour a great drink we go there daily for a nightcap, hotel we stay at is just a couple of blocks away. 
 One block from Gallagher’s is Ellen’s stardust diner which has a waitstaff of unemployed singers and dancers and they sing songs while waiting on tables, only problem is there is normally a line to get into the place. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

Classic steakhouse - Gallagher's 228 West 52 St.

20 minutes ago, George C said:

Gallagher’s is our go to bar , restaurant is a hundred years old and was a speakeasy, bartenders pour a great drink

Before my last trip to New York, I learned about Gallagher's and their history.  Also, learned that the bartenders were generous with their pours.  Decided on one of the nights I was there, I would dine at Gallagher's.  However, when I got to the restaurant that evening and saw through the window how other men were attired, I decided that I was too under dressed and would not feel comfortable in such an atmosphere.  Unfortunately, this was the last night before I sailed on QM2.  There has been a bit of regret ever since by not dining there.  No memory of where I had dinner that evening; must have been hum-drum.  

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

Before my last trip to New York, I learned about Gallagher's and their history.  Also, learned that the bartenders were generous with their pours.  Decided on one of the nights I was there, I would dine at Gallagher's.  However, when I got to the restaurant that evening and saw through the window how other men were attired, I decided that I was too under dressed and would not feel comfortable in such an atmosphere.  Unfortunately, this was the last night before I sailed on QM2.  There has been a bit of regret ever since by not dining there.  No memory of where I had dinner that evening; must have been hum-drum.  

I have seen some famous people and sports reporters there , a couple of decades ago I was there in the afternoon and George C Scott was eating there I believe he was in a play at the time. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, George C said:

Gallagher’s is our go to bar , restaurant is a hundred years old and was a speakeasy, bartenders pour a great drink we go there daily for a nightcap, hotel we stay at is just a couple of blocks away. 

My go to in Dallas was always the Adolphus - great hotel with a couple of fun restaurants.

• Like 1

On 9/3/2022 at 9:28 PM, navybankerteacher said:

It’s just plain rude saying there are no decent pizza places in NYC plus not helpful. New Yorkers live on pizza and 99% of them have never set foot in New Haven, CT. 

• Like 1