What is ArriveCan?

barric

We sail 10/9 from New York to Maine, then St John Canada arriving 10/13.

What is ArriveCan and do we need to do this before boarding in NY? 

Or, is this done aboard ship?

And how is this done?

Advice appreciated.

ArriveCAN is a information collection system where you upload your covid vaccine card. You must use it as it is a requirement to enter Canada. 

• PLEASE NOTE: All guests must complete ArriveCAN submission within 72 hours of embarkation. ArriveCAN receipt must be presented at check in on embarkation day. Guests must select "Arriving by Ship."

https://www.ncl.com/travel-requirements-by-country

Those on the Prima transatlantic stopping in Canada on route to NY have to fill about Arrivecan (Canadian app that you provide all your details to the government) before boarding and ALSO an antigen before boarding.

Edited by ziggyuk

Starting an international cruise in Canada or arriving by cruise from another country

These requirements apply to cruises:

• arriving in Canada from a foreign country
  • starting in Canada, but travelling outside Canadian waters and then returning to Canada (for example, if docking in the United States for a shore excursion)

All travellers are required to:

• complete ArriveCAN no more than 72 hours of initially boarding the cruise. This includes:
    • any traveller who recently submitted ArriveCAN to enter Canada via land or air
    • Canadians embarking on an international cruise from Canada that will return to Canada
  • take a pre-embarkation COVID-19 test before embarking on a cruise ship that will dock in Canada at any point in the itinerary
  • If you’re exempt from the vaccination requirements, you must also take a COVID-19 antigen test on the day you board the cruise ship, in addition to taking a pre-embarkation test. The test must be negative. This applies to travellers who aren’t fully vaccinated for:
    • medical reasons or
    • sincere religious reasons, or
    • those 5 years of age or older and under 12 years of age.
    • Note: If you’re a foreign national and aren’t fully vaccinated due to a sincere religious belief, you won’t be allowed to enter to Canada by land or air to board a cruise. You also won’t be allowed to disembark a cruise in Canada, unless it is for a medical emergency.

Just a hint when filling out the ArriveCAN "itinerary" portion no earlier than 3 days before you embark on your cruise. When you get to the point of identifying which Canadian port you will first arrive at, remember to put the "period" after "St" in St. John's when using the dropdown menu. It will make it much easier for you to find the specific port name they're looking for. Don't worry, once you get to that point, you'll understand what I mean. 🙂

• Thanks 1

You can/should create your account and load your passport in advance and leave the final trip details to the 72 hour window. Less things to fix if you get an error during those busy hours before you depart. You will need to provide NCL will your QR code at some point. So have it ready at check in. 

On 9/9/2022 at 3:40 PM, BirdTravels said:

You can/should create your account and load your passport in advance and leave the final trip details to the 72 hour window. Less things to fix if you get an error during those busy hours before you depart. You will need to provide NCL will your QR code at some point. So have it ready at check in. 

Quick question.  I created my account and put in info.  I didn't see any place to upload my passport, just a place to fill in that I was using a passport.  Did I miss something?

I did see the place to upload my VAX card and did that.

Thanks!

1 hour ago, goldmom said:

Quick question.  I created my account and put in info.  I didn't see any place to upload my passport, just a place to fill in that I was using a passport.  Did I miss something?

I did see the place to upload my VAX card and did that.

Thanks!

Yes.  It should let you enter your passport number or scan the passport.  If you let it scan it, it does it really quickly and I was pretty impressed.  LOL!   Here is a link to a step-by-step instruction and screen shot list of what to do -- this is from Regent cruise line:

https://www.rssc.com/sites/default/files/2022-04/ArriveCan.pdf

Hope this helps!  🙂  

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, goldmom said:

Thanks.  I did put all the passport info in manually, just didn't see a place to scan it or upload the passport.  The home page shows that our passport info was put in so I guess we're good.

Thanks again!

That’s good. As long as under travelers, it says “Passport registered” and proof of vaccine “yes” you’re good to go until the final 72 hour information. 

Edited by BirdTravels
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, goldmom said:

Thanks.  I did put all the passport info in manually, just didn't see a place to scan it or upload the passport.  The home page shows that our passport info was put in so I guess we're good.

Thanks again!

Why do you think that you need to scan your passport?

12 hours ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

Some earlier posts in this thread had mentioned loading or scanning passports.  When I filled it out I didn't see any place to scan or upload the passport.  I only saw the place to upload the VAX card, so I was afraid I missed something.

It could also make a difference if we're completing the form on  the phone app or on a desktop.  I don't know.  I was using a desktop.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

It is a recognized form of identification.

As far as I could tell, they are only pulling relevant text and populating their form. That way, 100% of the inputs match your official document (e.g., you get Allison populated versus a hand entered nickname Ally - “the only time anyone uses Allison is when I am in trouble”). 

• Like 1

We sail out of Quebec next week.  I am up to my ears with lists, since apparently I've forgotten how to actually take a pleasure trip.  As Ziggy points out earlier, this is a warning about CANADA.  NCL says nothing about a virus test, but it is required for us to embark on Pearl 9/23.  You have to dig into ArriveCAN a little to find this requirement.  So if you read the NCL rules, you think you're fine with your vax cards and completion of their ArriveCAN forms at precisely the correct time.  But, as of today, you need that test to board.  I can't imagine how many pax will be denied boarding ... or maybe everyone's smarter than I am. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jsn55 said:

We sail out of Quebec next week.  I am up to my ears with lists, since apparently I've forgotten how to actually take a pleasure trip.  As Ziggy points out earlier, this is a warning about CANADA.  NCL says nothing about a virus test, but it is required for us to embark on Pearl 9/23.  You have to dig into ArriveCAN a little to find this requirement.  So if you read the NCL rules, you think you're fine with your vax cards and completion of their ArriveCAN forms at precisely the correct time.  But, as of today, you need that test to board.  I can't imagine how many pax will be denied boarding ... or maybe everyone's smarter than I am. 

The NCL website is very clear that you need to test for Canadian cruises.

6 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

It is a recognized form of identification.

As far as I could tell, they are only pulling relevant text and populating their form. That way, 100% of the inputs match your official document (e.g., you get Allison populated versus a hand entered nickname Ally - “the only time anyone uses Allison is when I am in trouble”). 

Are you suggesting that ArriveCan does require passport scanning?  That's the first I've heard about it (and I've used ArriveCan on two cruises so far).

On 9/15/2022 at 1:09 PM, jsn55 said:

601AAB39-6B3E-4F6E-93B5-F7D03283E3E0.jpeg

170DF300-23DC-485D-BB8A-EF0AA068FA66.jpeg

On 9/15/2022 at 1:09 PM, jsn55 said:

Seems crystal clear. Which is why it is most important to read the information provided by the cruise line. 

https://www.ncl.com/travel-requirements-by-country

PLEASE NOTE: All guests must complete ArriveCAN submission within 72 hours of embarkation. ArriveCAN receipt must be presented at check in on embarkation day. Guests must select "Arriving by Ship."

Testing must be administered by a verified third party.

For cruises originating from or sailing to a Canadian port (which may include Alaska itineraries):

Age Vaccinated Unvaccinated
< 5 years Nothing required. Nothing required.
5-11 years Provide proof of one of the following:
1. Negative COVID-19 antigen test within two days of the embarkation date
2. NAAT test (i.e., PCR) within three days of embarkation date
3. COVID-19 Recovery Certificate*
Negative NAAT test (i.e., PCR) result administered by a verified third party
within three days of the embarkation date, as well as additional antigen testing at embarkation and
disembarkation administered and paid for by NCL.
≥ 12 years Provide proof of one of the following:
1. Negative COVID-19 antigen test within two days of the embarkation date
2. NAAT test (i.e., PCR) within three days of embarkation date
3. COVID-19 Recovery Certificate*
Unable to cruise.
Edited by BirdTravels

i'm just off a ten day canada/new england cruise on the joy.

it's absolutely true that you have to fill out the arrivecan app... even if you're not getting off the ship. based on my experience this week/last week, however, i'd say it's extremely unlikely that anyone will ever ask to see the QR code contained within the app, or to ask you to open the app or display a printout. we were not asked a single question in any canadian port and nobody even looked at identification except when returning to the ship.

that's not to say that they're not collecting all the information and cross referencing it behind the scenes. and so you might be flagged if you don't fill it out. you gotta fill it out. but don't be disappointed if nobody ever asks to see it once completed and submitted. you also have to fill out a canadian customs form once onboard the ship, prior to arrival at your first canadian port. that gets submitted to your room steward.

Edited by UKstages

6 hours ago, ByThePond said:

601AAB39-6B3E-4F6E-93B5-F7D03283E3E0.jpeg

170DF300-23DC-485D-BB8A-EF0AA068FA66.jpeg

Wow, the virus disaster boredom has obviously made me feeble-minded.  I have never seen any of this.  Why?  Because I never looked for it.  Over and over and over we rolled our money for the last four years and perhaps I thought we'd never sail anyway next week.  Wow, I'd best get in there before I pull an even worse blunder.  Thank you SO MUCH for the information, I thought I had examined every cranny of that website, but probably only the part that comes up with my particular cruise.  Interesting that I can recite every aspect of the drinks package tho. 

Edited by jsn55
add a thought

26 minutes ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

I seem to always remember having to turn it in to guest services.  Has this changed?

from what i noticed on my previous cruises, if you fill it out and leave it on the desk or somewhere else and the room steward notices you completed the form they will take it and bring to guest services for you