Able to buy items 'A La Carte' on cruises with HIA promotion?

SeaSickCecil

So to add HIA is almost $2K for our upcoming cruise.  Since my DH doesn't drink and I only drink one or two drinks a day (if that much) and we don't see any shore excursions we need/want to take, just made 4 star so get discounts on specialty coffee (me only) and at the fancy restaurants, it doesn't seem worth it.  So I thought I would try to buy the Surf Internet package and the 3 bottle Navigator wine package.  But looking at things you can buy they don't offer any wine bottle packages and only the premium internet package.  They are really pushing the HIA.

Has anyone tried to purchase the surf internet and bottles of wine at a discount pre-boarding?  Am I just looking in the wrong place on their website?

Any help appreciated.  

Rachel

It's only been Premium Internet available for pre-purchase since at least 2018. The pre-purchase price for Premium is only a little more than Surf on board. 

There are 4-, 6-, and 8-bottle Sommelier Packages (in three levels of price) available for sale after you have a booking. Look under "Cruise Activities"/Beverages. I do not know if there is any discount for pre-purchase. I think you pay full price and the 4-star discount is credited to your account on board -- but someone will be along to confirm that.

• Like 1

thank you all for the info and replies.  Some good reminders about the sales tax, although we're doing the Hawaii cruise out of San Diego, but I know California has never missed a chance to collect a tax LOL.  A 4 bottle package is way too much for me to drink unless I can take the unopened bottles off the ship with me.  Does anyone know if that can be done?  We're not flying home, so taking liquids isn't a packing/TSA problem.  

This is only our 2nd cruise since Covid, so I'm a bit rusty....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SeaSickCecil said:

thank you all for the info and replies.  Some good reminders about the sales tax, although we're doing the Hawaii cruise out of San Diego, but I know California has never missed a chance to collect a tax LOL.  A 4 bottle package is way too much for me to drink unless I can take the unopened bottles off the ship with me.  Does anyone know if that can be done?  We're not flying home, so taking liquids isn't a packing/TSA problem.  

This is only our 2nd cruise since Covid, so I'm a bit rusty....

California doesn't tax anything on Cruise ships.

3 hours ago, SeaSickCecil said:

A 4 bottle package is way too much for me to drink unless I can take the unopened bottles off the ship with me.  Does anyone know if that can be done?  We're not flying home, so taking liquids isn't a packing/TSA problem.

Yes, you can take unopened bottles home. The terms are:

"You can customize your own personal wine package from one of the three lists that have been thoughtfully curated by our wine experts. Select 4, 6 or 8 bottles from CELLAR Nº 1, CELLAR Nº 2 or CELLAR Nº 3. Your wines will be available to enjoy with your meals or delivered directly to your stateroom. Any unopened bottles can be taken home at the end of your cruise. Cheers, here’s to a great journey." 

AND:

"

FOR YOUR CONVENIENCE, YOU CAN
ORDER YOUR SOMMELIER SUITE PACKAGES
FROM ANY MEMBER OF OUR BEVERAGE TEAM.

Additional 3-Star and above Mariner Loyalty discounts apply.
Please note that packages are nontransferable and may not me consumed
in public bars and lounges.
An 18% service charge is applied to all beverage purchases.
Local sales taxes are applied as required in territorial waters."

Thanks Crystalspin....I'll have to spend more time on the HAL website or maybe I'll just wait until I'm on board.  I remember the bars would have the packages and prices listed.  And the beverage teams would walk around in the Lido trying to sell them as well.

And Bruce and Denise, I was joking.  But it's still good to know.

You three are always so wonderful about answering questions for everybody and so knowledgeable.  I feel very lucky that you answered mine.

Rachel 🚢

• Like 2

3 hours ago, SeaSickCecil said:

... I remember the bars would have the packages and prices listed.  And the beverage teams would walk around in the Lido trying to sell them as well.

I have read people with better tastes in wine than me, saying they will wait to buy until on board, because the wines in stock will be different than might be listed on the website (if you can even find them). Also if you have fixed seating or a favorite bar, the beverage steward or bartender will get some credit for selling a package.

I have fairly pedestrian tastes so not worried that I won’t be able to find something I would like.  😀 but do think waiting makes sense.  A new adventure awaits me on this cruise.  And if I decide not to drink at all, that’s fine too.  Just have to have my  fancy coffee in the morning and everything is fine.  

21 minutes ago, SeaSickCecil said:

I have fairly pedestrian tastes so not worried that I won’t be able to find something I would like.  😀 but do think waiting makes sense.  A new adventure awaits me on this cruise.  And if I decide not to drink at all, that’s fine too.  Just have to have my  fancy coffee in the morning and everything is fine.  

Would you have the ability to bring 2-3 bottles with you to embarkation?   Even after the $20/bottle corkage fee, you may find bringing your favorite wine(s) is more economical than the HAL packages.  Plus, you won't have to buy more bottles than you want.

I would suggest that you pre purchase the Internet package for a couple of reasons:

The discounted pre purchase price of the 'Premium' package is only slightly higher than the 'Surf' package, which you can only purchase onboard.

After using the 'Surf' package for a day or two, you will probably feel that you want to 'upgrade' at the special price, which will then be more expensive in total than pre purchasing the 'Premium package.

With 'Premium' you can use 'wifi calling'.

The price of both may well increase before your cruise. 

etc.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We usually have purchased surf package on board.  It's about $8/day for the longer cruises.  Sometimes we'll upgrade to the premium package if we really need the video aspect. As 5 Star Mariners we get a $30 discount which helps.