Gluten Free on Anthem of the Seas

E&D2004

Hi all.  Wife, recently diagnosed celiac, and I are considering an Anthem of the Seas sailing.  I searched the boards and couldn't find much info.  What are the Gluten Free options?  MDR?  Specialty Restaurants?  Buffet?  Others?  Many thanks in advance.

There are quite a few options in the windjammer and also if you see the head waiter for your table they are very accommodating and will show you what they can do for you each night, he used to show my niece the menu the night before and they always came up with an option.

23 minutes ago, E&D2004 said:

Hi all.  Wife, recently diagnosed celiac, and I are considering an Anthem of the Seas sailing.  I searched the boards and couldn't find much info.  What are the Gluten Free options?  MDR?  Specialty Restaurants?  Buffet?  Others?  Many thanks in advance.

Read a few cruise reviews by @CatLadyFemme

You can also email the cruise line and let them know the needs you are looking for and it will be included in your information to help those serving you.

Just email: special_needs@rccl.com

Give them Guests name, booking number, ship name and sail date.

You don't need to contact special needs for gluten free. That diet can easily be accommodated just by visiting the MDR when you board and speaking with the head waiter to note you needs on your dining profile and just remind your waiter when you eat on the first night.

Windjammer will have a GF section. And never hesitate to ask if there's something you don't see (like GF bread). They have it.

Edited by smokeybandit

We cruised with my SIL who also has Celiac and a few others with food allergies.  They were EXTREMELY attentive.  The head waiter came over each night to review the menu for the next day and take any questions to the chef.  They even made her GF Cordon Bleu so she wouldn't have to miss out on a favorite when it was offered.  A friend with a honey sensitivity had ordered BBQ ribs as an ap night 1.  I told her she should check on that- and sure enough there was honey.  BUT the chef offered to make her a serving with out honey the next night if she wanted to try it and it was delivered.  She loved it.

They have every reason to want your vacation to be wonderful and like I said- our service was top notch.  This was several years ago and like other posters have mentioned, you can now find GF options outside of the main dining as well....

On 9/7/2022 at 6:18 PM, E&D2004 said:

I am gluten free.When I was on the Anthem in 2019 I was told by a Head Waiter that everything on the MDR menu can be made gluten free.I had to order the night before.

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/11/2022 at 8:29 AM, E&D2004 said:

Does Johnny Rockets have Gluten Free options?  Gf buns?  Dedicated fryer?

I cannot tell you specifically about Anthem but I have been to Johnny Rockets on Adventure and Allure. Both had gluten free buns. Both made me gluten free fries but it took longer than the regular ones because they had to fry them in another fryer. Also, I could get milkshakes gluten free on Adventure but not on Allure or Symphony. 

They have been really good at handling it and making sure you don't get glutened.

On 9/8/2022 at 8:30 PM, E&D2004 said:

Anybody have Gluten Free experience in specialty restaurants?  Especially Wonderland.  We loved it last time PC (pre celiac)

I have eaten at Chops, Jamie's Italian, Hooked, and Izumi without issue. Izumi (not Teppanyaki) was a lunch and had very limited options though. Dish I had was good though. Chops would be my favorite of all of those.

Does Anthem have French Fries that are GF, cooked in a separate fryer, that can be served in the dining room or in the windjammer?  Taking my granddaughter on a cruise and she needs  all GF. 

57 minutes ago, Dorh said:

Does Anthem have French Fries that are GF, cooked in a separate fryer, that can be served in the dining room or in the windjammer?  Taking my granddaughter on a cruise and she needs  all GF. 

Speak with the headwaiter 1st day and they will make sure you have what you need.  Also check with an officer in Windjammer.   Royal is very good about working with you on food issues.  Note that in WJ many items are labeled gluten free or vegan.

21 minutes ago, Dorh said:

Thank you.  Yes, we will speak to all to make sure she has a good dining experience.  

It's been a while since we've been on the Anthem but I recall gluten free area in the far back of WJ that made delicious crepes.  Don't need gf but loved the crepes!

• Like 1

When we were on Anthem last year , and any other Royal ship we have been on recently the soft serve ice cream has been gluten free.

Also the fries on Anthem in the windjammer were always gluten free with their own dedicated fryer. Same for Odyssey and Jewel , the 2 ships we have been on this year.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
On 9/8/2022 at 9:44 PM, lenquixote66 said:

I am gluten free.When I was on the Anthem in 2019 I was told by a Head Waiter that everything on the MDR menu can be made gluten free.I had to order the night before.

That attitude changed with the new menus.  We were on the Adventure at the end of February 2023.  I notified special needs and got the old letter, none of which was applicable.  The new menus do not indicate what is gluten free.  The poor waiter had to check on everything.  With classic items only appearing in rotation, the night the strip steak was on the menu, it was the only available GF item. I am allergic to beef, so I had to have just a baked potato and the broccoli and carrots. So many of the new menu items are more like casserole mixtures, loaded with gluten.   If dairy and gluten free, as I am, there was not one dessert available on the ship the entire cruise.  It was all either ice cream or a pudding of some sort or cheesecake.  I was told in Chops that even the sorbet was not Gluten free and the Caesar dressing was off limits as well, according to Chops, the MDR and Windjammer staff.  Lesson learned.  Bring some packaged GF dessert items and salad dressing packets.  Also, they offered Kellogs in the am and none of their cereals were GF.  I am allergic to eggs, so I had bacon and coffee. They used to be very accommodating, but no longer.  I hear Carnival has gone the other way and is even more attuned to food allergies than ever with interactive menu boards.  Right now we are deciding between a Carnival and an RCI cruise for our anniversary next year.  It is either lots of food choices and an iffy cruise on Carnival or a great suite experience on RCI, but with limited food.  

52 minutes ago, DebJ14 said:

That attitude changed with the new menus.  We were on the Adventure at the end of February 2023.  I notified special needs and got the old letter, none of which was applicable.  The new menus do not indicate what is gluten free.  The poor waiter had to check on everything.  With classic items only appearing in rotation, the night the strip steak was on the menu, it was the only available GF item. I am allergic to beef, so I had to have just a baked potato and the broccoli and carrots. So many of the new menu items are more like casserole mixtures, loaded with gluten.   If dairy and gluten free, as I am, there was not one dessert available on the ship the entire cruise.  It was all either ice cream or a pudding of some sort or cheesecake.  I was told in Chops that even the sorbet was not Gluten free and the Caesar dressing was off limits as well, according to Chops, the MDR and Windjammer staff.  Lesson learned.  Bring some packaged GF dessert items and salad dressing packets.  Also, they offered Kellogs in the am and none of their cereals were GF.  I am allergic to eggs, so I had bacon and coffee. They used to be very accommodating, but no longer.  I hear Carnival has gone the other way and is even more attuned to food allergies than ever with interactive menu boards.  Right now we are deciding between a Carnival and an RCI cruise for our anniversary next year.  It is either lots of food choices and an iffy cruise on Carnival or a great suite experience on RCI, but with limited food.  

Might I suggest that you send a letter to the CEO of Royal Caribbean.