Non-Proctored COVID Test

Empehi

Has anyone taken a non-proctored COVID test and submitted the results on boarding day?

If you did .... what did you show at check-in / or did you upload a picture of the test to the Celebrity app?

Needless to say .... I am totally baffled by this!

e

I will be boarding Silhouette next Monday (Sept. 19th.) in Southampton and my wife said while reading the latest Self Testing Requirements " Well What If Someone Forgets to stick the stick Up their Nose and just inserts it into the wet test panel? A Certain Negative Test Result!" 

I told her not to worry as Nobody would Think of doing That !😆

• Haha 4

14 hours ago, D. B. said:

I will be boarding Silhouette next Monday (Sept. 19th.) in Southampton and my wife said while reading the latest Self Testing Requirements " Well What If Someone Forgets to stick the stick Up their Nose and just inserts it into the wet test panel? A Certain Negative Test Result!" 

I think the new protocol is based on trust.   Is everyone trustworthy?   Probably not but if the majority of cruisers are trustworthy and concerned about fellow cruisers then we can all have a small sense of safety. 

Reality is we are in contact with many untested and positive people on a daily basis in our daily life and the best you can do is to protect ourself with vaccinations, masks and hand washing

• Like 3

22 hours ago, D. B. said:

I'm not sure but I think that the test would come out as invalid if you did this as it would not detect any genetic material.  Maybe you have to stick the swab elsewhere?  😄

Edited by WorkerBee74
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, WorkerBee74 said:

I'm not sure but I think that the test would come out as invalid if you did this as it would not detect any genetic material.  Maybe you have to stick the swab elsewhere?  😄

Agreed.  With the test I have used there are two possible lines - one of them is required to be there in order to have a valid test and the other is present if it is positive and absent if it is negative.

3 minutes ago, NantahalaCruiser said:

Agreed.  With the test I have used there are two possible lines - one of them is required to be there in order to have a valid test and the other is present if it is positive and absent if it is negative.

Yep... pretty sure you'd end up with a nice "T" line and it would be invalid.  The tests I have on stock are too precious up here in Canada to waste one to check, nor do I consider this a nice honest idea, although I hear the joke in the OP's voice surely haha.

We'll be taking a kit for proctored tests (pre-purchased - can test online over camera) AND a joe-regular unproctored test kit just in case.  You never know when anything is going to change, and we're prepared for both.  Especially because we are flying internationally to Europe and also coming home to Canada where things are currently no-test-required for us Canadians, but can change any time.

Edited by WorkerBee74

Don't you think that this forum (not to mention roll calls) would be overloaded with threads of people complaining about how their non-proctored tests were rejected (in whatever form) at the port?

It's been almost two weeks since the change...

• Like 2

12 hours ago, dlh015 said:

Don't you think that this forum (not to mention roll calls) would be overloaded with threads of people complaining about how their non-proctored tests were rejected (in whatever form) at the port?

It's been almost two weeks since the change...

Could be the reason, but maybe everyone already had their procotered tests planned and/or don't know about the recent change?

I'm curious about this topic and would be happy to read some experience.

• Like 1

On 9/13/2022 at 3:57 PM, Empehi said:

Has anyone taken a non-proctored COVID test and submitted the results on boarding day?

If you did .... what did you show at check-in / or did you upload a picture of the test to the Celebrity app?

Needless to say .... I am totally baffled by this!

e

We are sailing this coming Monday on the Equinox.  I have talked to Celebrity several times about reservations for restaurants, excursions etc.  I’ve asked the same question as you.  I’ve been told to take a clear picture of both my husband’s & my tests results.  That’s what I’m going to do.

• Like 1

On 9/15/2022 at 8:24 AM, cangelmd said:

I’m bumping this back up because I haven’t seen many people posting what is actually happening at the pier.

Maybe there just haven’t been enough post Sept 5 cruises to know.

I think your right.  Plus it’s for cruises 9 days or more.  So mostly those sailing from the 5th on may still be cruising. 

48 minutes ago, curtsfan said:

I think your right.  Plus it’s for cruises 9 days or more.  So mostly those sailing from the 5th on may still be cruising. 

9?  Isn’t it 10 or more nights?  Plus if you’re vaxxed, self test ok for 10 or more nights.  If not vaxxed, you must test, regardless of number of nights.  If vaxxed and 9 or less nights, no testing needed.  I think I’m reading the protocols correctly.

Edited by capsplace

4 minutes ago, capsplace said:

9?  Isn’t it 10 or more nights?

Yes, you are correct...

"- For sailings 9 nights or less, vaccinated guests will no longer need to test to board one of our ships, where destinations allow; and will have 3 days prior to boarding to test for sailings 10 nights or more."

• Like 1