Feedback from Ventura last week

AlanCruise

Some feedback from our trip on Ventura to Spain and Portugal last week.

Travel to Southampton cruise terminal.

We took the train to Southampton, taxi to the Mayflower Cruise terminal.
Plenty of taxis available both ways.  £8 to the ship (more traffic as there were 5 ships leaving) and £7 back.

Check In

Very quick. Checked Vaccine records and you need to verbally confirm you have a negative lateral flow test.
Didn't look at insurance documents.

Then normal check in – took another photo even if uploaded previously!

Covid

On board all the crew were wearing masks and a very small number of the passengers.

No other apparent covid restrictions onboard and no information about any covid cases was given.

We were advised to take vaccine records ashore at each port, but never checked.

Eating

The Beach House and Sindhu restaurant were operating on board and became fully booked after the first couple of days, although walking past Sindhu it looked very empty. Epicurian was closed.

We mostly used the freedom dining for dinner and used the virtual queue system. Near the start of the dinner period (soon after 6pm) we normally got a table in a few minutes. It is apparently quicker if you opt to share. 

Some visits to buffet for afternoon tea and also the burgers and pizza from near the swimming pool.
We did one evening in the Beach House which we enjoyed - cost is £7.50 plus a supplement for some menu items.

Entertainment

For entertainment only the main arena shows needed any booking. Going to the 8.30 performances it was normally fairly full but always some spaces.

Shuttles

All the shuttles provided were very efficient with plenty of buses.

Santander – Free shuttle to port gate – which is in the centre of the town

Vigo – No shuttle required – Terminal in centre of town

Lisbon – A charged shuttle (£2 if not select booking) to main square was available but was also easily walkable.

Porto – A free shuttle was provided from the port to near the town centre – described as Caves Ferreira (one of the wine caves where you can do tours) – about 20 to 25 mins trip. From there about 15mins walk to the bridge over the river for the old town. A short free shuttle was also provided to the port gate.

Guernsey – Tender port using the ships tenders and one local ferry

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

We were on this cruise too. My main concern was on disembarkation day.

I don't know whether there was an unusually large number of wheel-chair users on this particular cruise, but I really think P&O should have tried harder for them at this time. Many wheelchairs-users require an almost empty lift to accommodate them and their companion. More than a couple of existing passengers and they won't attempt to board the lift.

My wife and I decided to struggle down the stairs from Deck 12 to Deck 7 together with our hand-luggage (she is having a knee-replacement operation next month and is pretty bad). As we progressed slowly down the levels, it was disturbing to see on every accomodation floor the whole area in front of the lifts full of wheel-chairs, often two-deep, with their users becoming increasingly distressed as the 4 lifts whizzed by or stopped only to reveal them already crammed full of able-bodied passengers, none of whom appeared prepared to sacrifice their comfortable ride down.

It would not have taken more than a couple of crew to be detailed as lift-attendants to reserve and supervise two of the lifts "for wheel-chair-only use" for an hour or so at that critical time on the last morning when all passengers are asked to assemble at specific times in the open rooms on Deck 7.

My observations were at the forward lifts - goodness knows what was happening at the normally busier central staircase ones.

Edited by bbtablet
  • Like 1

The Entertainment Manager had it right when, just before the start of the show on the last night in the theatre, he broadcast the following:

"This is a general announcement from the Entertainment Manager:

For exercise;

For exercise;

For exercise.

Use the stairs."

• Like 3

Sorry - never went on deck10 - we were on 12.

Covid was never mentioned at any time and although there are reports of some passengers having it when they got off or when they got home, I went to the theatre shows every night and there was only significant coughing on the very last night (10 day cruise).

My guess would be that unless there is a renewed outbreak nationally there won't be a quarantined area when you go, and any cases will simply be confined to their cabin - tough if it is inside, but normal service looks like it is being resumed.

• Like 2

On 9/15/2022 at 12:08 PM, solentsam said:

Yes seen that my wife is wheelchair user and we have been waiting on 15 for lift only for it to arrive full of people then none get out and it goes back down again still full ! utterly selfish 

I hate that too. And, I'm not in a wheelchair.

On 9/15/2022 at 12:38 AM, bbtablet said:

stopped only to reveal them already crammed full of able-bodied passengers

How do you know that they were "able bodied"?

Not all disabilities are visible and you should not make unsubstantiated assumptions.

• Like 5

the 4 lifts whizzed by or stopped only to reveal them already crammed full of able-bodied passengers, none of whom appeared prepared to sacrifice their comfortable ride down.

How do you know they were able bodied just because they weren't any wheelchairs  in there. I may look fine to walk up and down stairs but I can't and nor can husband. We are both in our 70s , he in late 70s and both have dodgy knees , he also has hip problems. I can't tell you how many times I have had to explain to people in lifts on P & O ships that I can't use the stairs ( this doesn't seem to happen on Princess and other lines) where people glare at you or make comments. Reminds me of the time someone, on P & O again, told a lady off for using the disabled toilet, of course was they didn't know was that she had done so do she could fix her colostomy bag. 

So please don't make assumptions without the facts.

• Like 6

45 minutes ago, david63 said:

How do you know that they were "able bodied"?

Not all disabilities are visible and you should not make unsubstantiated assumptions.

Maybe it was the giant suitcases they were carrying?,

Edited by terrierjohn

3 hours ago, terrierjohn said:

Maybe it was the giant suitcases they were carrying?,

I know its only a hypothetical scenario but even if true, should they have lugged heavy suitcases down the stairs? Potentially causing an accident to themselves and others?

Disembarkation was quite difficult for us too. Decided to self disembark with 2 adults 2 kids and about 7 or 8 bags in total. Was early so before any of the allotted times, but lifts whizzed by full for me too. One horrible set of people even stood there and deliberately let the doors close while my son was about to walk into the lift but had no hands free to try to stop it from closing. In the end 2 of us had to do the old go up to go down trick. Would like to have said that my experience of disembarkation day was a bit of an eye opener in terms of respect for fellow passengers - but sadly I wasn't that surprised.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JDB78 said:

I know its only a hypothetical scenario but even if true, should they have lugged heavy suitcases down the stairs? Potentially causing an accident to themselves and others?

Disembarkation was quite difficult for us too. Decided to self disembark with 2 adults 2 kids and about 7 or 8 bags in total. Was early so before any of the allotted times, but lifts whizzed by full for me too. One horrible set of people even stood there and deliberately let the doors close while my son was about to walk into the lift but had no hands free to try to stop it from closing. In the end 2 of us had to do the old go up to go down trick. Would like to have said that my experience of disembarkation day was a bit of an eye opener in terms of respect for fellow passengers - but sadly I wasn't that surprised.

We are wheelchair users and have come to accept that disembarkation day there will be a problem with the lifts, so we just have to be patient.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

We are wheelchair users and have come to accept that disembarkation day there will be a problem with the lifts, so we just have to be patient.

Yes we generally do away with the hassle of breakfast and therefore only have one lift to catch.  

Dai

4 hours ago, AlanCruise said:

As per the original post the shuttle in Porto was free for all passengers. I suspect some form of sponsorship!

The one in Lisbon was free for Select booking but otherwise £2 per trip (with a maximum of £4 it said)

Much appreciated, thank you very much.  I did read you said it was free, but having been to Porto only once before (Celebrity), it was chargeable but couldn't recall the amount although, I'm sure it will have increased in price.  Nice to know some things in life are still free!!!

As we progressed slowly down the levels, it was disturbing to see on every accomodation floor the whole area in front of the lifts full of wheel-chairs, often two-deep, with their users becoming increasingly distressed as the 4 lifts whizzed by or stopped only to reveal them already crammed full of able-bodied passengers, none of whom appeared prepared to sacrifice their comfortable ride down.

I suppose you might expect everyone to be a bit stressed out and apparently thoughtless on a crowded disembarkation day, and it might be quite disruptive to empty a lift to accommodate a wheelchair passenger, so everyone will just stay put.

It works both ways too, I am in my early seventies, walk with a walking stick and have some difficulty dragging my suitcase/hand luggage around. On one of my recent cruises a couple, wheelchair user and his wife, boarded an empty lift in front of me. I asked if there was room for me, No she said and shut the lift door.

Edited by GOQ
Spelling
  • Like 1

As this is a continuing repeated argument about what is actually a disability it is getting to the point where to stop the angst for some judging their fellow passengers everyone will need to wear different coloured labels to identify their levels of mobility!!!

However as this would be totally absurd those judging other lift users by their perception of "able bodied" might be well served to realise that hidden disabilities DO exist and it may well be the case that the person suffering one of these would actually be at more risk of a serious injury or collapse than a traditionally described disabled person. 

There seem to be many who refer to disabled people only being those in wheelchairs, however someone with a major heart condition, arthritis, COPD etc have equally as important reasons not to wish to climb up or down multiple flights of stairs.   How about those with excellent modern prosthetic limbs, many of which cannot even be seen under clothing?  Should they be expected to use the stairs or would people rather cause embarrassment by challenging someone they perceive as able bodied?  

Regarding luggage, well that's easily solved.  Stop walk off and make everyone use the luggage service!!  Not very popular? 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

As this is a continuing repeated argument about what is actually a disability it is getting to the point where to stop the angst for some judging their fellow passengers everyone will need to wear different coloured labels to identify their levels of mobility!!!

However as this would be totally absurd those judging other lift users by their perception of "able bodied" might be well served to realise that hidden disabilities DO exist and it may well be the case that the person suffering one of these would actually be at more risk of a serious injury or collapse than a traditionally described disabled person. 

There seem to be many who refer to disabled people only being those in wheelchairs, however someone with a major heart condition, arthritis, COPD etc have equally as important reasons not to wish to climb up or down multiple flights of stairs.   How about those with excellent modern prosthetic limbs, many of which cannot even be seen under clothing?  Should they be expected to use the stairs or would people rather cause embarrassment by challenging someone they perceive as able bodied?  

Regarding luggage, well that's easily solved.  Stop walk off and make everyone use the luggage service!!  Not very popular? 

I was with you all the way until the last 2 sentences. Unfortunately the luggage halls do not have elastic sides, so the more people that self disembark the better as far as I am concerned.

Every P&O cruise leaves me saying, in frustration, surely, SURELY, they could come up with a plan to help the last morning movements?  It would take a few staff but I feel it would pay dividends - leave passengers with a rosy glow and warm feelings, leading to future bookings, rather than the opposite

So - what do they do?  I’m not sure of the details but it would involve making (and policing!) some lifts wheelchairs, walkers and buggies, plus the rest of the travelling group, only; some lifts people going up and down to breakfast only (no luggage); and some lifts (possibly including the ‘not for public use’)  only for people and their luggage making their last journey up or down to the disembarkation deck.

This might need authoritative crew members riding the lifts, or policing the lift lobbies on each deck.  It would definitely require clear signage 

Could it work?  Who knows?  People are people but I think the majority are happy to keep to the rules, especially if they can see benefits

Part of the problem appears to be everyone wanting "their right" to leave a ship on their terms.  In their anxiety to make sure they meet their schedule people seem to lose all sense of perspective of what a ship's infrastructure can actually support.  So many people with large suitcases wanting to leave in a very limited timeframe inevitably leads to problems.  Many who have long journeys book to self disembark to save time as well but some of these are also stretching their physical abilities to actually do this carrying luggage.  

If lifts were labelled as for wheelchairs only someone would still be allocated to be the last off and this too would inevitably lead to complaints - why am I last, I've got an 8 hour drive etc.

Depending on how many wheelchair users are on a sailing perhaps allowing them to have breakfast at a set place near the exits could help solve the dilemma with one designated lift to assist in getting them to the venue.  A lot of the problem is caused by the buffet being high on the ships and the exit low.  

I must say I've not encountered as many problems on other lines, particularly American ones where organisation seems better.

In the end there isn't an ideal solution and maybe the passengers should just be less judgmental of each other and stop the stampede on the last morning.

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, Eddie99 said:

Every P&O cruise leaves me saying, in frustration, surely, SURELY, they could come up with a plan to help the last morning movements?  It would take a few staff but I feel it would pay dividends - leave passengers with a rosy glow and warm feelings, leading to future bookings, rather than the opposite

Last February Iona was several hours late docking at Southampton, my allocated disembarkation time would result in my arriving home very late and possibly missing my train, so I elected for self disembarkation. So did everybody else it would seem, with the resulting confusion and chaos it took well over an hour of queuing to get off the ship.

But they did try, even the captain was helping manage the queues. He spotted me dragging my suitcase with one hand and with a walking stick in the other, he pulled me out of my queue and said “As you are on a walking stick sir, please join the “family with children queue”, which was slightly shorter.

• Like 1