Covid positive after cruise

Jadesmom69

On 9/4/2022 at 12:38 AM, Cruisin Around said:

Definitely not saying that you should (or shouldn't), but I'm just curious about those testing positive - is anyone wearing masks or is it pretty much no precautionary protocols?  Again, not saying anyone is right or wrong.  We plan on masking next month and most likely staying out of crowded shows.  Wondering if this might keep us pretty safe (definitely not without risk) or if people are getting covid even with masking.  Thanks!  

I'm DONE masking and I did test positive three days after disembarking Indy. I'm fully vaccinated and boosted and I am old but I did not bother to mask anywhere on the ship. I felt confident enough that I would not get very sick so I even got in crowded elevators at times.

I tested positive and hubby tested negative three days after disembarking the ship. I tested negative on day 11 after symptoms started and hubby remained negative the entire time. I did not isolate from hubby in our home. My symptoms were so minor, most people probably wouldn't have even tested for Covid.

Agree this virus is endemic now.

• Like 3

On 9/4/2022 at 9:06 AM, smokeybandit said:

It's basically no different than it was pre-covid, just now people feel compelled to get tested than just say "oh I got a cold, oh well"

You are so right about that. With all the home tests that are available now, why not test? Medicare insurance pays 100% for eight tests per month but I'm not sure what private insurance covers for Covid tests.

3 hours ago, kidz_rn said:

I sure hope you get the right "germs" to help with your immunity and not the wrong ones ☺️

Funny thing about immunities.  I have been told several times in my adult life that getting the Hong Kong flu in 1968 probably did very good things for my immunities.  Sooooooooo sick!!!  Only good thing out of that is I looked amazing in my wedding dress 6 months later, because I was STILL underweight.

Fast a little bit forward, add two breastfed children to the family, and I find out that my sons are having similar experiences with viruses as me:  one was stuck in a large extended family epidemic of norovirus last Christmas.  As he put it:  "I'm the last one standing". He also told me once that at the end of the world, it was going to be him and the cockroaches:  he doesn't get sick. Other son in 2020 was super-exposed to (as someone put it, "original recipe" COVID).  Like coughing-in-his-face-while-sick-with-COVID close. Not a sniffle.

I had original recipe COVID, too, in late January 2020.  Pneumonia.  Took 4 months to recover.  Nothing since.

So, I guess my immunities did some good, but OMG what I went through to get them (and pass them on).  Nope.  Been there twice; done that; don't wanna do it again.  Mask-on.

• Like 2

On 9/4/2022 at 11:30 AM, moposh said:

My daughter tested positive after cruise.  It had to be the cruise she got it from.  We did not fly and she was only around me and my mother (who did not cruise).  I tested negative, fortunately.  She was off school a few days.  She has now tested negative.  She wasn't too bad as she has had vaccines and booster.  We did see the doctor, but not too much they can do.

I too wondered how many people tested positive.

I guess it's a chance you take.  Everyone has to test negative to board.  I don't know if it was someone we interacted with at the port (Bermuda).  We had a good time on the cruise and fortunately she wasn't too bad.  I actually think she milked it a bit to get off from school.  

No need to "milk" anything. If an individual tests positive, that person must not be out in public for 5 days if no symptoms and 10 days if they do have symptoms. Those are the current CDC guidelines if anyone tests positive.

• Haha 1

On 9/4/2022 at 11:30 AM, moposh said:

My daughter tested positive after cruise.  It had to be the cruise she got it from.  We did not fly and she was only around me and my mother (who did not cruise).  I tested negative, fortunately.  She was off school a few days.  She has now tested negative.  She wasn't too bad as she has had vaccines and booster.  We did see the doctor, but not too much they can do.

I too wondered how many people tested positive.

I guess it's a chance you take.  Everyone has to test negative to board.  I don't know if it was someone we interacted with at the port (Bermuda).  We had a good time on the cruise and fortunately she wasn't too bad.  I actually think she milked it a bit to get off from school.  

No milking required. If a person tests positive, they are supposed to quarantine. There is more to the CDC guidelines, however.

On 9/4/2022 at 12:03 PM, FamilyCruiserUK said:

For my mum and nephew who caught covid both had seperate balcony cabins, had food in MDR and buffet and the outside snack areas. They only went to one show and spent evenings around ship, shops and the odd bar. 

when

My husband remained negative for Covid while I quarantined in the house because I tested positive after our Indy cruise. I did not isolate from him in the house and he tested negative every time I tested positive. When I finally had two negative tests 48 hours apart, hubby was still negative. We were in close contact the whole time in our home when I was testing positive. It does happen that way sometimes. Hubby may have been exposed to the virus, had an asymptomatic infection and did not know it and has antibodies to the variant I had. That is just a guess as to why he never did test positive.

On 9/4/2022 at 2:32 PM, GTO-Girl said:

In May we were on the Mariner the first week that masks became optional so of course 99% of us didn’t wear one.  Two days after getting home I tested positive for Covid.  Since we don’t fly we assume it was from the ship.

In July we boarded the Harmony and I wore my N95 mask while standing in the line for checkin, in the terminal, on elevators and anywhere I wasn’t going to be able to distance from others……. I did not get covid.

Maybe a coincidence or just lucky I am not sure, but we board the Harmony next Sunday and I will be bringing my N95’s again for sure!!!!😎😎

You have natural antibodies from being Covid positive in May. That isn't luck; that is your body protecting you from Covid.

• Like 1

On 9/4/2022 at 11:23 PM, pcur said:

It makes a difference IMO.  I have read most of this thread, and what's missing is no one seems to be saying they tested positive after wearing a mask in the airport, on the plane, inside the cruise ship, inside buildings in port, and rinse/repeat going home.

This is what I have done since mid-January to mid-May I have flown 18 times one way, with all trips having stopovers, so that's at least 3 airports in 9 roundtrips.  I was on 3 cruise ships for a total of 58 days, and two trips were to see family with small unvaccinated children the first trip.

I've taken 21 COVID tests between my personal ones and those provided by the ships on consecutive cruises.

Countless ports and inside venues.  Exposure to literally thousands of people.

So, that's an complete inventory of my exposure, which was very high.  

All COVID tests were negative (double vaxxed and double boosted).

The difference from the people getting COVID?  I consistently wore a mask. Outside, no.  With known other passengers who were vaccinated, no.  Mostly vaccinated family members, no.  

To me it's just a basic policy:  if I'm inside somewhere with strangers who I don't KNOW they've been vaccinated (having a lower possibility of contracting the virus; NOT immune), then I wear a mask.  When I fly I never take it off except to eat or drink. I put it on when I walk in the airport, and take it off when I walk into my hotel room or get in my family's car.

My point is if one is not consistent, then one is exposed.  I finally found that I could fly and NOT come down with a respiratory infection:  something that happened almost 100% of the time before I wore masks.

Just an explanation; just my opinion; everyone should make their own decisions.  I just don't like being sick.  Period. 

As I have already said, I'm DONE with masking unless I am in a facility that requires masks. I have been wanting to be exposed to this latest variant so I could develop natural antibodies. I'm fully vaccinated and double boosted and I knew I would not become very ill. This latest variant is not virulent like the original strain and the Delta variant......no where near it, especially if an individual is vaccinated.

I'm living life normally now,  no masks for me. Oh......my symptoms were a sore throat that lasted about 15 minutes. THAT is what alerted me to test after disembarking Indy. Then I had a dry cough very occasionally. That was it for my symptoms. Oh....forgot to say I had a low grade temp of 100.4 for about an hour that subsided after I took Tylenol and I was not febrile after that one dose. The common cold can be much worse than what I experienced with Covid. I'm old too.

2 minutes ago, coffeebean said:

As I have already said, I'm DONE with masking unless I am in a facility that requires masks. I have been wanting to be exposed to this latest variant so I could develop natural antibodies. I'm fully vaccinated and double boosted and I knew I would not become very ill. This latest variant is not virulent like the original strain and the Delta variant......no where near it, especially if an individual is vaccinated.

I'm living life normally now,  no masks for me. Oh......my symptoms were a sore throat that lasted about 15 minutes. THAT is what alerted me to test after disembarking Indy. Then I had a dry cough very occasionally. That was it for my symptoms. Oh....forgot to say I had a low grade temp of 100.4 for about an hour that subsided after I took Tylenol and I was not febrile after that one dose. The common cold can be much worse than what I experienced with Covid. I'm old too.

For you.  But, what about the people around you that are unknowingly exposed?  Like I've posted before, my friend is double vaxxed and double boosted, and had COVID (pneumonia) for 3 weeks. It's those other people I'm concerned about being exposed.

• Like 3

On 9/5/2022 at 10:34 AM, lovescats5 said:

Why do we always have to hear about getting covid after a cruise.  Have people gotten covid after going to the grocery store, how about work.  You will get covid, if you are going to get it, where ever you are or where ever you have visited.  Cruise ships are no different.  First we complain about having to wear masks, then testing before a cruise, then not everyone wearing a mask although it is not required.  Covid is here to stay as is the cold or flu.  Can we just move on.  So tired of all this.  If you don't want to take a chance then stay home.  And no, I don't need a lot of judgemental people telling me what they think I need to do.  We will be on Quantum Sept. 19 and if we feel sick when we get home I can say we will not test.  Yea, I am one of those.

I surely hope, even though you won't test if you feel sick, that you do not go out in public. That is what quarantine is all about.

• Like 2

On 9/5/2022 at 10:45 AM, BND said:

You can't make that conclusion based on this thread.  When masks were mandatory, there were still people coming home with it from cruises, flights, etc.  I've also seen posts by people who wore masks and caught it.   As I said, we never wear masks and we haven't caught it in 5 cruises and 5 beach vacations where we eat out every meal.

Unless you test on a regular basis, you don't know if you have had an asymptomatic infection. So........you just MAY have already had Covid.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, pcur said:

For you.  But, what about the people around you that are unknowingly exposed?  Like I've posted before, my friend is double vaxxed and double boosted, and had COVID (pneumonia) for 3 weeks. It's those other people I'm concerned about being exposed.

If other people are concerned about being exposed they need to report to the basement and self isolate forever.

Had all the symptoms but did not test. Instead, went to the airport and flew to Las Vegas and went to a convention with 5000. Several at my table discussed covid symptoms we all had. LOL.

• Like 1

On 9/5/2022 at 1:28 PM, kidz_rn said:

Why do we look both ways before crossing a street? If you’re going to get hit, it doesn’t matter. 

You don’t say if you are vaxxed and boosted. 400 are still dying every day and thousands hospitalized — virtually all unvaccinated. If you are not, then good luck when you do get it. 

Kind of dumb at this point NOT to be vaccinated, IMHO.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 9/5/2022 at 1:46 PM, 3yorkies said:

Got off Allure on 8/28 after 8 days with 5780 others.   On the FB page for this cruise many many people tested positive within days of getting off, some the day they disembarked.    We were told there were 90 plus cases on board during the cruise.   I avoided it probably because vaxed and double boosted, only went into WJ once when few there, got a separate table in MDR, did not attend parades and other very crowded venues, sat on aisle at all shows, washed and sanitized hands regularly.  Just normal precautions IMHO.  I had a fun cruise and did not feel I missed out on anything taking these precautions.   It's my 7th cruise since the restart.   I have 3 more booked through early 2023.    I believe Royal is moving too fast just like all the others, but I also will do what I can to protect myself and won't stop cruising.    I think allowing unvaxed onboard is a mistake, as is not continuing to serve people in WJ, and eliminating the testing and resum9ing parades and other mass events onboard.   These are small things that can keep numbers down.   Cruises are by definition very densely populated venues for an extended period of time and they cannot be compared to going to the grocery store IMO.   I would prefer slowing down, but I know much of this is a financial decision for a very stressed industry, and I will live with their decisions.   If cases get too high onboard and start costing them too much, then I foresee them stepping back again.  

Number of cases on board is probably not their criteria. Number of patients who get very ill, requiring hospitalization and intensive care is what TPTB are looking at. I believe their largest mistake is allowing unvaccinated people on board. Those are the people who are at risk of severe disease. My opinion.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 9/5/2022 at 5:08 PM, pcur said:

I can see your point of view.  My situation is I am regularly around immune compromised people, and also friends that get sick for 3 weeks if they get COVID, even being vaxxed and boosted.  I do not want to give up these friendships, and my conscience won't let me take the chance of carrying the virus to them.  So, my answer is I get to travel and not get sick, and I get my friends and they don't get sick.  It's not just about me.

Why don't your vulnerable friends and family wear an N95 mask when around others who choose to live their lives normally again (that means no masking).

39 minutes ago, pcur said:

Those folks who are vulnerable, AKA, immunocompromised, are the ones who should be masked with N95 masks when around others. I have a healthy immune system so I will not ever be masking in public. I did, however, quarantine in my home for 10 days when I tested positive after my Indy cruise. I had two negative tests, 48 hours apart before I went out in public again.

On 9/3/2022 at 11:47 PM, Jadesmom69 said:

I just got off Explorer of the Seas last Sunday and had a great time, but starting feeling sick that morning and immediately tested positive for Covid within an hour of leaving the ship.  I understand this was the chance I took when cruising, but it seems like a good amount of other people also tested positive within a couple of days of leaving the ship.  I was wondering if people on other ships recently had a similar experience.  Thanks

We disembarked the Explorer back on August 14th.  5 out of the 8 of our family and 2 out of 4 in the family we were travelling with ended up with Covid.  3 of the 7 tested positive while on the cruise, the other 4 tested positive the day after disembarking.  It is out there.  4 in my family drove to Florida from Canada, and the other 4 flew from Detroit.  All 4 who flew ended up with Covid.  The other one who caught it who drove, stayed in the cabin with her twin sister, and likely caught it from her.  Therefore, I am guessing that the flight was where they picked it up, but there is no way to be sure.

What I do intend to post shortly, is another post that covers exactly how RCCL handled our situation of having multiple children in our family test positive during the cruise, just so others know what to expect if you test positive while on the cruise.  I also want people to be aware of how the reimbursement process from RCCL went, because I know many people who have symptoms on the ship and then refuse to report to medical for a test.  By no means was RCCL's handling of our situation perfect, but overall, I have been quite impressed with their response and reimbursement process.  There was an error in our refunds from our receipt submission, but they are in the process of correcting it currently.  

58 minutes ago, coffeebean said:

Unless you test on a regular basis, you don't know if you have had an asymptomatic infection. So........you just MAY have already had Covid.

Thanks Dr.  Geez.  I actually think you may have commented on every single poster on this thread.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, coffeebean said:

No need to "milk" anything. If an individual tests positive, that person must not be out in public for 5 days if no symptoms and 10 days if they do have symptoms. Those are the current CDC guidelines if anyone tests positive.

Not exactly,  CDC recommends you quarantine. Canada requires you to isolate.

2 hours ago, Russ Lomas said:

I also want people to be aware of how the reimbursement process from RCCL went, because I know many people who have symptoms on the ship and then refuse to report to medical for a test.  By no means was RCCL's handling of our situation perfect, but overall, I have been quite impressed with their response and reimbursement process.  

I believe the reimbursements have ended now.  If you test positive and get quarantined, you are just SOL.  

On 9/4/2022 at 11:23 PM, pcur said:

It makes a difference IMO.  I have read most of this thread, and what's missing is no one seems to be saying they tested positive after wearing a mask in the airport, on the plane, inside the cruise ship, inside buildings in port, and rinse/repeat going home.

This is what I have done since mid-January to mid-May I have flown 18 times one way, with all trips having stopovers, so that's at least 3 airports in 9 roundtrips.  I was on 3 cruise ships for a total of 58 days, and two trips were to see family with small unvaccinated children the first trip.

I've taken 21 COVID tests between my personal ones and those provided by the ships on consecutive cruises.

Countless ports and inside venues.  Exposure to literally thousands of people.

So, that's an complete inventory of my exposure, which was very high.  

All COVID tests were negative (double vaxxed and double boosted).

The difference from the people getting COVID?  I consistently wore a mask. Outside, no.  With known other passengers who were vaccinated, no.  Mostly vaccinated family members, no.  

To me it's just a basic policy:  if I'm inside somewhere with strangers who I don't KNOW they've been vaccinated (having a lower possibility of contracting the virus; NOT immune), then I wear a mask.  When I fly I never take it off except to eat or drink. I put it on when I walk in the airport, and take it off when I walk into my hotel room or get in my family's car.

My point is if one is not consistent, then one is exposed.  I finally found that I could fly and NOT come down with a respiratory infection:  something that happened almost 100% of the time before I wore masks.

Just an explanation; just my opinion; everyone should make their own decisions.  I just don't like being sick.  Period. 

This is a great post and mirrors exactly what I do. I cruised in late June, wore my mask in all indoor spaces (except to eat, with my friend who also masked the same way I did) and I did not get Covid. I have a b2b on Explorer in early November and will do the exact same thing. I don't find wearing a mask indoors a big deal - I wear one at malls and grocery stores at home anyways. At this point we all need to do what we are comfortable with, in order to stay safe.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 9/5/2022 at 10:45 AM, BND said:

You can't make that conclusion based on this thread.  When masks were mandatory, there were still people coming home with it from cruises, flights, etc.  I've also seen posts by people who wore masks and caught it.   As I said, we never wear masks and we haven't caught it in 5 cruises and 5 beach vacations where we eat out every meal.

There are some people who are just super immune - and you may be one of them! There are studies going on right now to determine why some people get covid and others just don't. My daughter got covid and during her most infectious days (the 24-48 hours before her positive test) we were in very close proximity (she lives with us) and we shared food and drink. I did not test positive.....some will get it, some won't......