Appropriate dress for dining venues on Oceania

Sullivans10

37 minutes ago, GrammieK said:

I don’t think it’s about who is relaxed and who isn’t….how hard is it to dress within the dress code?  Shirt, pants, shoes…. Easy to pack and you could probably do it in the dark. 

So it's about the rules then which makes little sense since Oceania apparently doesn't care.

Times are changing and people don't dress up like they used to.  They just don't and all this is like pushing a rock up a hill or trying to hold a wave back.  All it's going to do is make you unhappy worrying about it.

And as I said we don't know the reasons behind some of the downscale dress reasons.

• Like 4

41 minutes ago, GrammieK said:

don’t think it’s about who is relaxed and who isn’t….how hard is it to dress within the dress code?  Shirt, pants, shoes…. Easy to pack and you could probably do it in the dark. 

For me - not hard at all

For me to do it for someone else - impossible

So as it is beyond my control I will not get my tail in a knot, or as the kids say, “You do you”.

29 minutes ago, DrivesLikeMario said:

For the buffet at night, is a nice pair of shorts and a polo shirt acceptable for men and capris and a blouse for women?   (I'm new to Oceania.)

capris and blouse for women will be appropriate in any dining venue. Shorts for the buffet are okay for men, but not for other dining venues. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, zalusky said:

So it's about the rules then which makes little sense since Oceania apparently doesn't care.

Times are changing and people don't dress up like they used to.  They just don't and all this is like pushing a rock up a hill or trying to hold a wave back.  All it's going to do is make you unhappy worrying about it.

And as I said we don't know the reasons behind some of the downscale dress reasons.

it doesn’t make me unhappy, nor do I worry about it. Just stating that the rules are so easy to follow…

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Robjame said:

For me - not hard at all

For me to do it for someone else - impossible

So as it is beyond my control I will not get my tail in a knot, or as the kids say, “You do you”.

It’s all merely a game for some.  If O allowed sweat suits, some would show up in running shorts and wife beaters. If those were allowed, the same folks would show up in jock straps. Merely a game to see how low they can go. It’s all a game. So Oceania sets low standards and the trolls come out in these dress code threads to profess they aren’t low enough. Boring!

Don’t feed the trolls!

Edited by pinotlover
  • Like 6
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, GrammieK said:

I don’t think it’s about who is relaxed and who isn’t….how hard is it to dress within the dress code?  Shirt, pants, shoes…. Easy to pack and you could probably do it in the dark. 

For most, adhering to the Oceania's minimal dress code isn't hard and, on any given night on board, I'd be willing to bet that 98% comply.  The problem I've noticed is that people on these boards don't care what Oceania's policy is.  They have their own perspective on what people should wear, regardless of the policy, and howl loudly when others don't follow their personal sense of style.

I can remember being a kid and the men in the neighborhood would get home, out of their suits, and "dress sloppy."  To them, this meant putting on khakis and a polo-style shirt.  This is what they would wear to do chores around the house, do some gardening, etc.  Not too long ago, though, someone was on the Oceania board, lamenting that some people wore jeans and couldn't understand why men couldn't dress up in, at least, khakis and a polo.

Fashion, like morality, is a sliding scale...

• Like 2

On Regatta last week I saw 3 men turned away from the table in GDR for wearing shorts. I just didn't understand why they made it past the Maitre D stand? Why wait until they were at the table? To top it off they came back in slacks, then for some reason left. 2 women at the table were seated at a smaller table. I still enjoyed my meal. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, ORV said:

On Regatta last week I saw 3 men turned away from the table in GDR for wearing shorts. I just didn't understand why they made it past the Maitre D stand?

I agree

it is up to the Maitre'd  to enforce  the dress code  for the dining venues

I have seen the Maitre'd take people aside  & send them off to change

This topic of dressing decently  is one that people either understand or they don't.  Those of us who enjoy 'looking nice' don't worry about the others, we don't get upset, we just ignore them.  If you don't understand the concept, then just move on.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, jsn55 said:

don't worry about the others, we don't get upset,

Yes I have other things to worry about on a cruise like does the captain know where he is going, are we going to hit an iceberg and will there be enough crab legs at Terrace.

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

2 hours ago, jsn55 said:

This topic of dressing decently  is one that people either understand or they don't.  Those of us who enjoy 'looking nice' don't worry about the others, we don't get upset, we just ignore them.  If you don't understand the concept, then just move on.  

The topic isn't about dressing "decently". It appears the topic is "I want people to dress the way I approve or I'm going to pitch a fit". 

It's sad. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, shepherd really said:

The topic isn't about dressing "decently". It appears the topic is "I want people to dress the way I approve or I'm going to pitch a fit". 

It's sad. 

Oh, OK then.  I misunderstood the topic.  Too many drama queens in life maybe.  I'd never pitch a fit, but I would stop cruising on a line that allowed too many people who look like bums in the dining room.  The people who are serving us look classy, so why can't the pax?  People can do whatever they want, I just don't want to be around people who can't be bothered to 'clean up'.  If you can't even change your shirt, tuck it in and look decent, you should order room service. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, jsn55 said:

Oh, OK then.  I misunderstood the topic.  Too many drama queens in life maybe.  I'd never pitch a fit, but I would stop cruising on a line that allowed too many people who look like bums in the dining room.  The people who are serving us look classy, so why can't the pax?  People can do whatever they want, I just don't want to be around people who can't be bothered to 'clean up'.  If you can't even change your shirt, tuck it in and look decent, you should order room service. 

Thank you!

• Like 2

Why oh why oh why is there a damn dress code thread on this board that runs on and on seemingly once a month? If one were to search instead of posting a new question, they would see that this subject has been discussed in tens if not hundreds of threads over the past many years! Seems that a cruise line like Oceania, which has the most straightforward, simple dress code of nearly any cruise line has as many or more questions, rantings and pontifications as Cunard, which probably has the most complex and slowly evolving dress code of any cruise line...not sure why. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, edgee said:

Why oh why oh why is there a damn dress code thread on this board that runs on and on seemingly once a month? If one were to search instead of posting a new question, they would see that this subject has been discussed in tens if not hundreds of threads over the past many years! Seems that a cruise line like Oceania, which has the most straightforward, simple dress code of nearly any cruise line has as many or more questions, rantings and pontifications as Cunard, which probably has the most complex and slowly evolving dress code of any cruise line...not sure why. 

I think it's because people like to express themselves on topics that are important to them.  Perhaps we feel that we can 'change the world' and that's comforting.  It's difficult for some of us to accept that people prefer to look like slobs.  For some of us, it indicates that society is going downhill. 

• Like 1

On 9/27/2022 at 4:14 PM, DrivesLikeMario said:

For the buffet at night, is a nice pair of shorts and a polo shirt acceptable for men and capris and a blouse for women?   (I'm new to Oceania.)

Polos, khakis pants, not shorts are more often seen in Waves for men.  

12 hours ago, edgee said:

It's real simple actually, there are always any number of people that want to assert their desires of the way they want others to dress, regardless of what the dress code says. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, kibutzer said:

Polos, khakis pants, not shorts are more often seen in Waves for men.  

In a word, NO. 

Waves is the outdoor grill, unless you're in a colder area people are eating there during the day and usually you'll see at least 60% or more of the men in shorts.

Terrace, which I think you might have meant, is a mixed bag. No matter what you've seen, or prefer to see, the dress code states you can wear shorts in Terrace any time you choose, or khakis and polos. It's your choice for you, others can make their choice accordingly. 

• Like 5

48 minutes ago, ORV said:

In a word, NO. 

Waves is the outdoor grill, unless you're in a colder area people are eating there during the day and usually you'll see at least 60% or more of the men in shorts.

Terrace, which I think you might have meant, is a mixed bag. No matter what you've seen, or prefer to see, the dress code states you can wear shorts in Terrace any time you choose, or khakis and polos. It's your choice for you, others can make their choice accordingly. 

Thank you.  That's what I was thinking.  I suppose there'll be even more shorts in the buffet and Waves on a South Pacific itinerary.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, jsn55 said:

If you can't even change your shirt, tuck it in

The untucked shirt is very much the fashion for men’s casual. It is very forgiving covering what some of us have invested a lot of 24’s to build.  🙂

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Robjame said:

The untucked shirt is very much the fashion for men’s casual. It is very forgiving covering what some of us have invested a lot of 24’s to build.  🙂

Agreed I almost never wear tucked shirts anymore.  I even wear untucked shirts with suit jackets.

• Like 2