How is the bidding system doing? Any comments?

Bwana Tom

2 hours ago, hpeabody said:

Thank you all for the replies. I have a better understanding now.   I am curious because it seems emails are being sent for both my upcoming cruises in Oct and Nov and I heard nothing from Princess and I do get emails from Princess not always via my TA.

I think you will always get the emails for the upcoming cruises you have booked.

However, I think these are called Marketing emails and you have to specifically allow them.

Check in your personalizer under My Profile. See the section called "Receive Offers and News". There you must specifically say "Yes" to Email. It will also result in them sending you other marketing emails about cruises that you haven't booked.

Hope that helps.

On 9/22/2022 at 9:23 PM, suzyed said:

Congrats!  How long is your cruise?

7 days.  I don't remember the bid range, but my bid was just above the lowest bid level and was considered weak.  Frankly, I was surprised that I got the upgrade.  Also, I ONLY bid on mini-suite; did ot bid on premium balcony.

On 9/24/2022 at 8:34 PM, Papa Yoda said:

How much did they want for the Sky Suite?  I got a bid invite for a Grand Suite, 15 day Hawaii for $1900 pp, PH was $475

PS It would take a hell of a deal to get us out of Vista

sky suite was $2585 per person.  Not worth it

20 hours ago, hpeabody said:

Thank you all for the replies. I have a better understanding now.   I am curious because it seems emails are being sent for both my upcoming cruises in Oct and Nov and I heard nothing from Princess and I do get emails from Princess not always via my TA.

I'm just wondering if booked through a TA, do accepted bids cut out the TA's commission on the new booking?  I understand it would keep the same booking number, but shouldn't the TA get a commission for the increased fare being paid?

40 minutes ago, Daniel A said:

I'm just wondering if booked through a TA, do accepted bids cut out the TA's commission on the new booking?  I understand it would keep the same booking number, but shouldn't the TA get a commission for the increased fare being paid?

In the web presentation they indicated the TAs would be compensated.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I put in 3 bids to upgrade from my inside GTY cabin on the Enchanted Princess 10/8.  On Saturday afternoon I received emails saying 2 bids had been rejected.  This left the third bid still open and I did receive the "Yay" email a couple of hours later.  The upgrade was to a Deluxe Obstructed Balcony which I am extremely happy with.  Even an obstructed view is wayyyyyy better than no view at all.  My bid was slightly above the minimum (just below the "fair" range IIRC)

One thing that was different about this process vs the bids I've won on RCL and Celebrity is that they did NOT charge my credit card.  I had to go to my cruise personalizer and actually put in a credit card and then got a new cruise confirm with the new cabin number.  I'm glad I checked because I simply assumed my card would be charged and I may have ignored this crucial step if I hadn't reread the email a second time.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

Hi.  We're on the Oct 15 Discovery CA Coastal.  I put 2 lo-ball bids on balcony cabins.  One deluxe and one premium deluxe.  I got an email saying the premium deluxe wasn't accepted.  Then, about half an hour later, I got an email saying the bid on the deluxe cabin was accepted.  Looks like it is a slightly bigger cabin.  We started on a BE, got a free upgrade to BA then, bid to a DA.

Get me on a ship, give me a gin and tonic, the sound, smells, feel and views of the ocean and I'm good.  Cheers

• Like 7

I got this info from my TA, when I asked if we were able to know the cabin location of the proposed upgrade before we accepted and paid for the bid. It sounds like we do. Can someone on this thread verify that this is what you received when your bid was accepted?

-------------------------------

With the bidding process, they start sending invites 5 days after final payment is due.  They have not said how they determine who gets an invite.  I did have  client recently place a bid and got the upgrade.  She was in a balcony and bid on a deluxe balcony and premium deluxe balcony.  Didn’t get either of those.  Then she decided to bid on a mini-suite and got that one.  We did get the cabin number once the bid was accepted.  On the confirmation it stated

“Thank you for participating in Princess Upgrade! Your bid has been accepted!

Please find your new stateroom number above. As a reminder stateroom location and amenities will depend on availability. We can't guarantee a specific stateroom location within the upgraded category.

A booking confirmation has been sent with the balance due, which includes the upgrade cost and any increase in Princess Vacation Protection if applicable. Please visit The Cruise Personalizer at www.princess.com, contact your Travel Advisor, or call (800) PRINCESS to provide payment.

Failure to provide payment within 48 hours will result in the cancellation of your upgrade and you will be returned to your original stateroom.

We look forward to welcoming you onboard!!”

So it sounds like if you don’t pay within 48 hours, they will give you your original cabin back.  But, when you make the bid, they ask for you credit card information.  A little confusing.  We did call in and accept the new cabin.

I have called in multiple times to ask about it, none of the agents could give me a straight answer, since it is so new.

---------------------------------------------------

• Thanks 1

On 9/25/2022 at 12:29 PM, cruzsnooze said:

No, your method of payment is already charged when they accept your bid. This bidding system wasn't designed for the passenger it was a win win for the company. If one could decline the new assignment then the whole system wouldn't work for Princess.

This what the email said confirming they received my bid. It seems you can Decline after they accept your bid.  But you won’t know the cabin number until you pay. For some categories, like M6, there are so few you kind of know where you’ll be. Others not so much. 

If I’m upgraded, then what?

• It's simple. You'll get an email from us with the good news up to 3 days before you sail, and then you'll pay for the accepted bid amount via one of the following methods:
    • Pay through your Cruise Personalizer at princess.com
    • Have your travel advisor pay through POLAR Online
    • Call our Contact Center at 1-800-Princess (774-6237)
  • You’ll see your new stateroom number when you log into your My Princess account. (It’s assigned based on availability.)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, HaveDogWillTravel said:

This what the email said confirming they received my bid. It seems you can Decline after they accept your bid.  But you won’t know the cabin number until you pay. For some categories, like M6, there are so few you kind of know where you’ll be. Others not so much. 

If I’m upgraded, then what?

• It's simple. You'll get an email from us with the good news up to 3 days before you sail, and then you'll pay for the accepted bid amount via one of the following methods:
    • Pay through your Cruise Personalizer at princess.com
    • Have your travel advisor pay through POLAR Online
    • Call our Contact Center at 1-800-Princess (774-6237)
  • You’ll see your new stateroom number when you log into your My Princess account. (It’s assigned based on availability.)

I was able to see my new cabin before I paid for it.  When I went to the cruise personalizer to input my credit card, the new cabin was already listed.  I don't know if this is always the case, but that's how it worked for me.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

1 minute ago, ellenh said:

I was able to see my new cabin before I paid for it.  When I went to the cruise personalizer to input my credit card, the new cabin was already listed.  I don't know if this is always the case, but that's how it worked for me.

Yep.  Exactly my experience.

• Like 3

On 9/25/2022 at 1:45 PM, hpeabody said:

Are "Bid" emails only sent to passengers that booked with Princess?  Has anyone heard if it is just random who gets them.  I know Princess has my email address, but are these going to our TA and it is up to the TA to forward to us.  Anyone know?  Just trying to figure this out

If you get an offer you will get an email directly and your TA will be copied.

2 hours ago, ellenh said:

Wow that’s awesome!  I really hope they make that SOP 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, ellenh said:

That’s good to know! I think that’ll make people more comfortable bidding.

On 9/26/2022 at 7:11 PM, Bemidji Ty said:

Get me on a ship, give me a gin and tonic, the sound, smells, feel and views of the ocean and I'm good.  Cheers

"All I need are some tasty waves, a cool buzz-- and I'm fine..." (Fast Times at Ridgemont High '82)  Jeff Spicoli 

Haven't submitted any bids yet -  not interested in mini's or cc mini's or window suite.  Vista suite, still not available is a minimum $485 pp for a 5 day cruise.  We're currently in a deluxe balcony - guess we'll just suffer through with the PLUS package

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

On 9/23/2022 at 6:09 PM, Therese S. said:

So after accepting our bid, I got to wonder why would anyone ever book a balcony (unless of course they have a particular cabin in mind) if you can place bids in the future?

we book a balcony if the price difference between inside and balcony is negligible and we book a particular balcony cabin at that. I hate aft balconies. When you bid, you have no power over location or actually ending up with the upgrade.

So I got an email from Princess stating that my bid was not accepted.  Which bid?  I bid on two cabins and this didn't give any indication of which of the two bids was not accepted?
So I went back to my bid emails and looked at my bids...one said "expired" next to the bid.  The other bid email said "pending" next to the bid.  So I was able to eliminate the "expired" one and wait on the other.
A few hours later I got an email from my TA with an updated invoice and then an email from Princess saying my bid was accepted with the cabin number listed!!
I was able to go on my Personalizer and pay the extra amount and was done!  YAY!  

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, suzyed said:

So I got an email from Princess stating that my bid was not accepted.  Which bid?  I bid on two cabins and this didn't give any indication of which of the two bids was not accepted?
So I went back to my bid emails and looked at my bids...one said "expired" next to the bid.  The other bid email said "pending" next to the bid.  So I was able to eliminate the "expired" one and wait on the other.
A few hours later I got an email from my TA with an updated invoice and then an email from Princess saying my bid was accepted with the cabin number listed!!
I was able to go on my Personalizer and pay the extra amount and was done!  YAY!  

Would you mind telling which cruise and what cabin category your bid was accepted?  I’m trying to learn how far out they are accepting bids from cruise date. TY

2 minutes ago, 1cruiselvr said:

Would you mind telling which cruise and what cabin category your bid was accepted?  I’m trying to learn how far out they are accepting bids from cruise date. TY

Sure!  Caribbean Princess 10/20, so about 22 days out.  Mini Suite!
This sailing has been showing "currently unavailable" for at least a month and I was told it was sold out....so you never know.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

TY. Our cruise is 53 days out. There many mini suites available but I didn’t bid on that category. The categories I did bid on are not available as of now. Since I have a D4 GTY, either I will be assigned a D4, upgraded to one of the open mini suites, or by a miracle get one of my bids on a sold out category accepted. I am happy with whatever happens. Time will tell.