Water being deliver to room

Kudos2Fly

On 9/12/2022 at 8:57 PM, chemmo said:

Even when we have a drinks package we request the ice twice a day as we like our water really cold, especially at night.

That is kind of unusual for Brits correct?  I remember when I went to the UK in 1994, Ice was hard to come by.  We're in Rome now and its the same situation.  I actually brought a vintage metal ice cube tray from home and I'm using it in our Airbnb freezer. 

When you're used to drinking bottled water( as I've been doing for years and years in California), its hard to drink " tap water".  We have an RO system at home now and I'm great with that, I know its filtered well.  

OP said they had cruised other cruise lines that let you order a case of water delivered to their room.  THat is becuase those other cruise lines don't allow you to bring on a case of water, Celebrity does allow you which is why they don't have the option of delivery.  Just buy a case of water and bring it on with you.

5 hours ago, calicakes said:

That is kind of unusual for Brits correct?  I remember when I went to the UK in 1994, Ice was hard to come by.  We're in Rome now and its the same situation.  I actually brought a vintage metal ice cube tray from home and I'm using it in our Airbnb freezer. 

We like ice in our drinks just not as much as Americans as it seems (well to me) that it waters the drink down too much… 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, wineoclock said:

We like ice in our drinks just not as much as Americans as it seems (well to me) that it waters the drink down too much… 

Your "Room Temperature" drinks are 17 C. Here in Florida it is more like 30 C (OK "Garage Temperature").  Wine chiller for Cabs is about 17-18 C. Even with the scotch at 26 C need to drop an ice cube in it for 20 seconds to bring it down to proper drinking temps, unlike just a few drops of water to open it up. 

1 hour ago, wineoclock said:

In London a while ago, I asked for ice and the waiter promptly came back with one-1-One ice cube and dropped it into my glass and gave me a nice smile indicating he was proud of meeting my request…..I of course thanked him.

Decided it was best to quit that habit! Got to keep my liver from being damaged from that ice stuff and drink my Gin and Tonic properly!! 

Den

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, RedIguana said:

Your "Room Temperature" drinks are 17 C. Here in Florida it is more like 30 C (OK "Garage Temperature"). 

I grew up in S. Florida, maybe that is why I'm addicted to ice.  I brought a vintage metal ice cube tray with me on our Feb Oceania cruise, the butler filled it for me and had it frozen.  He brought it to my room each morning.  LOL.  We tipped generously for that. 

4 hours ago, calicakes said:

I grew up in S. Florida, maybe that is why I'm addicted to ice.  I brought a vintage metal ice cube tray with me on our Feb Oceania cruise, the butler filled it for me and had it frozen.  He brought it to my room each morning.  LOL.  We tipped generously for that. 

Wouldn't it be much easier taking a silicone ice tray? 

10 hours ago, Lisah101 said:

OP said they had cruised other cruise lines that let you order a case of water delivered to their room.  THat is becuase those other cruise lines don't allow you to bring on a case of water, Celebrity does allow you which is why they don't have the option of delivery.  Just buy a case of water and bring it on with you.

Not true, you can bring water on board Carnival as of a few years ago, unless that has change. When I found we could order before we board, then why lug on the water and take up space. Just easier that way.

It's just not water you can order ahead of time, decorations, dessert, wine, beer, gifts for people. They have a whole list of things you can arrange to have in the room. Although it's been since Jan 2020 since we have been on them. This is a family cruise and Celebrity is what people voted to go on. So trying Celebrity again. 

Edited by Kudos2Fly

37 minutes ago, Kudos2Fly said:

Not true, you can bring water on board Carnival as of a few years ago, unless that has change. When I found we could order before we board, then why lug on the water and take up space. Just easier that way.

It's just not water you can order ahead of time, decorations, dessert, wine, beer, gifts for people. They have a whole list of things you can arrange to have in the room. Although it's been since Jan 2020 since we have been on them. This is a family cruise and Celebrity is what people voted to go on. So trying Celebrity again. 

Carnival only lets you bring non alcoholic beverages in cans or carton, not plastic water bottles. I guess you might be able to find canned water. 

21 minutes ago, Lisah101 said:

Carnival only lets you bring non alcoholic beverages in cans or carton, not plastic water bottles. I guess you might be able to find canned water. 

Well we did a long time ago, but we did do it. It was the last time to, to much work. We also have brought many times one six pack of NA beer for my hubby a few time in glass. But we carried it on with no problems. We try to stay away from aluminum as much as possible. Things may have change in a few years. Well if canned water is all Celebrity has, I guess we will bring filter water bottles and bring them. 

17 hours ago, calicakes said:

We like our water and drinks cold what we don’t like is spirits and mixed drinks poured over a mountain of ice!

For example, order a Bacardi and coke on the ship and the glass is filled with ice then the measure of Bacardi is added and then the glass is filled with coke. In the UK we are more likely to put about 2/3 cubes of ice in a glass then add Bacardi and coke.

When we travel in the US and on board ship we find ourselves frequently saying ‘No ice’ when ordering cognac and sherry and specifying ‘Just a little ice’ when ordering mixed drinks.

So you are right, if you order drinks in the UK generally there will be less ice in them. However, the point I was making to the OP is that even when you put water in the minibar it is cool rather than cold. Whereas, if you fill a glass of water with ice and put it by your bed you will have a lovely cold refreshing drink if you wake in the night.

• Like 1

On 9/13/2022 at 6:41 PM, Kudos2Fly said:

It was offer on Carnival the last time we cruise. I don't need it deliver, but would like to get bottle water when we need it. It is nice to have it sitting in our room though. One thing I like about Carnival, you can deliver party items or, wine, water, beers or desserts if you want on the day you leave port.  

Celebrity does have a section called Bon Voyage Gifts where you can order items such as wine, bottles of alcohol with mixers, flowers, cakes, various platters, strawberries, etc to be delivered when you board or anytime at all for that matter. Unfortunately no water or beer though. I have always found this section  a little difficult to find  on their website but it is there.

19 hours ago, Lisah101 said:

IDK about other lines, but Disney does allow you to carry water on board AND they have a water package.

• 1 year later...

Was on the Beyond over the holidays. At our request our cabin steward kept a pitcher of ice water in our stateroom. We always had cool water and no plastic bottles! Brought our own refillables for shore visits.

On 9/16/2022 at 3:16 AM, WrittenOnYourHeart said:

IDK about other lines, but Disney does allow you to carry water on board AND they have a water package.

Royal Caribbean allows on embarkation day for passengers to bring 12 sealed plastic water bottles, and they have a water package that can be ordered pre-cruise as well.

We were on Celebrity Beyond for an 11-day cruise starting 1/08/24 in a S1 cabin. I had totally forgotten about the plastic vs. metal can issue until seeing this thread again. During our 11 days I never saw a metal water can, always just the cheapest water, enhanced with small plastic particles, that is possible. Costco/Sam's level bottled water. 

When we first met our Retreat Host (aka overworked Cabin Attendant) I asked him about the four large Evian glass bottles of water sitting on the desk. He said that two were included, but that the other two were for purchase only. (Nothing mentioned in writing.) I told him that I normally while on a cruise drink a minimum of 1 liter of water a day hoping that he would get the hint. Wasted my breath. On most days he placed two standard plastic bottles on the desk, but not all; about 50/50 water or no bottled water. The last day he left us four bottles, I guess he was preparing the room for our departure and incoming passengers. (For probably the same reason, two additional robes appeared in our closest the same day.)

We gather bottles of water whenever we we remembered, always in plastic. Again, never saw a metal can of water.

The Retreat Host was good at cleaning the room, but seldom seen otherwise. Our "Head Butler" made a 2 minute stop once; never saw him again.

On 9/13/2022 at 6:26 PM, Hlitner said:

But paying more for plain bottled water than we pay for gasoline just never has been our thing.

Then come to Vancouver. The gas is much more expensive than water here!